XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

K & N Air Filter / thanks to forum members

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up K & N Air Filter / thanks to forum members

Based upon the recommendations and commentary from members of this forum, I installed a K & N air filter yesterday on my 09 XF 4.2 V8 and WOW! The difference in performance is amazing! Makes me feel as if I had been “choking” my engine with the previous air filter (FRAM I believe-was existing when I purchased the car). But alas, now he (the car) can breathe......best $46 dollars I ever spent! Also used K&N oil filter on my first oil change.

I want to thank the enthusiasts on this forum who contribute their knowledge and experiences. This is my first JAG and i readily admit that I was intimidated as well as fascinated by the complexity of the car. I was afraid to do much more than raise the hood when it came to maintenance etc. lol. Having such a wealth of information available on this forum is making my first experience as a JAG owner much much more pleasurable and exciting. You guys (and gals) are the best!

Old 12-03-2017, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Glad it's going better now.
But a new K&N is no better than a new OEM air filter, which tells me that your previous air filter was probably clogged and well overdue for replacement.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
ariba (06-03-2018), Clovis997 (01-20-2023)
Old 12-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Try an OE filter - same power and won't dirty the MAF(s).

The following 3 users liked this post by JagV8:
Clovis997 (01-20-2023), Injekter (12-07-2017), Matthew King (01-20-2023)
Old 12-03-2017, 06:19 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I tried K&N filter after everyone else said that they won't make any power,, Dyno proven I picked up 5 whp on average on 3 dyno runs before and after.

I did three dyno runs with a tune with stock air filter. 1st, 2nd and 3rd runs were 368,369 and 370 respectively. Installed K&N air filter with the same tune file and the three runs were 376,375 and 375 whp. This was on a 2012 5.0 Naturally aspirated.

Best Of luck

Old 12-05-2017, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

I call that a big hot croco-(****)...lol....first of all the 5.0L N/A made 383 BHP....which would translate to little over 300 WHP...what tune gives a N/A car over 75 WHP!?????

That is unheard of and impossible!!! I am sure you meant to say you were in a supercharged XF right???

Old 12-05-2017, 07:33 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

If the crock really does have an NA motor I suspect his shop is giving him calculated crank numbers and he is assuming they are wheel numbers. The numbers quoted are right at where you would expect the crank horsepower on a 6 to 7 year old motor. People who get all caught up in such numbers need to bear in mind that there are dozens of ways to "measure" horsepower, multiplied by dozens more conversion factors applied in various ways. Different dynos often yield very different numbers. While this does not make vehicle power comparisons "apples-to-oranges," it does make them "Winesap-to Granny Smith."

Old 12-05-2017, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

If the shop is giving him crank HP, then they have no business being in the dyno business, since it is understood that the dyno will provide Wheel HP numbers not Brake HP...no shop with a dyno will give you BHP. Even on a creampuff dyno, those numbers would be extremely high anyways......lol...besides...the OP discussion realted to K&N filters...I had no idea this topic was so hotly contested. It's only FILTERS people !!!!! Changing the air filters will not give you a 75 HP increase to your car...lol....You might get 2 BHP or roughly 1.5 WHP..hahahahahahahahaha

Once and for all....(hahaha...as if this is the last K&N filter thread !!!)....The biggest advantage to getting doing the air filter mod is getting sharper throttle response and increase supercharger whine, which you will get for sure, but if you have an N/A car, you should notice sharper throttle response at least...for me, the increased sound and the slight increase in throttle response was enough for me to justify the price.

