XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

possible to get more supercharger sound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts
Default possible to get more supercharger sound?

any kind of quick/easy mods I can do to get more supercharger sound in the cabin?

Old 07-07-2017, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Yep, take the engine cover off!
Two minutes tops and it's free!

The following users liked this post:
carzaddict (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 08:53 AM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

As OzXFR said, simple to remove the engine cover, mine came off the day after I bought it and I have never put it back on. Also helps engine heat to dissipate out the hood louvers.

You can also install an aftermarket air intake tube setup like Mina Galleries have. (I made my own)

Or you can do the very controversial "remove the bottom air box" mod. This requires making a set of brackets that not only hold the air filter elements into the top box but also supports the piping from laying on the inner finder liners. This will result in a lot of supercharger whine but also could result in higher intake temps, especially on hot days.

I have removed the lower boxes and honestly can't tell any difference in performance but the supercharger is VERY noticeable now. I will link my "build" thread.

With that said, it is getting hot in Iowa and I have new filters on order and once they come in, I will be reinstalling the lower boxes for the next couple months (during peak heat times).

I do not recommend drilling holes in the lower boxes as you can't go back to stock without buying new boxes (pricey).

Old 07-07-2017, 08:58 AM

Near the bottom I have added a few posts and an in-car vid.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

But again, be ready for some on here to flame you for doing this.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estion-168086/

davetibbs (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

No flaming from here - it's true that the engine bay does suffer a lot of heat soak, but there's absolutely no doubt that the intake system to this engine can be improved, and while my engine's out and the front is quite disassembled I want to do the same sort of thing.

Eventuri claim to have dyno-proven 30+bhp gains on their V8 F Type intake, for example.

I'm thinking it might be possible to split the air intakes on each side of the bumper to divert 30% up to the airbox, but it's proving tough without cutting metal I'm not willing to cut.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:16 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I've removed engine cover and have installed the mina gallery intake.. i still have no noticeable s/c whine... could be differences between s/c model (lower boost) and R model (higher boost)??
if i rev it in neutral i can hear a brief whine as it revs up to 4k, but only if i stab the gas hard.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Adam J
I've removed engine cover and have installed the mina gallery intake.. i still have no noticeable s/c whine... could be differences between s/c model (lower boost) and R model (higher boost)??
if i rev it in neutral i can hear a brief whine as it revs up to 4k, but only if i stab the gas hard.
Same here with my old XFR, removed the engine cover and fitted the TCP intake and noticed only a small increase in SC noise, and even then only pottering around at low speed/revs, anything more and it was completely drowned out by the exhaust and/or the symposer noise.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:54 PM

found this article that claims our engine's s/c was actually designed to be near silent (toward end of article):

New Jaguar V8 revealed in Detroit - SAE International

New Jaguar V8 revealed in Detroit
23-Jan-2009 01:14 EST

Jaguar unveiled its all-new direct-injection 5.0-L V8 gasoline engine in supercharged and naturally aspirated forms at the 2009 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Designed in-house by Jaguar, the new AJ-V8 Gen III replaces the 4.2-L AJ-V8 to power the XF, XK, and next-generation XJ.

Malcolm Sandford, Jaguar’s Chief Engineer-Engines, said the only carryover components from the previous V8 are the exhaust tappets and cylinder-head bolts. "Everything else is new, with much of the design driven by the need to repackage. To achieve the efficiency required, we have bundled together several advanced technologies—and we are very pleased with the result."

The announcement of the new V8 came only days after Jaguar revealed its equally new AJ-V6D diesel, described in the January print edition of AEI. There are physical similarities in the appearance of both engines, said Sandford, demonstrating the synergy achieved in Jaguar’s core design philosophy for its new generation engines.

The gasoline engine comes with two output levels: 375 kW (503 hp) with 625 N·m (461 lb·ft) for the supercharged version, which is standard in the new XFR and XKR models; and 283 kW (380 hp) with 515 N·m (380 lb·ft) for the naturally aspirated version. The new engine is 64 mm (2.5 in) shorter in supercharged form and 11 mm (0.4 in) lower in normally aspirated form. To achieve this, every component was analyzed to reach the most efficient, practical package solution and also to meet the requirements of Design Director Ian Callum and his team, for cars with low, rounded noses. The two versions of the engine have 85% commonality.

Sandford emphasized the development focus that had been placed on achieving a very smooth and consistent power delivery. And while many aspects of the new V8 are significant, there are some elements that are particularly so, notably the Eaton supercharger design, and its optimization, and the spray-guided direct-injection system.

