XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

K & N Air Filter / thanks to forum members

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 02:45 AM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

I’ve used a K&N filter in my ‘XJ40 (8yrs) and in my current XJR and have had NO MAF issues.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

The very fact that these filters flow more air means that they flow more dirt, you cant have one without the other, its a physical impossibility. check the 'powerpoint', its not rocket science but i suppose that extra induction roar must mean that they work.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by phanc60844
This says differently

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

Stick to OEM, its better for the engine in the long run and your pocket
Will you please stop giving misleading information??

Stick to OEM, it is better for the engine? How? Why?
I think it is debatable yes K&N flows more so personally in an extremely dusty environments I will stick to paper air filters but say you live in Florida where it is hot and clear I think your engine would breath better with K&N. It all depends on the application and I know K&N says that their filters work in all environments but use common sense and you will be fine.

In the long run better for your pockets? Absolutely not
K&N filters if washed and oiled properly in reasonable time intervals can last up to the life of the car. How is it that paper air filters that you buy for $43 each so $86 on 5.0 motor that you have to change every 20k-30k miles is better for your wallet?
https://www.jaguarlandroverrenoparts...bC12OC1nYXM%3D

Not to mention the better performance of K&N (no matter how small it is)

Again please check on your information before you post. Some members on here don't have enough knowledge and they simply go on what other members suggest.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:27 AM

Have you even read the presentation, no probably. Well I've tried K&N filters and other than some nice induction roar, did absolutely nothing that I could detect. Then you spend loads of time checking it, does it need cleaning , well?? maybe, then there's the cleaners, do yo use x, y,z cleaners,all at a cost. Then which oil? thousands of posts on that one, x,y,z oils, all at a cost. Felt much more comfortable with a quality standard filter as theres nothing to worry about, very little difference in power and the presentation shows that its much kinder to your engine. As the powerpoint says, any dirt is too much and the K&N gives way too much

Old 12-07-2017, 11:36 AM

Have you even read the presentation, no probably. Well I've tried K&N filters and other than some nice induction roar, did absolutely nothing that I could detect. Then you spend loads of time checking it, does it need cleaning , well?? maybe, then there's the cleaners, do yo use x, y,z cleaners,all at a cost. Then which oil? thousands of posts on that one, x,y,z oils, all at a cost. Felt much more comfortable with a quality standard filter as theres nothing to worry about, very little difference in power and the presentation shows that its much kinder to your engine. As the powerpoint says, any dirt is too much and the K&N gives way too much
Yes I have indeed read the presentation before you assume no. When you have tried the K&N filters did you dyno your car to see the difference? I am assuming no or else you'd know. They add anywhere from 1whp to best case scenario 8whp depending on the car and how restrictive the OEM induction system is. OF COURSE you are not going to notice the power it is probably 3-5 whp that you picked it is not like you added a supercharger. Best way to measure power increase is to run a similar car to yours in a race or a dyno and see before/after results.

Then there is the cleaning oils, there is no A,b,c,d,e,f,x,y,z. Just use the K&N brand and oil it properly and just check it as often as you check your regular air filter. If it needs cleaning clean it which I can't imagine you will be doing more often than 15,000 miles anyways.

You want to stick to the presentation be my guest, but just like this presentation there are probably many presentations out there that says otherwise.

Best of luck

Old 12-07-2017, 11:54 AM

wow, 3-5hp? you can get more than that testing the car on a high pressure day compared to a low pressure day, or even a cold day compared to hot day. Last time I looked , K&N dont quote specific power gains on their site, wonder why? all they say is generally 1-4 hp, so when someone claims 16hp, come on please!! Show me a workshop with a dyno that can detect a 1hp gain? or even 2 for that matter?

Old 12-07-2017, 11:58 AM

wow, 3-5hp? you can get more than that testing the car on a high pressure day compared to a low pressure day, or even a cold day compared to hot day. Last time I looked , K&N dont quote specific power gains on their site, wonder why? all they say is generally 1-4 hp, so when someone claims 16hp, come on please!! Show me a workshop with a dyno that can detect a 1hp gain? or even 2 for that matter?
Stick with OEM filters. They are better for your engine and your wallet

Old 12-07-2017, 12:01 PM

Is that all you've got to say? funny

Old 12-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Well earlier in the thread you were claiming that using K&N filters can lead to engine damage, which I certainly don't mind calling out as complete bullshit, so careful throwing those stones from your glass house there.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
Well earlier in the thread you were claiming that using K&N filters can lead to engine damage, which I certainly don't mind calling out as complete bullshit, so careful throwing those stones from your glass house there.
Man. Sometimes you have better chances convincing dead people than some of the people here. Unfortunately doctors are yet to find a cure for stupidity.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:23 PM

Is that all you've got to say? funny
No but you seem like one of those people that want to argue about everything. I told you what K&N gets you as far as additional power and you go ranting about cold days and hot days. Everyone knows about power output in high pressure vs low pressure and cold temps vs hot temps and I was very clear what K&N would roughly add in terms of power given any circumstances you have your car on a dyno.

You still wouldn't comment on the false information you gave about paper filters being better for your wallet and choose to evade and comment about something else. You are yet to show us all here how using OEM paper filters that cost $83 on each filter change for 5.0 and 3.0supercharged engine owners vs K&N filters that cost $90 and get changed one time.

