XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Need help 2012 jaguar xfr noise!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 04:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help 2012 jaguar xfr noise!

Hi Guys!
I have been following the forum quite a lot, and decided to take help because i found a lot of helpful comments here. Just a little background on my 2012 Jaguar XFR, it has 106k miles right now. Within the last 6000 miles, ive had a new water pump, intake boot, all coils and spark plugs replaced. There was a brake vaccum leak that was also taken care of. However the car makes this click noise when its hot usually. Attached is a video! I have not got any work done from the dealer because the dealer is 80 miles away, got it done all through a reputable german auto repair shop. Please advice what it may be, it is not the supercharger that is making the noise but it is around there. The mechanic took off the supercharger belt and let the ca ridle, and it still made the noise. Also i bought the car at 100k miles so have only owned it since 6 months...know really little about its previous history!

Old 03-17-2020, 04:41 AM

Also guys, I thought since not everybody does this, i would like to show my beast...not very fond of the black! but love the red interior! She sounds meaner than looks!

Old 03-17-2020, 09:13 AM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

I don't think that's an XFR. Based on the front, it looks like an XF Supercharged.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That would be your timing tensioners/guides. I am in process replacing them right now as well.

The following users liked this post:
Sanket Mishra (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020, 01:28 PM
Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
I don't think that's an XFR. Based on the front, it looks like an XF Supercharged.
Its definitely not an "R", there is nothing on the passenger side of the interior trim, and there is nothing embossed into either of the seats.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:07 PM

Hey TX!

So here is what the dealer had told me when i bought the car from him, he said that in the USA specced XF Supercharged, you could order it in both power outputs from the factory, i.e the 475 HP and the 510 HP, this one was a 510 HP which is same as the XFR. He said the only additional thing the XFR comes standard with is they dont ask for extra money if you get the Red interior. This had that as a paid option too. Do you think i was ripped? Just bought the car 6 months ago!

Old 03-17-2020, 08:08 PM

Hey! Interesting! So usually are they replaced at 100k miles? What would be the cost associated with it? And what is the damage it can do to other parts if i leave it like that for a while?

Old 03-17-2020, 08:17 PM

Jaguar doesn't mention anything about replacing them. Land Rover, that uses the same engine, has a technical service bulletin about it. The guides are made out of aluminum and the tensioners steel, so it pounds a hole in the back of the guide over time. Newer 5.0's don't have the same problem, as they updated the guides to have a steel insert.

It's about $500 in parts plus labor. I'm doing it myself, so I can't help you with cost there, however, the Land Rover TSB lists about 9 hours. It does require some special tools, so not just any mechanic will be able to handle it for you.

I bought my car with 75,000 and it was making the noise from day 1. I'm now at 104,000 and haven't had any problems. If you have the resources, I would advise taking care of it now. If the chain slips or the guide breaks, you are out an engine.

-Nate

Old 03-17-2020, 08:33 PM

Okay...9 hours roughly translates into $1035.....and $500 for parts..Wow. Already put $2200 in this car so far and drove less than 5000 miles/6 months. Lets see how bad it keeps getting. One of the weird issues i have been getting is, it happens very interminently, not all the time. But the car will just kind of shake or shudder, like its going to stall or the engine is misfiring. But ive got it scanned, nothing of that sorts. You think this could be because of the tensioners? Happens more so when you have your foot on the brake and gear on D

Old 03-17-2020, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,138 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Yep, that car is 100% definitely not a real XFR, it is instead an XF Supercharged with added R badges front and rear.
Not a helluva lot of difference though, 495 PS vs 510 PS (although that is debatable), some missing badges and slightly lower spec.
Some say the XF Supercharged was the sweet spot, almost everything the XFR came with but a lot less cost!

Old 03-17-2020, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sanket Mishra
Hey TX!

So here is what the dealer had told me when i bought the car from him, he said that in the USA specced XF Supercharged, you could order it in both power outputs from the factory, i.e the 475 HP and the 510 HP, this one was a 510 HP which is same as the XFR. He said the only additional thing the XFR comes standard with is they dont ask for extra money if you get the Red interior. This had that as a paid option too. Do you think i was ripped? Just bought the car 6 months ago!
Pretty sure the dealer is lying to you. The US spec XF Supercharged came with the 470 PS and I'm almost certain that the car was not available with the 510 PS tune used for the XFR. The cars are identical drive train wise except for the tune (both have the e-diff and adaptive suspension. You could option the sports seats, big stereo and rear sun shade but the body kit and interior/exterior badges are XFR specific.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:28 PM

Oh! I did not know too much about Jaguar before getting into this car......shoot how much money do you think i lost? Can i cross check this with Jaguar if this specific car with this VIN did have the 510 PS tune? I should go back get some money if thats not the case....the window sticket states the car was billed out for 77k. Isnt that what the XFR retailed for?

