XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Supercharger isolator coupler

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Supercharger isolator coupler

Occasionally i will get the supercharger rattle on moderate to heavy acceleration, 2010 XF Supercharged. I believe the worn isolator coupler may be the culprit. It looks like the supercharger has to be completely removed to replace the coupler, not something I am comfortable doing myself. What might a dealer or independent shop charge to replace it ? Thank you.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged81
Occasionally i will get the supercharger rattle on moderate to heavy acceleration, 2010 XF Supercharged. I believe the worn isolator coupler may be the culprit. It looks like the supercharger has to be completely removed to replace the coupler, not something I am comfortable doing myself. What might a dealer or independent shop charge to replace it ? Thank you.
i'd guess $2,000 to $3,000 especially once necessary parts AND optional parts are sourced. there is a list of gaskets / seals / o rings to the tune of $150, as well as various plastic parts that should also be done to the tune of another $200 most likely. i think the isolator couple rattle is more under light load or when turning off the car than when under moderate to heavy load.. some folks remove S/C belt to confirm the noise is indeed the s/c. When i did mine, i had the hood up for over a month and took my time while doing the research and such. i found a guy in PA that specializes in S/C rebuilds (found him on ebay actually), shipped him the entire assembly and then he engage in a S/C rebuild for me. i started off with wanting him to add a performance pulley and to rebuild the snout / coupler, which included the nose bearings. He was also to change the S/C oil. He contacted me and said the end play in the S/C was about 3x factory spec. he advised that it could have left the factory as such or it could be wearing over time. Anyway, he put a new rotor pack in it plus all the aforementioned stuff for about $1,000 all in. Many write ups on this forum about coolant lines / hoses / pipes and especially for the S/C cars. When the S/C is out, it's really time to do the things under and behind it because you never want to have it done again. Again, 2k to 3k for all the parts to do it right plus the research they'll have to do and shop labor rates will add up pretty quickly. if you do absolute bare minimum, it's still a chore or a job and will be $1,500 with a buddy doing it i bet. that's my guesstimate for you. I'll do it for 10k if you bring me the car!!!

Old 10-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

for what it's worth,
The Jaguar dealers in Atlanta charge ~1,300 for a new S/C coupler service. If you have some discounts or can work it in with some other services at same time you should be able to get better. We only have a couple indy's in Atlanta who focus on Jaguar, but one quoted me 900 for same service last year. I was able to get Jaguar to do it and cover most of the charge since I had already had it replaced once before.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

that seems pretty high for the service,
the coupler and even an upgrade to it, are pretty common and not that expensive.
I think an independent shop that has worked on supercharges before could do it.
I think one of the vendors here even had a service for it. if not I think I know some people in the chicago area that could do it if you shipped the supercharger to them

Old 10-11-2018, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam J
i'd guess $2,000 to $3,000 especially once necessary parts AND optional parts are sourced. there is a list of gaskets / seals / o rings to the tune of $150, as well as various plastic parts that should also be done to the tune of another $200 most likely. i think the isolator couple rattle is more under light load or when turning off the car than when under moderate to heavy load.. some folks remove S/C belt to confirm the noise is indeed the s/c. When i did mine, i had the hood up for over a month and took my time while doing the research and such. i found a guy in PA that specializes in S/C rebuilds (found him on ebay actually), shipped him the entire assembly and then he engage in a S/C rebuild for me. i started off with wanting him to add a performance pulley and to rebuild the snout / coupler, which included the nose bearings. He was also to change the S/C oil. He contacted me and said the end play in the S/C was about 3x factory spec. he advised that it could have left the factory as such or it could be wearing over time. Anyway, he put a new rotor pack in it plus all the aforementioned stuff for about $1,000 all in. Many write ups on this forum about coolant lines / hoses / pipes and especially for the S/C cars. When the S/C is out, it's really time to do the things under and behind it because you never want to have it done again. Again, 2k to 3k for all the parts to do it right plus the research they'll have to do and shop labor rates will add up pretty quickly. if you do absolute bare minimum, it's still a chore or a job and will be $1,500 with a buddy doing it i bet. that's my guesstimate for you. I'll do it for 10k if you bring me the car!!!
I agree with Adam j's estimate, the pulley and tune alone will run about a grand, and removing the SC is a pretty labor intensive job, and while the SC is off parts like the plastic coolant cross over, valley coolant hose, and the rear map sensor can be accessed and replaced.
When I did my SC service-https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/xfr-water-pump-change-189069/page2/

Old 10-11-2018, 06:10 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
I agree with Adam j's estimate, the pulley and tune alone will run about a grand, and removing the SC is a pretty labor intensive job, and while the SC is off parts like the plastic coolant cross over, valley coolant hose, and the rear map sensor can be accessed and replaced.
When I did my SC service-https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/xfr-water-pump-change-189069/page2/
Thanks for the information. If my Grandfather was still with us, he and I could do it ourselves. I don't possess his level of skill, and the supercharger removal looks difficult. I will look to my independent for assistance.