The supercharger is a Roots-type Twin Vortex Series, which, with an increased number of vanes (four instead of three) and with higher helix angle, is some 20% more efficient than that used on the outgoing 4.2-L engine, said Sandford. The air intake has been redesigned, giving a more direct airflow path and reducing flow losses by some 30%. Overall, the new supercharger application uses less energy to produce 375 kW on the 5.0-L V8 than the previous engine used to produce 228 kW (306 hp).

The direct fuel-injection system uses centrally mounted Bosch six-hole injectors; Jaguar believes it to be an industry first in that configuration. Fuel-injection pressure is 150 bar (2.2 ksi). Enhanced droplet control and vaporization create a homogeneous mixture to improve combustion, and charge cooling improves volumetric efficiency and knock limits. Cold-start fueling is reduced by up to 80%. A coil-on-plug system is used. The supercharged engine’s compression ratio is 9.5:1 vs. the naturally aspirated’s 11.5:1, which demonstrates convergence with Jaguar’s new V6 diesel engine, which has a compression ratio of 16:1 for both its power levels.

Initial design work for the new engine started in 2002. It was decided that a new aluminum high-pressure die-cast block would be essential. Deep skirted, cross-bolted, and with an integrated front chain case—all of which provide added stiffness—it is 2 kg (4.4 lb) lighter than the previous V8 block.

The cylinder-head casting uses recycled, non-heat-treated aluminum alloy. Each head incorporates two overhead camshafts with four valves per cylinder positioned slightly asymmetrically around the cylinder bore. The inlet cam is at a different height to the exhaust to find an additional 21 mm (0.8 in) needed to package the camshaft-profile-switching technology employed on the normally aspirated variant to boost low-speed torque and improve fuel efficiency.

"We strived to save every fraction of a degree to reduce angles and minimize engine width," said Sandford. The graded, direct-acting exhaust tappets facilitate adjustment of valve clearances. Although bore and stroke are larger than the outgoing V8, the engine is slightly undersquare.

Radiated sound from the cylinder block is reduced by some 4 dB compared to the previous engine, which means more than halved engine noise—a significant achievement in a premium luxury car such as a Jaguar.

A variable orifice oil separator and twin positive crankcase ventilation valves are integrated into the cam cover. This reduces oil pull-over by some 50%, a critical factor in the elimination of intake valve deposits in direct-injection engines, which, unlike conventional port-injected engines, do not have the cleansing effect of fuel sprayed onto the valves.

A reverse flow cooling system is fitted, explained Sandford: "By passing chilled coolant directly into the cylinder heads, we achieve improved knock sensitivity and better control of temperatures." The reverse flow and a large V-mounted heat exchanger also help achieve fast warm-up for oil (by about 30%) and the cabin heater (about 60%).

Lightweight cast pistons are used by both versions of the engine and have a low-friction solid-film lubricant on their skirts. The central injection configuration has helped achieve a flat piston and supports good thermal efficiency. Main bearing and cranktrain friction levels are low, the latter ahead of Jaguar’s main competitors, said Sandford. He added that every aspect of the engine’s design had been benchmarked and the design team’s philosophy throughout had been "pay attention to detail."

That included relatively low-tech subsystems such as the oil pump. A newly designed and patented pressure relief valve was developed with oil pressure controlled via a combination of oil gallery and pump outlet pressure. Energy saving is achieved thanks to reduced pump friction losses during warm-up and steady-state conditions, and it provides improved oil pressure control during start-up.

The new V8 has "fully independent, long-range" cam-torque-actuated variable-cam timing of both inlet and exhaust valves, giving enhanced exhaust gas recirculation for improved part-load efficiency. Sandford stated that the new engine is the first application of a new technology inlet and exhaust variable camshaft timing system supplied by BorgWarner. It is activated by torque generated by the valvetrain moving the phaser, not the oil pressure, and brings high response rates of better than 250 degrees/s, with enhanced performance feel and emissions control.

Service intervals have been upped to 24,000 km (15,000 mi) and an electronic dipstick replaces the conventional type.

Jaguar has paid particular attention to sound quality of the new gasoline engines with a semi-active valve exhaust muffler and an intake feedback tube. Sound engineers have worked to eliminate supercharger whine, although opinions are split about its appropriateness in a luxury sporting sedan. But Sandford has firm views: "I do not like supercharger whine. It is an inelegant result of poor machinery not doing what it should—so we have taken it out."

