XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

A piece of string........

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default A piece of string........

As in, how long is it? Allow me to expand. I'm a fairly long time member over on the x300 forums and drive a 96 XJ6 4.0 litre Sovereign. I really like the car, but she's showing her age and I'm getting tired of paying the €2,000.00 annual road tax. I'm thinking of using it for the summer and when the tax comes due for renewal, possibly changing to an XF. It's the only car I've come across that would encourage me to make a change.

I'd be looking at anything between 2008 and 2012, with a leaning towards the 3.0 litre petrol. Having said that, I'm open to all possibilities.

So, back to the piece of string. What models are "better". Reliability, spec, etc.
What are the pitfalls, things to look out for as a prospective purchaser. What are your own experiences?

It's a wide open question but I'd like some sort of starting point. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

I felt the same way about my x308 as everything made out of rubber, plastic or vinyl is beginning to deteriorate; seals, gaskets, weatherstrip, trim, you name it, its either leaking, crumbling or crispy. I briefly considered seeking out a 2003 model with ultra low miles, but then it wouldn't be long before I'd be back in the same boat.

The X250 is of course closer in size to the X308 than the X351 successor and fit better in my garage. Trouble with the XF (and all newer sedans of any manufacturer) is that mechanical engineers today no longer install actual springs or put enough air in the tires. They think everything has to be a "sport" sedan.

I purchased the Spires Comfort suspension upgrade, but haven't yet installed it. Also planning to downsize the wheels from 19 to 18 and my research suggests that I should be able to fit a 50 profile tire but I'm going to wait to test fit until the suspension is installed in case it changes the geometry any. I'm hoping all that will tame these asphalted cattle trails they call streets here in Fort Worth.

Have to admit, I think Jaguar finally got the luxury sedan just perfect in 2003 and then sadly axed it. Unfortunately, they don't last forever and eventually its time to move on.

Don't know about the UK market, but I went for the 2012 because it was the first year of the "facelift" and yet the last year of the naturally aspirated V8. I think the v8 is on its way out and was afraid when it comes time to upgrade again, I might not have that choice anymore. It made it a longer wait till a low mileage example showed up, but I was in no hurry. I also sought out the "Portfolio" trim level just to get lumbar adjustment on the seats. Hard to believe that's not available on the standard model for such an expensive car. Heck, I've got a base Honda with lumbar adjustment. Just have to research what options you want and what trim level its available in. There's already other threads on common issues like water pump and dash pad issues. Good luck in the hunt.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:35 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I came from an X200 S-Type, and disliked the looks of the XF till 2012, because of the headlamps. I was thinking of an X351- XJL because of the luxury and comfort. But reality set in as I use my car in the city too much and finding parking is a hassle. So when, too many major issues started to creep up, I decided to let it go for cheap and ponied up for an X250 as it was smaller. I had always loved the power of the XF's and didn't think I would be giving up much for an XJL, however it was over 10-15K less. I do think about my choice a bit, though the XF is more nimble and sportier. I went with the XF Portfolio because of the luxury heated and air conditioned seats and because there was a lack of XFR or XF 5.0 Supercharged on the market. I don't think I will miss the extra 100 HP's, though it would have been fun to have it. The sound system is lacking in the base system and I am in the process of upgrading to make it have much more bass and presence. I drove a 3.0 Supercharged a while back, I was impressed about the power and feeling as I thought it may be like a Japanese engine. However, I have always loved a V8 engine with it's low end torque and smoothness, so I went with the 5.0 naturally aspirated engine as no 5.0 supercharged were available close by. Gas mileage is a bit better than my old X200 and if I drive it with the paddle shifters it can get even better, but I do like acceleration too much to really care. So far not too many issues have cropped up, except this past week, I found out that someone had hit my rear wheel well with their bumper and gave it a nice scrape. Can't stand it when people can't drive or respect other's property!
By the way, quality of the build, I think is definitely better than my 2002 S-type, so I don't anticipate being in my mechanic's place as often. He is missing me. ;-)