XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Jaguar Downsizing engine for 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jaguar Downsizing engine for 2013?

You can read the whole article by clicking on the link but see the last paragraph in the excerpt below - XF is going to get the 3.0 V6 engine

Jaguar | 13MY Powertrain « Jaguar »*www.interactivejaguar.me

3.0-litre V6 Supercharged Petrol

Jaguar has established itself as a leader in the field of supercharged induction technology in order to extract the highest efficiency from its powerplants. Currently, supercharging is used to greatest effect in the XKR-S which produces 550PS and 680Nm from its acclaimed 5.0-litre V8 engine.

It is this same award-winning engine architecture which forms the basis for Jaguar’s new 3.0 V6 S/C and which helps it produce higher specific outputs than even the astonishing XKR-S. The engine will be presented in two states of tune depending on its application; the 380PS/460Nm version will be used exclusively in Jaguar's forthcoming new F-TYPE sports car while the 340PS/450Nm version will also join the powertrain line-up for the XF and XJ saloons.

The new quad-cam V6 shares its all-aluminium construction with the V8, with the lightweight die-cast block supplemented with cross-bolted main bearing caps to increase rigidity and therefore refinement. The four-valve cylinder heads are constructed of recycled aluminium.

The valves themselves are subject to control by a dual independent variable cam timing (DIVCT) system which is activated by the positive and negative torques generated by the movement of the intake and exhaust valves. This variable timing system features actuation rates of more than 150 degrees per second throughout the rev range, to optimise power, torque and economy at all engine speeds.

This responsive and uninterrupted power delivery is made possible through the use of spray-guided direct injection (SGDI) which delivers precisely measured quantities of fuel directly into the centre of the combustion chambers at pressures of up to 150bar. The fuel is delivered several times during each combustion cycle, creating a more homogenous air-fuel mixture for cleaner and more efficient combustion.

This is aided by an innovation new to this engine to maximise combustion efficiency; spark plugs which are precisely oriented both in relation to the injector and within the combustion chamber. The compression ratio is also raised from 9.5:1 in the supercharged V8 to 10.5:1, further improving fuel economy and reducing emissions.

Mounted in the ‘V’ of the engine is latest-generation Roots-type twin vortex supercharger, its use key to the 3.0 V6 S/C's high-specific output and efficiency. More compact than the model used with the V8, a water-cooled intercooler reduces the temperature of the intake air to optimise power and efficiency. New to the 3.0 V6 S/C is that the supercharger boost control is electronically supervised by new Bosch engine management software, offering efficiency gains of up to 20 per cent.

The inherent engineering integrity of the 3.0 V6 S/C's design meant that no alterations to the hardware or ancillaries were necessary in achieving the additional power and torque of the higher-output variant for the F-TYPE. In this higher state of tune, the 3.0 V6 S/C produces the greatest specific power output of any Jaguar engine to date; 127PS per-litre. This was achieved through recalibration of the electronic bypass of supercharger and throttle in order to increase boost without impacting emissions levels.

In creating the new 3.0 V6 S/C, Jaguar’s engineers devised an innovative system of counter-rotating front and rear balancer weights which lend it the same smoothness and refinement characteristics as its larger V8 brother.

The 3.0 V6 S/C Powertrain is completed by the Jaguar-tuned eight-speed automatic transmission from experts ZF. This transmission's large spread of ratios allow the engine’s prodigious power to be fully exploited while optimising economy and emissions. Efficiency is also boosted by the engine's compatibility with Jaguar’s Intelligent Stop-Start system which improves fuel consumption by up to seven per cent on the EU combined cycle. Utilising a twin solenoid starter, the system is able to restart the engine in less time than it takes for the driver’s foot to move from the brake to the accelerator, and in engine rundown 'change of mind' scenarios it is able to reenergise the engine via rapidly refuelling the cylinders.

