XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

which oil

Old 05-30-2013, 03:05 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi All,

I have been directed to this thread by hlgeorge.

In answer to the original question we would recommend synthetic oil. For all other other specifications and requirements please see below:

V6 Petrol Engine
SAE 5W-30 engine oil meeting Jaguar specification
WSS M2C913-C is preferred. Oil meeting ACEA A1/B1 or
ACEA A3/B3 specification may be used.

V8 Petrol Engine
SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting Jaguar specification
WSS M2C925-A only.

Diesel Engine
WSS M2C934-B only.

Many Thanks

The following 3 users liked this post by CRC@Jaguar:
hlgeorge (05-30-2013), jagular (05-30-2013), plums (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Jaguar
Hi All,

I have been directed to this thread by hlgeorge.

In answer to the original question we would recommend synthetic oil. For all other other specifications and requirements please see below:

V6 Petrol Engine
WSS M2C913-C is preferred. Oil meeting ACEA A1/B1 or
ACEA A3/B3 specification may be used.

V8 Petrol Engine
SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting Jaguar specification
WSS M2C925-A only.

Diesel Engine
WSS M2C934-B only.

Many Thanks
So Mike, you are stating that it is Jaguar's official (and therefore legal) position that if I use a SAE spec 5W 20 synthetic oil in my 2009 XF-SC that is not WSS M2C934-B "only" that my engine warranty is null and void? With all due respect, you may want to check with your legal department before answering this.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

If you use incorrect oil in your vehicle and a warrantable item goes that has been caused as a direct result of incorrect oil being used then that part of your warranty becomes void.

Please refer to your handbook for full warranty information along with the oil specification.

Many Thanks

Originally Posted by VapourTrail
So Mike, you are stating that it is Jaguar's official (and therefore legal) position that if I use a SAE spec 5W 20 synthetic oil in my 2009 XF-SC that is not WSS M2C934-B "only" that my engine warranty is null and void? With all due respect, you may want to check with your legal department before answering this.

The following users liked this post:
plums (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

First, read the post again. The WSS M2C934-B appears under the heading Diesel Engine. Therefore, you would be referring to the wrong part of the post, or attempting to get Mike to make a misstep in his answer. Unless of course you actually have a diesel engine.

Since Mike has previously posted that he is a representative from Jaguar Customer Service, it is more than likely that the information is copied and pasted from an official Jaguar document.

You have tried to buttress your claim despite good information to the contrary. Now, there is a response from a Jaguar representative and you are still clinging to your position.

If you want a legally binding response from Jaguar, then the proper thing to do is to contact Jaguar Customer Service directly. Trying to get a judge to accept a posting on a public forum as legally binding would not be easy. In any event, you will probably be referred to the exact same wording.

edit:

In the interim, Mike has responded with his advice to consult your handbook. That should end the matter.

Last edited by plums; 05-30-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Norri (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

As far as I can see the US legislation simply requires the manufacturer to prove the failed component did so because the specified oil was not used. Therefore a failed wheel bearing could not be blamed on use of the wrong engine oil. However, if Jaguar requires you to use oil meeting a certain defined specification ( in this case a Ford Motor Company specification) and you do not AND Jaguar can show the failure was caused by or contributed to by this use of incorrect oil then indeed your warranty is void with respect to that failure. The wheel bearing still gets fixed for free though.

This is not the case outside the US where the usual rules of proof apply, if warranty coverage is denied outside the US market then the customer must prove breach of warranty.

Thankfully, it has been my experience with reputable manufacturers, including Jaguar, that such technical positions are rarely adopted. However, to maximize the voluntary factory goodwill factor it is wise to ensure that ALL service during warranty period is performed by a dealer or approved independent where dealership service is not available AND that ONLY OEM factory supplied or approved parts are used. This makes it easy for Jaguar to be confident the warranty failure is covered without an expensive investigation and risk of a poor customer relations outcome.

Using only the warranty specified service is a small price to pay for a good relationship with Jaguar should any warranty issue arise. Once the warranty expires you can do what you wish. However, it has been known for Jaguar, among others, to informally extend some after warranty repairs as long as the car had been completely dealer serviced for your entire ownership. This is entirely voluntary on the part of any manufacturer and prompted by development and maintenance of good customer relations as well as an acknowledgment that errors sometimes occur and customer feedback is vital for future improvement of Jaguar cars.