...just don't get on here saying you got 75 WHP from a filter swap...cause I have spend thousands and thousands on my mods and have barely got to the point where I can brag about a 70 WHP gain...lol

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 12-05-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Lots of tuners these days provide calculated bhp. I don't like it, but it's becoming the norm.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

And Cherry, I've attended at least 5 K&N dyno days as they are right here in Riverside CA and the numbers don't lie from the motorcycle and 2 all wheel car dynos they run. their filters consistently show a 4 to 16 hp gain over stock. Truly one of the nicest manufacturers I've ever associated with.
https://www.knfilters.com/kn/virtual-tour.htm
You don't exist since 1969, or run a facility this nice by selling snake oil.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 12-05-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
If the shop is giving him crank HP, then they have no business being in the dyno business, since it is understood that the dyno will provide Wheel HP numbers not Brake HP...no shop with a dyno will give you BHP. Even on a creampuff dyno, those numbers would be extremely high anyways......lol...besides...the OP discussion realted to K&N filters...I had no idea this topic was so hotly contested. It's only FILTERS people !!!!! Changing the air filters will not give you a 75 HP increase to your car...lol....You might get 2 BHP or roughly 1.5 WHP..hahahahahahahahaha

Once and for all....(hahaha...as if this is the last K&N filter thread !!!)....The biggest advantage to getting doing the air filter mod is getting sharper throttle response and increase supercharger whine, which you will get for sure, but if you have an N/A car, you should notice sharper throttle response at least...for me, the increased sound and the slight increase in throttle response was enough for me to justify the price.

...just don't get on here saying you got 75 WHP from a filter swap...cause I have spend thousands and thousands on my mods and have barely got to the point where I can brag about a 70 WHP gain...lol
Man and I thought you were the one that understood a little bit. Apparently you don't understand anything about cars if that's your translation of the situation.

Why? Here is why.

First of all I never claimed that I gained 75 whp from filter swaps and I dare you to find the post were I said that I gained 75 whp from filters swap.

Here is what I said: "I did three dyno runs with a tune with stock air filter. 1st, 2nd and 3rd runs were 368,369 and 370 respectively. Installed K&N air filter with the same tune file and the three runs were 376,375 and 375 whp. This was on a 2012 5.0 Naturally aspirated.

This means I did 370 whp approximately without the filters. After the filters I gained about 5 whp. So 5 not 75. I don't know where you coming up with 75whp.

To also show you how you don't understand a thing about cars you said that 5.0 naturally aspirated produces 383 hp (crank). As far as I know they are 385 hp crank. 2hp isn't much difference, so you were almost right there. Then you said they should put a little over 300 whp stock.

Theoretically speaking RWD cars lose about 15% of the power on the dyno and AWD cars lose about 20% power on the dyno. If the theory is correct that means my car should put down 327 whp which it did put down stock 321 whp. 5whp were lost due to my cats were clogged a little bit and also to age of engine or maybe other factors like heat...etc. I am attaching a dyno graph which specifically shows baseline power and after tuning. Mind you this was done by AMR performance and they have dyno Dynamics not dyno jet and Dyno jet usually reads a little higher.

I took my car to a shop and installed high flow cats, Exhaust and returned to the dyno. Only this time I did the retune by Eurocharged and Jerry the tuner advised me to go to their Cincinnati, OH location so they can data log and see all the parameters. First Three dyno runs were 368,369 and 370 respectively on DYNO JET. I was paying Eurocharged by the hour because I wanted my car to be tuned right after AMR performance messed up my car. Then Jerry (The tuner) advised that he was running out of air for the engine, I swapped the filters with K&N and back on the dyno it put down 376,375, 375 whp over 3 runs. I don't have the dyno runs from Eurocharged but I am attaching the old dyno graph from AMR which indicates that my cats were robbing power.

So please stop giving misleading information, and stop claiming that I said things that I didn't (75whp from filters pfffff) and above all please stop embarrassing yourself trying to look like "Mr. Bad@$$ I know it all" no wonder when you said I have spent thousands and thousands to get 70whp, and now I see why lol

Last edited by croco; 12-06-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:12 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

How many miles on the stock air filters you replaced?

Old 12-06-2017, 04:13 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

This says differently

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

Stick to OEM, its better for the engine in the long run and your pocket

Old 12-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by croco
Man and I thought you were the one that understood a little bit. Apparently you don't understand anything about cars if that's your translation of the situation.

