XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

K&N Air filters- What a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default K&N Air filters- What a difference!

My friend put a K&N air filter in his parents 09 XF and he told me the K&N filter made a huge difference. With the new XF having 2 air box's and the XFR being supercharged I knew I would also be able to see a difference.

I was proven right because right after I put them in the car woke up and even the gas mileage went up a little bit. The tires wanted to break loose and the throttle response was crisper and more responsive.

No doubt the car can breathe a lot better now. The factory air filters are not only restrictive but they are twice the thickness of a normal air filter. This was clearly a great first mod. Just thought I would share my feedback.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:34 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Vig
My friend put a K&N air filter in his parents 09 XF and he told me the K&N filter made a huge difference. With the new XF having 2 air box's and the XFR being supercharged I knew I would also be able to see a difference.

I was proven right because right after I put them in the car woke up and even the gas mileage went up a little bit. The tires wanted to break loose and the throttle response was crisper and more responsive.

No doubt the car can breathe a lot better now. The factory air filters are not only restrictive but they are twice the thickness of a normal air filter. This was clearly a great first mod. Just thought I would share my feedback.
Do you have a 4.2 Supercharged or is 5 liter supercharged. The 4.2 Supercharged had an issue with Air Filters and misfiring on cold starts. Now that doesn't mean that it will misfire if you put the K&N filters in. I would just be careful, and keep that in mind. Now I don't know, it may be fine. I might just be overthinking too much.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:34 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Nevermind you have the 5.0 liter. Give it a try.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:21 AM

No issues at all and it's been in the 20 degrees lately. Car idles the same as it did before. My friend's parents car is a 4.2 non supercharged and they also have no issues.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the 2010 XF 5L. I wonder if it would help. I have K&N filters in my Porsche 911 and Land Cruiser and the filters seem to help but both of those vehicles are over 10 years old. I wasn't sure about a newer vehicle with modern systems.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ajmarton
I have the 2010 XF 5L. I wonder if it would help. I have K&N filters in my Porsche 911 and Land Cruiser and the filters seem to help but both of those vehicles are over 10 years old. I wasn't sure about a newer vehicle with modern systems.
Without a doubt, the 4.2 saw an increase and the 5.0 will see one as well. I have a K&N on my Cobra and have also had other air intake systems and I can honestly say I felt as much if not more of a difference with just the K&N panel filters in my XFR. Of course being supercharged u feel it a little more because of forced induction but there is still improvement on cars without a supercharger.

I thought my friend was pulling my leg until I installed them I realized the difference. Keep in mind the 5.0 has a dual intake so you are replacing 2 restrictive filters. An $82 mod for me was well worth it. Mileage is already better too. Lastly newer cars are more intuitive so I think the gains are greater especially with mass air flow meters compared to speed density technology.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Johnny,

stupid question, where did you get the air filters and how easy or hard is it to change out the air filter, and if I change the air filter will that in anyway void my maintenance warranty? thanks and sorry for all the questions

Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, nevermind I just looked on e-bay and they had the filters on there for $41 and states that they will not void the warranty.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by drjp
Ok, nevermind I just looked on e-bay and they had the filters on there for $41 and states that they will not void the warranty.
You found them, should be $82 shipped. Don't ever sweat asking questions. That's what a forum is all about.

Install was very straight forward- you just need a torx socket/tool to loosen the air-boxes. Might be a T-10 can't remember, but there are like 8 or so on each air box. Just take your time on the passenger air box because when you go to lift the lid; it's a tight fit to get it up thru a near by bracket.

20 minutes max for install and if you have an extra set of hands the other person can hold up the air box while you lift out the old filter and insert the new one.

Let me know how it goes. If you decide to do it after the holidays shoot me a message and I can stop by and give you a hand.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Vig

This was my first mod also, and yes they do make a difference. I also have had either K&N or other cone filters in most of my rides.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:36 AM

Great! Nice to hear first hand about someone's experience with them. I ordered two on Amazon as there was a next day free shipping promo for Xmas. I guess it can be a gift for myself. I'll install the filters over the weekend and post the results.

Andrew

Old 12-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K&N's are great filters. I have them on my other cars. But for the XFR i was considering apexi. anybody know if they make a size filter for our cars or intake?

Old 12-26-2010, 01:16 PM

Installed the K&N filters in my 2010 XF. It seems a little more responsive. I can "burn" some rubber from a standing start in Dynamic mode without flooring it. Something that I couldn't do before with the stock filters. Could be all in my head but there seems to be some improvement.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:06 PM

It's not in your head- I felt the same thing.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemrosim
K&N's are great filters. I have them on my other cars. But for the XFR i was considering apexi. anybody know if they make a size filter for our cars or intake?
I was told there would be no gains on modifying the intake on the Supercharged versions of the 5.0 (XF SC and XFR) as the factory did it right, already has two oversize intakes on the engine out of the box.

Mike

Old 12-27-2010, 02:24 AM

Now I'm wondering if an exhaust mod / kit is worth it. Something like the MINA.
http://www.minagallery.com/jagxp/Jag...ey-exhaust.htm

Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Okay, now here is a what could be a stupid question . . . how much different is a cold air intake than changing the air filters to K&N? I ask this because, last year, my wife wanted to get me the dual cold air intakes required for my XFR for Christmas. When we asked my service consultant, he told me not to do it because it throws off the ECU air/fuel mix and will trip the check engine light. He also told me that since the intakes are down low, it may bring in unwanted moisture that could cause damage.

I'm definitely interested in doing some modifications, and the K&N is a natural first step. But want to make sure it works well with no warranty or reliability issues.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

The stock air boxes are already cold air intakes, so make sure that anyone offer a re-design of that also have made it in such a way you still get cold air (outside hot engine bay!).

Next hurdle are the MAF sensors, they are very sensitive, so altering the airflow (by for instance putting the MAF sensor in a new tube) will have a negative effect as the service consultant mentioned.

One would have to do some extensive testing, and should be able to produce some reports for example in airflow (off and on the car)/power delivery etc, and if the selling company is not able to produce this, stay away from them!

Old 12-28-2010, 02:45 AM

I stayed away from that particular mod because of the warranty and possible finger pointing if there was a future problem. BUT with that said, I installed the K&N cold air induction kit on my 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser and it made a world of difference. The L/C got louder and you can definitely hear the engine roar (air suction) inside the cabin but the engine is much more responsive. So much so that two of my friends went and ordered the kit for their SUVs based upon what they saw after I installed mine. And there have been no issues with the MAF sensor in the L/C.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

I should have been more specific in that the test reports should oviously be of the same car / model you are looking for, so an XFR in this case.

Quick Reply: K&N Air filters- What a difference!