Last edited by jagular; 05-31-2013 at 12:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jagular:
Norri (05-30-2013), plums (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Very good response Jagular. I had asked Mike@Jaguar to respond, but I realize he is also under restraints from Jaguar as to how he can respond to this question. I am sure that the outcome of a warranty issue concerning oil usage would be on a case-by-case decision from Jaguar. I believe that this is the only real answer that can be stated without an individual case to look at.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

VapourTrail, as stated, your car is a 2009 XF-SC and therfore has the 4.2 litre engine not the 5.0 litre. The 5.0 5w20 oil specs listed above do not apply to your vehicle.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone on this thread know if I can use a full synthetic oil, like Mobil 1, that does not meet the "Ford WSS-M2C925A" standard? I am not concerned about the warranty (out of coverage), but I am concerned about the health of my engine? Is there something special about the Castrol Professional OE that my 3L V6 SC MUST have? Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Please stop resurrecting old threads about oil.

The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
Mikey (11-02-2017), Swimref (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 12:41 PM

I'm new here. Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Any chance we could consolidate all these oil threads into one single active thread? Maybe a mod could close the other ones so only one is active?
It’s a good discussion but really hard to follow across 7 different threads and there are a lot of contradictory posts in the threads.

I know we have a couple of Jag authorized mechanics on here. I’d like to hear their take on what the official Jag guidance is - and what dealers do in practice if different

davetibbs (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Er, 7... including the one(s) in the XJ forum(s)?

Looks a tough job to try to consolidate so many all from one new user

Old 11-03-2017, 07:54 PM

JagV8,

Look again. I created only 2 threads asking which oil to use. Admittedly, I should have combined the questions into just one thread. Give a guy a break though.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member

You revived a lot more than 2.

To get more info, join TOPIx and read.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:11 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Use whatever brand oil you want. The Ford rating is BS anyway. No oil companies rate their oil by that anyway.

dpresent (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 01:10 PM

Thanks, Akwarr. With everything that I have learned on this forum, I agree with you completely. It seems that many people have used oil brands that don’t specifically meet the Ford 925A spec with no problems.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
To get more info, join TOPIx and read.
I must have missed the part on TOPIx where JLR admits that they recommend unnecessary engine oil simply to increase the dealership’s sales and labor profits...

Old 11-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

I don't recall making that claim - point me to it please.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:49 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Why Does Michael's Jaguar Require Oil From Ford?

Dear Car Talk:

My reason for writing is that all these alphanumeric algorithmic specifications on oil these days are confusing me. I have a 2009 Jaguar XF with a 4.2-liter engine. I've owned many older Jags, but this is the first one that states I need WSS M2C913-B, which I learned is a Ford part number. But I can't find it anywhere. What oil would be safe to use in this car now?

-- Michael

Well, you've fallen into an unusual automotive black hole, Michael.

Ford owned Jaguar until 2008. Then the great recession hit, and Ford sold everything it could spare except old pairs of Henry Ford's boxer shorts. So the 2009 Jaguars were basically designed by Ford but sold by Jaguar (which was, by then, owned by the Indian conglomerate Tata).

So if you ask Jaguar for part number WSS M2C913-B, they'll tell you to go ask Ford. And if you ask Ford, they'll tell you that the 2009 Jaguar is not their problem, go ask Jaguar.

But not to worry, Michael. WSS M2C913-B is actually a Ford of Europe part number, which is why you can't find it at your local Ford dealership.

The best I can tell, it's basically a fully synthetic 5W-30* oil. And since oil specifications tend to improve over time, I think you're completely safe using any of the brand-name synthetic oils available here in the States. So a 5W-30* version of Castrol Edge or Mobil 1, to cite two examples, should be entirely safe for your Jaguar.

And it should be cheaper than flying to England once a year and coming back with a case of WSS M2C913-B in the overhead bin.

Dear Car Talk | Dec 03, 2015

*That was the current spec then. It may have changed now.
The new ILSAC GF-6 and API SP specifications for passenger car motor oil launched in 2020,.

These new, higher performance oil categories have been developed in response to several driving forces. The most important factors include need to improve fuel economy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions as well as the increasing demands of modern engine technologies.

Last edited by mc690; 08-23-2022 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Time warp? If he didn't solve his oil spec 5 years ago...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: which oil