In the XF the 3.0 V6 S/C will replace the naturally-aspirated version of the 5.0-litre V8 in all markets for the 2013 Model Year. In the XJ the 3.0 V6 S/C will replace the naturally-aspirated version of the 5.0-litre V8 in the majority of markets for the 2013 Model Year. Specific model-by-model economy and emissions figures will be issued on a market-by-market basis.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Interesting marketing

A V-6 flagship in the US instead of the 5 Liter V8? How impressive? The performance would have to be astounding or it could be a tougher sell in the US high performance premium car market. Usually when spending this kind of money, fuel economy is not number one on the list. If that's it; I would have a Leaf or a Volt. I drove the Audi A6 V6 supercharged and the XF 5.0 V8 same price similar mileage = no comparison. Jaguar 5.0 V8 hands down, but what do I know about consumer wants? Increased complexity same output+Great sounding V-6= Winning?

Last edited by edobernig; 04-24-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:01 AM

Porsche 911 has a 3.6 litre (6 cylinder) bi-turbocharged engine producing 620 hp .... So i don't want to judge based on the engine size as long as they do not lose the performance and the 'Jag' driving factor!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

HP numbers seem low for a supercharged 3.0L to me but I suppose they always start low so they can increase power in the later years. There are a lot of manufacturers with naturally aspirated V6's putting out over 300hp. I built a custom supercharger kit for a basic 2005 3.0L DOHC Taurus motor that was relatively tame with 420hp (crank hp).

Still, I think it's a good move for them. They can add the technology across the board to other engines. It's true that mpg isn't a top priority for people buying luxury cars but regulations are pushing manufactures to have a certain percentage of cars meet a certain mpg mark.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 04-24-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I am not very excited to hear this. Something with 6 spark plugs or less, i can't stand.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have always favored real ponies vs boosted ponies. If I were to choose a NA 5.0L V8 vs a 3.0L V6 Turbo or supercharged I pick the the V8 hands down. Top of the line
cars always have a V8 or V12. They may get away with this in Europe but no way in the US.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Rique
I have always favored real ponies vs boosted ponies. If I were to choose a NA 5.0L V8 vs a 3.0L V6 Turbo or supercharged I pick the the V8 hands down. Top of the line
cars always have a V8 or V12. They may get away with this in Europe but no way in the US.

I agree with you Rique,

Audi is becoming notorius for this crap. They're putting turbo charged 4 and 6 cylinders in cars and still charging 70K. V8 all the way for midsize to large European sedans being sold here in the states.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by ttboonie
I agree with you Rique,

Audi is becoming notorius for this crap. They're putting turbo charged 4 and 6 cylinders in cars and still charging 70K. V8 all the way for midsize to large European sedans being sold here in the states.
I hear ya man more and more 4,6 bangers with turbos. The VW 2liter Turbo engine is on Audi, Seat, Skoda, VW. Cheap ponies with turbos suck. Turbos have a short life and repairs cost 1500 and up replace... 3000US.
Nothing like inches...cubic that is.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Rique
Top of the line
Top of the line cars have always had the most powerful engines, which happened to be V8 or V12 in most cases. It is purely a perception issue. There is a generational consciousness shift in the younger generation (<30 years old maybe), that is already upon us. These are the next wave of luxury car buyers. Within 10 years, most buyers of high end cars will be demanding the cleverest engine tech that is powerful and efficient. They will care less about how this is achieved.

So, like it or not, it is coming. Even if US legislation doesn't demand it yet, it soon will and the Euro marques will not engineer powertrains solely for the US anyway. While I too will lament the decline of big engines, if you can do more with less, why wouldn't you? Gas will not get cheaper in the long run so at some point consumer demand will drive better efficiency in the US. The US is years behind the rest of the developed world with engine tech, driven solely by low taxes on gas. Time to wake up/catch up. I wish they would bring the 3.0 diesel to the US!

Old 04-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA vs. SC at altitude?