Old 03-18-2020, 09:16 AM

IIRC the window sticker of my 2012 XF Supercharged showed a base price of $68,XXX. There were a few options like the sports heated/cooled seats, big stereo, etc. I think mine was approx $74K out the door. I think an XFR of this vintage was around $78K.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I'd agree it's a SC not an XFR. I've never heard or seen any tune options. No one would buy the XFR if you could tune the SC as it's the same car

On the plus side in reality they are basically the same car. The power difference is so tiny that I can imagine noticing. And all the mechanicals are the same.
On the negative, I glanced at KBB and it suggests a $5k difference between SC and XFR models (which surprised me - I would have assumed they are basically the same)

Whether you lost out depends on what you actually paid. But yes - I would go back and complain for sure.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:54 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

see what this tells you

Jaguarfourms VIN decoder

Old 03-22-2020, 02:13 AM

Guys I used the VIN DECODER, it does tell me it is XF supercharged...(which is okay) but it says 470 HP....however an information that i am positive the decoder did not get accurate is the MSRP that is 68k....while i have the window sticker that says 77k.

Besides this issue, guys are you sure that the nosie coming from the video is the timing chain? An independent mechanic is asking 4k for it and they said the supercharger will come off and they will service that anyway. Now the issue is i dont have the 4k right now because i lost my job cuz of the corona virus....i dont have any check engine light or stuff, just sometimes the engine shakes in a weird manner for second or so during idling....how long can i drive it? will a CEL come on at anytime? Suggestions please?

Old 03-22-2020, 08:17 AM

I did not have a CEL either. Just the noise. Pictures of the units I just removed from my car. The difference in chain tightness between old and new is significant, though I haven't gotten the car back together yet to confirm if the noise is gone.

Also attached is the Land Rover instructions for this repair. Removal of the supercharger is not necessary. I did remove the supercharger from my car, but I did this because I was told my noise was the isolator in the supercharger snout.

Notice the new unit is flat vs the worn original.

Original unit on the left, it should not have that indentation.

Attached Files
Old 03-22-2020, 08:30 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanket Mishra
Guys I used the VIN DECODER, it does tell me it is XF supercharged...(which is okay) but it says 470 HP....however an information that i am positive the decoder did not get accurate is the MSRP that is 68k....while i have the window sticker that says 77k.

Besides this issue, guys are you sure that the nosie coming from the video is the timing chain? An independent mechanic is asking 4k for it and they said the supercharger will come off and they will service that anyway. Now the issue is i dont have the 4k right now because i lost my job cuz of the corona virus....i dont have any check engine light or stuff, just sometimes the engine shakes in a weird manner for second or so during idling....how long can i drive it? will a CEL come on at anytime? Suggestions please?
sorry about your job.

If you run it until you get a CEL you risk about 2k more in damage. It's up to you of course. If you need to drive as little as possible

Old 03-22-2020, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 472 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Thonnawan

Original unit on the left, it should not have that indentation.
Looks like yours was indented about as much as mine, I measured a good 1.8mm with a micrometer when I rebuilt my engine and the difference in chain tension was also significant. I had burrs worn into the aluminum block at the front where the chains had rattled around so much.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Sanket - sorry to hear that. If you paid for an XFR and got a SC I suspect you have overpaid quite a lot. Can you go back to the dealer you bought it from (how recent?) and complain loudly?? Maybe they didn't know either but it's not the car you thought you bought

On the noise, many have had that rattle noise for very extended periods with no issue. But it is taking a risk. I would be more concerned with the juddering which suggests something isn't running right and serious damage may be more imminent. Unfortunately replacement engines are so expensive that if it fails catastrophically the car is worthless

So I'd have a reputable shop take a proper look at both the noise and the juddering (maybe related). Perhaps the dealer that sold it to you falsely will do the work to offset the overpayment?

Quick Reply: Need help 2012 jaguar xfr noise!