Not all may agree with his views, but it is one of the influential pluses of having the job title Chief Engineer-Engines.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member

well thats no fun!

the logic makes sense for the luxury versions of these cars, but not the R models!

Old 07-10-2017, 06:13 PM

I have made a few YouTube videos to show you guys what my car sounds like.

It is a 2013 US spec 470hp 5.0 supercharged

It has:

Custom made 3" hard piping intake system (made by me).

Exhaust has had the factory mid section removed and an X-pipe installed and the factory rear cans have the passive valves removed.

Engine cover removed.

Lower air filter boxes removed and handmade filter bracket with head shields.

The rest of the car is stock.

This vid is an simple in-garage rev, both inside the car and outside.

This vid is a high speed pull. Windows closed.

This vid is a low speed pull. Windows closed.

The low speed and high speed pulls were not at 100% throttle (approximately 90%), nor in Sport mode.

Last edited by 10 XF Premium; 07-10-2017 at 06:17 PM.
carzaddict (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member

yes! your car sounds awesome!

Old 07-11-2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
I have made a few YouTube videos to show you guys what my car sounds like.

It is a 2013 US spec 470hp 5.0 supercharged

It has:

Custom made 3" hard piping intake system (made by me).

Exhaust has had the factory mid section removed and an X-pipe installed and the factory rear cans have the passive valves removed.

Engine cover removed.

Lower air filter boxes removed and handmade filter bracket with head shields.

The rest of the car is stock.

This vid is an simple in-garage rev, both inside the car and outside.

https://youtu.be/RxjPDliFSEI

This vid is a high speed pull. Windows closed.

https://youtu.be/aDoIEisl6DI

This vid is a low speed pull. Windows closed.

https://youtu.be/BIiynfYccfQ

The low speed and high speed pulls were not at 100% throttle (approximately 90%), nor in Sport mode.
what!! that is the sound we need!! is it the 2013 design refresh that modifies something or is a different "sound imposer" that plays this whine through the speakers? or..? we have same engine... but not same s/c sound.. i can't imagine 2013 has less insulation.. what are the differences - doesn't the 2013 have bosch engine controller and 8 speed auto vs older cars with denso and 6 speed?

Old 07-11-2017, 10:07 PM

You would need to make some air filter brackets like these.

Notice I have used an aluminum heat shield that not only helps reduce direct heat radiation but also holds the stock fresh air tubes to help with colder air while moving. (The pic only shows the right side, but the left is also there once installed in the car.)

Attached Thumbnails possible to get more supercharger sound?-img_3264.jpg  

Last edited by 10 XF Premium; 07-11-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
You would need to make some air filter brackets like these.

Notice I have used an aluminum heat shield that not only helps reduce direct heat radiation but also holds the stock fresh air tubes to help with colder air while moving. (The pic only shows the right side, but the left is also there once installed in the car.)
so are the filters open element now with those brackets? and are you attributing most of the increased s/c sound to that approach? any hiccups with ECU/MAF in doing this with what appears to be K&N filters? last question - can the brackets be purchased from your fabricator or did you make yourself / this is a custom production of one?

Old 07-12-2017, 10:07 AM

Yes, the filters are now open to the engine bay. 95% of the SC whine is due to that.

I have been running this setup since mid-last year. Both with the OEM filters and the K&N (installed 1 month ago) and have never had any codes or drivability issues. I do have a full scanner that does all engine/transmission/ABS/Airbag systems and have never seen any issues or codes, either visual or stored.

I made them myself from flat aluminum sheet (for the heat shield), 3/4 inch aluminum "L" stock (3 feet long strips), 1 inch aluminum stock for the hold down bracket, and a handful of 4-40 x 3/8" hardware and locking washers.

Took me about 2 hours and I just hand formed it using my bench vise and simple hand tools. (I have had years of practice making custom piping and heat shields by hand during my "Asian tuning" years, lol)

Old 07-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

I've modified and opened up the intake systems of a few cars in the past, and most times it resulted in a dramatic increase in "induction roar". All were NA engines.
Are you sure the increased noise is not just induction roar as opposed to SC whine?
Coz I struggle to understand how opening up the air intake boxes increases SC whine.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:04 PM

With 30+ years of everything from flipping 4 barrel carb air cleaner lids to modifying stock 200hp turbo 4cyl motors to well over 500hp, it is SC whine.

I did basically the same thing with my 2010 XF Premium 5.0 and that was surely induction howl.

I have never ran the open "cans" with the stock plastic piping, so I cannot say how much is added with the 3" hard aluminum piping.

It truly is car **** music.