You are also to elaborate on how K&N filters damage your engine but you won't because you can't explain, you just claim.

Like I said, please be responsible when you post info on this forum as a lot of people here may take your word for it.

You may state your experience about a product wether it is good or bad however please don't go recommending x or z when you haven't tested all parameters.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:40 PM

What part of k and n filters pass far more dirt than oem can't you relate to engine damage ? Duh? Why do think engines have filters in the first place? If you really need that explaining do you think you should be messing around with cars?

Old 12-07-2017, 12:46 PM

What part of k and n filters pass far more dirt than oem can't you relate to engine damage ? Duh? Why do think engines have filters in the first place? If you really need that explaining do you think you should be messing around with cars?
I guess you're right man. From now on I will be using Expensive OEM filters only and do $300 oil specific changes at the dealership to maximize my engine life.:icon_deadhor se:

I am done here

Old 12-07-2017, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Please give a single example of an engine that has been damaged due to a K&N filter being fitted. I'll wait.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:15 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

How many miles were on the stock air filters you replaced?

Old 12-07-2017, 01:21 PM

As I understand it; K&N have bigger air passages = better airflow.
The oil (which now comes in a spray bottle for easier application) coats the filaments.
As the air passes over it creates an electro static field that traps the ‘rocks’ (ok so listening to the video I am not correct in my recall)

K&N now have a filter monitor that registers the depression on the engine side of the airbox and indicates when you need to wash and re-oil. (Caveat dosen’t work on the SC engines, BTDT)
David Vizard was supplied a huge box of K&N filters early in the piece and tested them if I can be bothered I might try to find the video on you tube.
Just my 2c

Last edited by Robman25; 12-07-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:52 PM

Found it, those that have heard of David Vizard will know that he is well known in the tuning field.
The part regarding K&N starts at 5mins in and goes for about 10-12 mins.

The following 3 users liked this post by Robman25:
avos (12-08-2017), Bigg Will (12-07-2017), fabfive (12-09-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Thats fine for racing, im sure you have deep enough pockets to change the engine out on a regular basis. For me, 2 hp gain isnt worth shortening the life of my engine or gunking up the MAF
See, I don't speak on things I don't have experience with.
1991 5.0 GT 8 years running a K&N filter with NO issues. Sold
1999 Camaro Z28 10 years on the LS1 (Spun a cam bearing at 147kmi, won so many races with it I should have had that engine bronzed..lol) and 3 years on a crate LS6, in the same car with a K&N filter NO issues. Sold
My 1997 Chevy Silverado 350 with 287 kmi (it's never even had the intake off) NO issues.
And yes currently my XFR at 85kmi again with NO issues. Let alone a "shorting of engine life", as you say.
Oh and "Flowing more air" as you say has to equate to more power that's engine science 101, since an engine is basically an air pump. The K&N is designed to trap the additional dirt associated with the increased air flow. But if you know of anyone who's lost an engine fed air through a K&N, please share? I'll wait..

Stop believing what you're reading, talk to people who run them. Here's a real word test and note it's a Nissan being tested..lol

Last edited by Bigg Will; 12-07-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by croco
I guess you're right man. From now on I will be using Expensive OEM filters only and do $300 oil specific changes at the dealership to maximize my engine life.:icon_deadhor se:

I am done here
just for the record, jaguar dont make air filters, so an OEM filter doesnt have to have jaguar on the box or be purchased from a jag dealer. the OEM filters I buy are £8, K&N are £60. Also show me one k&N owner who actually lets their filter go for the 50-100k miles that K&N claim before cleans and I'll stand up and say they are a liar. I was in a club and the hp freaks there were cleaning theirs anything from every 6 months to one who swore that cleaning it every week was best . Now they were using carb or brake cleaner on theirs, again there are thousand of posts out there as to which is best if you are having trouble sleeping. carb and brake cleaner are about £3 a can, so thats £6-156 a year that people were spending on cleaner alone. My filter cost me £8 that lasts 2 years, i'm sure that you can do the maths. as for engine wear, please look on the presentation to see how much dirt a K&N passes over stock before you ridicule me. if it was an oil filter we were talking about, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

just for the record, jaguar dont make air filters, so an OEM filter doesnt have to have jaguar on the box or be purchased from a jag dealer. the OEM filters I buy are £8, K&N are £60. Also show me one k&N owner who actually lets their filter go for the 50-100k miles that K&N claim before cleans and I'll stand up and say they are a liar. I was in a club and the hp freaks there were cleaning theirs anything from every 6 months to one who swore that cleaning it every week was best . Now they were using carb or brake cleaner on theirs, again there are thousand of posts out there as to which is best if you are having trouble sleeping. carb and brake cleaner are about £3 a can, so thats £6-156 a year that people were spending on cleaner alone. My filter cost me £8 that lasts 2 years, i'm sure that you can do the maths. as for engine wear, please look on the presentation to see how much dirt a K&N passes over stock before you ridicule me. if it was an oil filter we were talking about, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
So your buddy are cleaning their filters with brake and carb cleaner FAIL? Wish you'd said that first, then we would have known what mentality we were trying to discuss this with. Adios

Quick Reply: K & N Air Filter / thanks to forum members