I'm shopping for a new car and I'm pretty set on the XF (base or portfolio). I was debating whether to wait for the 2013, and I was pretty disappointed to learn it's being downsized to a SC V6. That said, I live in Denver and I've been reading recently that a supercharged engine might not lose as much power at altitude as a naturally aspirated engine. I honestly don't have a great grasp on the physics of all this stuff, so I thought I'd ask for your opinions.

At 5280 feet, would you expect better performance from the new supercharged V6 or the current NA V8? I don't care about mpg, I'm just interested in whatever's more fun to drive

Old 04-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Supercharging is here to stay, especially for Euro built cars. Expect 300 hp roughly from 3.0 supercharged engine in standard tune, rising to a max of about 360 hp for high output versions. Higher power than that gets you driveability issues.

Most interesting will be non boosted versions of this new V6 in 3.0 liter size in the new F Type and the new baby Jag. These are to be aluminum cars so need a lot less power to deliver the performance we expect.

Presumably this is to be a 90 degree V6, as a development of the V8 to be built on the same production line. Audi made this configuration work very well as it allows for a lower hood line.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 PM

Jaguar introduces the new 5.0L V8 DFI in 2010. Its a very powerful and well rated engine. Suddenly rumors they will retire it after only 3 years.

The XJ8 engine has been around since 1998 in its different iterations and lasted till very recently. I say the 5.0 will still power the top of line for quite some time.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:17 PM

Hope so, Rique... Both my cars are 8 cylinders but you can't escape reality ...

New article from Top gear - They have already debuted the engine during the Beijing Auto Show.

Beijing 2012: the Jaguar XJ Ultimate - BBC Top Gear

Excerpt from this article:
'Sadly though, these new forced induction units will replace the naturally aspirated engines in 2013: the 2.0-litre turbo will take the place of the N/A 3.0-litre, and the new supercharged 3.0-litre will replace the N/A 5.0-litre V8 too. There is some solace to be found though, because the new F-Type - this beauty - will get a 375bhp version of the new supercharged 3.0-litre. And that's a good thing.'

Old 04-26-2012, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

XJ8 engine came out in 1991?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 PM

I don't think it will matter much to their sales. Generally, people don't care about the size of the engine, only the BHP. What will increase their sales is AWD. One can argue whether you really need it or not, but I've met a lot of people that would buy the Jag if it had it. I'd bet that when they add AWD and avertise it, their sales would easily double in the US the first year, then go up after that.

To "toughcookies" question, I live in Denver as well, and the NA V8 is fantastic. If there is a difference vs SC engines, it sure isn't noticeable, and it flies over mountain passes.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

Awd is on the way, optionally on the sedans and Sportbrake, next year probably. Silly idea but then SUV's are also popular and they are a silly idea.

There is no need for awd except in the minds of customers who do not understand its limitations. The number of times I have actually needed awd to drive on the road is barely a handful in 40 years of winter driving. On the other hand awd is always inefficient from a performance point of view, on paved roads maintained by competent road authorities. In the hands of an inexpert driver awd can be extremely dangerous in low traction conditions.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:03 PM

Are they also putting the smaller engine in the XK? Maybe they are downsizing the XF in order to more differentiate the two. Right now, the base XK is way more expensive than the base XF with the same engine and BHP.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

Not likely since the F Type is to get the new engine and is positioned well below the XK.

You have to experience the 3.0 V6 turbo diesel with 8 spd ZF automatic to believe it. In S form it is substantially quicker than the 4.2 gasoline V8 and more than a match for the 5.0 V8 in real world driving.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

I have to ask what model Jag was fitted with a V8 in 1991 ?? I have been around Jaguars for a few years & I don't recall the V8 that early.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Has anyone taken a good look @ the photos of the new V6 engine? I have been waiting to see if anyone has noticed anything odd/unusual about the crankshaft. Take a good look at the photos & you will see how Jaguar has made the V8 into a V6. Lets just say when Formula 1 went from a V10 to a V8 they took a different approach.

Quick Reply: Jaguar Downsizing engine for 2013?