XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Possible Jaguar Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 06:11 PM
DBV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Jaguar Purchase

Hello - I am looking at purchasing a 2009 Jaguar XF Premium Luxory with about 12,000 miles on it. It is also certified.

I was concerned about snow driving, but after reading this forum and watching the Jaguar video, it looks like the Jag performs well with snow tires on it and that should be a non issue.

My only other concern is the reliability. How reliable is this car? I drive a lot and to a lot of remote places, where service would be hard to find. I have read some bad stories on reliability, but that is true with any model and is often over blown.

I love the car, as it is different than most on the road. The dealer is asking $42,500, which I assume seems like a good price since it is certified with low miles.

Thanks for the help,

Greg

Old 10-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

No worries with winter driving if you fit snow tires. If you use only all season tires then the handling and stability will still be fine but traction will be poor as for any car on all season tires. The "winter" setting for the transmission works great, the rear axle has one of those electronic limited slip functions using the ABS to limit slip on a wheel with low traction. Unlike a mechanical lsd this works on both rear wheels. Also, this function is not switched off when you select OFF for the automatic skid control system. Also, Jaguar has an intermediate TRACS setting for the skid control that allows a little wheelspin for deep snow use.

Reliability has been excellent for the XF so far. Frankly, it should be a much better bet than BMW or Mercedes, both of which are inferior to Jaguar in this respect.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default The truth about the XF's reliability

Unfortunately Jagular is delusional and has some serious reading difficulties. If you follow Mike Karesh's thread you will come to some statistically valid data about the XF's reliability.

You should note that JD Power have not done a reliability study on the XF as the car has not been on the market long enough.

Follow Mike's thread for the facts:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5246

Old 10-05-2010, 02:32 PM
DBV

Thanks - I did see that and decided not to pursue the Jaguar. Reliability is huge to me, since I travel so much. Too bad, because I like the car.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Too bad. Like many North Americans you will end up driving a deadly dull car safe in the illusion that it is "reliable".

J D Power has rated Jaguar highly. The XF is made in the same factory as other Jaguars from the same parts and by the same people. It will prove to be as reliable as the other modern Jaguars.

Le Chef just cannot abide contradiction.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Guys, sorry but you keep continuing flaming each others post so why not use Ignore function instead

Old 10-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

"Cannot abide contradiction" is hardly "flaming".

Referring to someone as "delusional" definitely is.

I write for a living. I am very careful what I write and do not indulge in personal attacks.

Well, OK the reference to "ignoramus" on another thread could be a personal attack but only if someone voluntarily chose to read in an identity for said ignoramus.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Default XF

I have had mine for almost a year from new.

It's everything it should be, drives very well, great speed, great breaks.
Im so pleased with it i'm thinking of getting one for my wife.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

jagular, I like your informative replies just like you did in Auto Door Locks Thread .

Name calling, harassing, flaming, insulting is strictly forbidden and repetitive actions will cause suspension aside from infraction .
Back to the topic ,

We recently bought another American ( Chevrolet) and I must say brakes are perfect and brake pedal feeling is more sophisticated than my XJ40

Old 10-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

GM has imported a lot of engineering expertise from Europe. If you bought a Malibu or an Impala you are getting quite a bit of European engineering for your money. the new Insignia will likely be sold in North America as if it were American but it is German and British with some Swedish thrown in.

Cadillac has borrowed big time from GM Europe in its bid to remake the marque.