Why? Here is why.

First of all I never claimed that I gained 75 whp from filter swaps and I dare you to find the post were I said that I gained 75 whp from filters swap.

Here is what I said: "I did three dyno runs with a tune with stock air filter. 1st, 2nd and 3rd runs were 368,369 and 370 respectively. Installed K&N air filter with the same tune file and the three runs were 376,375 and 375 whp. This was on a 2012 5.0 Naturally aspirated.

This means I did 370 whp approximately without the filters. After the filters I gained about 5 whp. So 5 not 75. I don't know where you coming up with 75whp.
First off, I think if it'd be good if everyone toned it down a bit in this thread. No need for everyone to get so uppity

Secondly, the reason he thought you claimed 75bhp is you wrote

Originally Posted by croco
the three runs were 376,375 and 375 whp.
whp = Wheel Horse Power = power measured at the wheels. Cherry_560sel has stated that the 5.0 NA car puts out around 300 at the wheels, so this is likely where the confusion arose. If you have mods other than filters to bring your baseline before the filters were changed up to a higher number then that obviously needs to be taken into account.

Last edited by davetibbs; 12-06-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
First off, I think if it'd be good if everyone toned it down a bit in this thread. No need for everyone to get so uppity

Secondly, the reason he thought you claimed 75bhp is you wrote

whp = Wheel Horse Power = power measured at the wheels. Cherry_560sel has stated that the 5.0 NA car puts out around 300 at the wheels, so this is likely where the confusion arose. If you have mods other than filters to bring your baseline before the filters were changed up to a higher number then that obviously needs to be taken into account.
So what you just quote what you want sir? and leave the rest? why didn't you quote the whole line?

First of all he mentioned "with hot croco sh*t " and on his second reply said don't be coming here claiming you made 75whp from a K&N like I am trying to give false information.

I specifically said 368,369 and 370 whp with a tune with stock filters and right after that I said: " 376, 375, 375 with K&N filters". I don't see why he could think that K&N filters would add 75 whp.

Also I mentioned in my second reply that after the tune I went to a shop to get high flow cats and exhaust and then added air filters, so the car was stock other than a tune when it made 369 whp.

Also how can he or you think that I said BHP not WHP? I SPECIFICALLY SAID WHP and he didn't say around 300 whp like you wrote, he mentioned a little over 300 whp. You'd think a little means somewhere in the 301 to 309. 327whp theoritically is far from a little over 300.

With all due respect to everyone who responds. If you have informative information please do share otherwise stop claiming crap on people's posts when you really don't know your own sh*t.

Last edited by croco; 12-06-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Ok Croco. I apologize for misreading your post.

When I had my N/A 5.0L I searched high and low for tuners that could get me increased HP...Eurocharged had a tune that claimed a 25 BHP increase for around $900. If I removed the cats from the vehicle, I would get MAYBE another 25 BHP...so with a tune and a loud as hell car, I will have gained 50 BHP. I think if i remember correctly when I put my N/A 5.0L on the dyno it came in at 293 WHP stock....so, using the accepted 20% drive train loss (which is actually not for AWD vehicles...but you can argue that point somewhere else). That gave me about 40 WHP in addition to the 293 WHP that I was making from the N/A stock motor. What I meant to call b.s. on was your claim of producing +75 WHP over the stock numbers, which from my experience is a false figure that is simply unattainable from the mods you described. sorry if that makes you mad, but I am pretty sure that there are plenty of others here that would also find your claim of 375 WHP to be a bit hard to swallow as that translates to roughly 470 BHP from the N/A 5.0L XF. if these numbers were attainable, there would be a ton of XF owners lined up for that

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 12-06-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
Ok Croco. I apologize for misreading your post.

