XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Honeymoon Is Over...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honeymoon Is Over...

Had a bad day today. My first service experience with Jaguar.. I brought my XF in for warentee work to address a) the sunroof was not closing as it was over reacting to the "pinch-preventer" sensor and b) fuel door difficult to open. Doesn;t sound like much but....

The service rep calls my office to say that he needs to keep car overnight as he needs to get a new sunroof motor.The second call comes and he tells me the car is ready becasue he cannot pin down an availability date for the replacement motor and I will need to live w/o the sunroof until then.........great, just in time for Spring! I questioned if it needed a new motor or just a sensor......he tells me the motor is too weak and needs replacement.

So, I guess taking early delivery for a new model goes with some consumer 'beta" testing...

The sunroof issue is something I can deal with. The second malfunction, the fuel filler door was more of a concern in the way the dealer made a mess of my new car! When I got home, I looked at the rear panel around the fuel door and it has lubricant overspray all over the panel and the rear wheel! I spent the evening cleaning up the mess. Only to find the "technician" smeared the same grease on my Oyster White interior...on the console...on te driver door...so I spent another sesion cleaning the leather.......

I cannot believe the disrespect for other people's property. I leave a $60,000 car in the hands of a supposenly qualified technician and this is the result. I am NOT a happy camper... I took digital photos and sent then to the service mgr..........Let's see what actions they take...

It is a hard reality since my last car was a Lexus with excellent service and quality, no defects at all!and before that a BMW .

I do love the car and all of it's finesse and performance, but quality service is a must...it's allpart of the total marque experience.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:02 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Honeymoon Is Over...

Sorry to hear of your troubles..but this confirms, I will be waiting at least another year before I step out for one, like I did on the X.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I've heard about the fuel door from a couple threads on here. Seems to be a little bug there that Jag needs to fix for the next batch of XFs. Finding the quality service at dealerships seem to be hit and miss. I know we hear alot of the 'misses', and the good one's go unmentioned most of the time. Mine really takes care of me, though I don't exactly like their 'cleaning detail' after a day of service.

Good luck with the sunroof motor. If it's that soon into ownership, sounds like they need beefier motors, or better quality control on their parts supplies.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

it sounds like you just got a bad dealer or sloppy tech. is there another dealer in your area? as for the fuel door. I think i remember seeing something that said push the dor in the center not the edges. give that a shot and see if it works.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I must second the fact that we only hear about the poor quality service here. Folks are not inclined to post about good service. Don't get discouraged. You did the right thing about taking pics and sending them to the service manager. At least grant them the chance to correct the problem.

Rest assured, the dealer techs that post on this forum are conscienous of a customer's car and keeping it clean. Don't paint with too broad a brush.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

thats crazy i wud of freaked out as well.. oyster interior is very delicate.. at real dealerships we have the cars inspected before and after use.. and the cars are always washed and cleaned before returning it to a customer.. the sunroof motor is bull.. simple adjustment.. fixses it.. the fuel door design came from land rover.. dint really like it.. but it is funtional when pressed in the center... the new xk alsohas had lots of fault with there fuel doors.. thought they wud change all that with the XF.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Can we see any of the pics that you sent over to the service manager? I would go ballistic.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:45 AM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

2nd Genius statement about cleanliness and the fuel door.
Owners manual says push door in the rear edge. The solenoid needs to sense the movement. Pushing the door in the middle always opens it. However, it also has a lockout feature. If you open it 3 times in 60 seconds, itwill lock for 60 seconds to prevent motor damage.
As Genius said,, the sunroof needs adjustment not motor. Take it somewhere else.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sorry but i wouldnt have cleaned it they would have had to clean it
its funny i have 04 x-type and my fuel door barely openes.

Stuff like this pisses me off cars have been around for over a century and you cant make sunroof that works
I mean how hard can it be. you can buy a car for 10k and be trouble free for two years. Its seems like more exspensive cars are being let off the hook for their blunders look at the x-type its as if there are no R&D for these cars...like when they design and make them they just "know" its all gonna work

Old 04-19-2008, 10:50 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

After owning a Jaguar and a Land Rover...these little things are known asQuirks...gives the car character[8D]

Old 04-20-2008, 06:29 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I operate a vehicle reliability survey, and read about this sort of sunroof issue in many different cars. I don't think I've read of a motor replacement to fix it, though. Usually it's a matter of a sensor or an adjustment. Since the car is so new, and the dealer supposedly checked it thoroughly, I hope we can rule out dirt.

Hope you're able to get this all sorted out without ruining your enjoyment of the car.

As for how common problems are with the XF, I hope to be able to report this in August. Just depends on how many owners sign up and participate in TrueDelta's survey.

It collects going forward, so even if people had problems before they join up this doesn't distort the results. Each month,fewer than 10% of the people participating report a repair (across all cars).

Vehicle reliability research

Old 04-21-2008, 05:59 AM

Thanks for info. I called the delaer to question the sunroof replace or adjust and they tell me the new units are sealed and cannot be adjusted. Can this be verified? I would prefer not having my roofliner pulled open and motor replaced....kind of like open heart surgury.... lol

Old 04-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you went to Heritage jaguar, in freeport.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:34 AM

It can be adjusted to prevent it popping open on its own while closing.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:47 PM

Thanks
I am going to reach out to my service mgr and share the comments I received.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:02 PM

just please dont mention me..lol

Old 04-24-2008, 07:44 PM

you can be sure....i never reveal my sources!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:29 PM

The adjustment btw is on the slide. Not the motor. The motor is sealed. The slide is not.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jcapotos
When I got home, I looked at the rear panel around the fuel door and it has lubricant overspray all over the panel and the rear wheel! I spent the evening cleaning up the mess. Only to find the "technician" smeared the same grease on my Oyster White interior...on the console...on te driver door...so I spent another sesion cleaning the leather.......

So how did you miss the grease on the interior while you were at the dealer. Even when I take my van to the Ford dealer, I do a full walk-around and check the interior. Some people just have no respect for other's property. I had to take my XF in to have the front plate bracket installed and walked around the car after that (just in case someone passed by my car with a tool in their pocket). Hope you called your dealer. Don't know if you already your customer satisfaction survey from JD Power, but I'd let your dealer know that that issue will be reflected on the survey - and believe me - they see those results.

Tommie

Old 04-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I took my x-type to the dealer to change the oil pan gasket ( WOOW $1300 for a $30 gasket and half hour labor) and they did the work same day and kept the car overnight. Not as bad for service but didnt clean my car - at least the rims man!

Quick Reply: Honeymoon Is Over...