XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

How to remove 2-part shell surrounding the rearview mirror arm and harness?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How to remove 2-part shell surrounding the rearview mirror arm and harness?

Anyone?

Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 AM
Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RoswellJAG
Anyone?
It has clips in the center, and holds together like a clam shell. It pops open easily, right down the middle. It actually has FoMoCo (Ford Motor Company) stamped on the inside. BTW, I'm also in Atlanta... just send me a PM, if you want some help with this stuff.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaxions
It has clips in the center, and holds together like a clam shell. It pops open easily, right down the middle. It actually has FoMoCo (Ford Motor Company) stamped on the inside. BTW, I'm also in Atlanta... just send me a PM, if you want some help with this stuff.

Very cool, thanks for the info and the offer. I just may take you up on that one of these days!

Old 08-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the opposite problem, in that, my item keeps coming loose. We purchased our 09 XF when it had about 24,000 miles on it. The very minute we drove off the lot in our 'new' car the shell surrounding the rearview mirror came apart and fell to the floor. (The driver's mirror came loose about 1/4 mile down the road as well. Welcome to Jaguar ownership!) I mention this in case someone - including a service person - had a similar problem with the item and may have glued it to keep it in place. There are only two small clips holding it together, as mentioned above. Despite our initial experience with Jaguar, we have since purchased our 08 XJ8 (my wife finally caved in to my constant whining and nagging for a second cat). Good luck.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm sorry that you're having issues with it coming loose. I haven't had any problems with my mirror wiring cover, on either my '09 XFS or '11 XFR, even after taking it apart and putting it back together several times, dismounting and remounting it onto the windshield several times, and also drilling holes and stuffing the extra radar detector wires through it. But, I've found that there's an optimal reassembly procedure and windshield placement, which requires aligning everything properly each step of the way. It's very simple, but if it isn't performed correctly, it's possible that it could come loose.

If absolutely necessary, I would probably use something besides glue to hold it together; possibly something like silicone, weatherstrip adhesive, or something else with a little bit of flexibility in addition to the adhesive properties (clearly, experiment prior to applying). Alternatively, I'd think that they're probably really cheap to replace, if you are having continued issues and the car is no longer under warranty.

Oh, and by the way, Jaguar hasn't recently suffered from the reliability and quality issues of old, really since acquisition and subsequent heavy investment by Tata, and without massive intrusiveness by the parent company, such of which Ford was so guilty. In fact, Jaguar has consistently been at the top of worldwide customer satisfaction surveys for several years, which are determined by ranking overall performance, design, comfort, quality, reliability, cost of ownership, economy, and dealer service satisfaction. And, in 2013, "following on from last year's success, the Jaguar XF once again scooped the top spot in the J.D Power and Associates / What Car? Survey Executive Car category. The XF is Jaguar's highest-selling product and has received more than 100 international awards since its launch. The XF was given five-star ratings for performance, service, and running costs." Source: Jaguar International - JAGUAR IS NAMED NUMBER 1 MANUFACTURER IN WHAT CAR? J.D. POWER SURVEY