When I had my N/A 5.0L I searched high and low for tuners that could get me increased HP...Eurocharged had a tune that claimed a 25 BHP increase for around $900. If I removed the cats from the vehicle, I would get MAYBE another 25 BHP...so with a tune and a loud as hell car, I gained 50 BHP...using the universally accepted 20% drive train loss (which is actually not for AWD vehicles...but you can argue that point somewhere else). That gave me about 40 WHP in addition to the 305 WHP that I was making from the N/A motor. What I ment to call b.s. on was your claim of producing 375 WHP. Which from my experience is a false figure that is simply unattainable from the mods you described. sorry if tht makes you mad, but I am pretty sure that there are plenty of others here that would also find your claim of 375 WHP to be a bit hard to swallow.

It's all good man. I apologize to you and the rest of the members if I appeared offending, I don't mean to.

When I saw you were in Texas I was like he must've heard about Eurocharged. Indeed in the beginning I told them how could you possibly only net from a 25whp tune. Philip @ Eurocharged said we usually advertise conservitive numbers. You know how people are. If advertised 45whp gain and car only gains 44whp people would bring sh*t storm on the tuning company. That's why they only advertise 25whp like most other companies do for JLR 5.0 naturally aspirated motors.

Also remember that dyno jet is usually the most generous dyno on planet. had I taken it back to AMR's dyno dynamics with the same Eurocharged and K&N filters it would've probably dyno'ed 365ish. Dyno Dynamics is a lot heavier and Dyno Mustang is a killer lol.

Also wanna know the dirty little secret to the 375whp? I am using your old spires mufflers that you sold to one of the members here lmfao .. I mean no sarcasm I swear.

But yeah 5.0 NA tuning potential is great. Unfortunately everytime I was looking for a tuning thread about the 5.0 NA members are discouraging the OP not to do it because it is not worth it and I am like really people?!! I have been in the tuning game for a little over 10 years now and I know what a tune can do if done right. That's why my model is stop listening from those who probably didn't even try it and just stick to the reviews of people who have actually tried the product and that's why I wrote a complete review about my tune and how I encouraged people to do it if you are looking for more power out of your 5.0 NA.

Like Wheel spacers and K&N Filters I see a lot here say NOOOOOO don't do it. Have they actually tried it? No but their service advisor said no which is the same service advisor that they listen to when recommending $300 oil change.

I mean to each their own. Like I said my advice is to only consult those who tried the product (Whatever it is) on that specific vehicles and then see their review, but also investigate why if it was a negative review.

Best of Luck to everyone

Old 12-06-2017, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by phanc60844
This says differently

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

Stick to OEM, its better for the engine in the long run and your pocket
Oh yes, 1 powerpoint presentation always beats 48 years of racing experience. lol

Old 12-07-2017, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Oh yes, 1 powerpoint presentation always beats 48 years of racing experience. lol
Or how Jaguar themselves use ITG aftermarket filters on at least one of the Project 8 XEs? If OEM was just as good, why would they bother?

Old 12-07-2017, 12:50 AM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Thats fine for racing, im sure you have deep enough pockets to change the engine out on a regular basis. For me, 2 hp gain isnt worth shortening the life of my engine or gunking up the MAF

Old 12-07-2017, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by phanc60844
Thats fine for racing, im sure you have deep enough pockets to change the engine out on a regular basis. For me, 2 hp gain isnt worth shortening the life of my engine or gunking up the MAF
K&N filters shorten engine life or lead to changing engines out? Are you for real? They're a slightly freer-flowing air filter, just what kind of damage do you think they're capable of doing to an engine? People have been using them for decades on all sorts of engines from race engines to single-cylinder lawnmowers. The worst effect you'll suffer from using one is possibly a smaller HP increase than you were expecting.

There are some MAFs people have reported problems from being "gunked up" but I suspect in most cases this is people over-oiling the filter or not leaving it time to dry before using the car. Either way, I'd say they were demonstrably fine to use in almost every application.

Quick Reply: K & N Air Filter / thanks to forum members