XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Power window auto-up issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:35 PM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Power window auto-up issues

I have a aggravating issue with my passenger side front window. When I attempt to run the window up, it goes up a little bit then opens back up.

It is completely random, does not matter what window switch is used, does not matter if the window is all the way down or only partly down, and it does not stop and reverse in the same spot on the track up.

Sometime it happens right off the bottom, sometimes in the middle, and sometimes almost all the way closed.

The only way to close it is holding the switch to close it and that usually takes three or four attempts to get it to fully close.

The window does go up and down smoothly and does not have "dragging" spots.

I have reprogramed the switch limits and it does not help.

The dealer has recently replaced the battery as well performed other work that required the battery to be disconnected so they are also resetting the window limits.

Anybody have anything to try?

Old 07-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I had exactly the same issue on the passenger window of my 2010 XF SC. The dealer "reprogramed it" (not sure what that means) and reset the limits (which I had already tried) and it now works perfectly. My guess is that the dealer should be able to sort it out easily for you.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This what I found via a quick search... Let me know if it helps.

So your automatic feature doesn't work on your Jaguar anymore? It's ok, nothing's broken. This usually happens because somebody disconnected the battery and the settings for the windows were lost. In other words, the car needs to re-learn where the limits for the windows are. This is very simple to do.

Your switch has 5 positions. We'll call them:
"-2" which is the switch all the way down for automatic down
"-1" which is the switch slightly down for bringing the window down manually
"0" which is the switch just sitting on its normal position
"1" which is the switch slightly up for bringing the window up manually
"2" which is the switch all the way up for automatic up
The reset procedure is very simple:
Shut the radio off and other source of noises, you are going to be looking for a little "click"
Hold the switch of the window you wish to re-teach the limits in position "-1". Even after the window is all the way down, keep holding it and listen for a little click. When you hear it go to the next step.
Hold the switch on position "1". Again, even after the window is all the way up keep holding it and listen for a "click".
That is it! Simple enough huh?! Repeat for all windows and you are all set!

The following 2 users liked this post by joey4420:
Negan (04-19-2017), VibezThomas (11-17-2022)
Old 07-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Also, the limit switch is inside the lift motor. There have been reports that these sometimes fail and a new motor is needed. Jaguar is understandably reluctant to admit that this fault exists especially since most times it is just a programming issue as described.

If you are unable to teach the window its limits after a few attempts then I would say the lift motor switch itself is faulty and a new one should be fitted under warranty.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

I have attempted to relearn many times.

It is impossible to complete the learn process because the window does not continue to go up all the way before it goes back down, even while holding the switch fully down.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the front driver motor go out on my car. Replaced it with the rear driver side motor, then ordered a replacement rear motor. They have different part numbers and the front motors normally are more expensive however they are the EXACT same. And getting a used motor from salvage figured a rear motor would have less wear and tear on it than a front motor anyway.