XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Programming Garage Door Opener

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Thank you, Rome, I'll have to try this tomorrow. I have three Genie garage door openers(all three have each door programmed in a button). Hopefully with your sequence I can get it to work.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bellanca_XF
Thank you, Rome, I'll have to try this tomorrow. I have three Genie garage door openers(all three have each door programmed in a button). Hopefully with your sequence I can get it to work.
If that doesn't work. Take a look at the video. It's very detailed.

I had the same genie opener.
Key point, you have to try the learn remote method (which won't work) then do the rolling code.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2014, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Holeecow
If that doesn't work. Take a look at the video. It's very detailed.

I had the same genie opener.
Key point, you have to try the learn remote method (which won't work) then do the rolling code.

Good luck!
I'll have to look at the video as that method didn't work and I think pressing the outer two buttons erases any stored remotes as I had my parents' programmed in there but it didn't work the other day. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Bellanca_XF; 11-04-2014 at 05:23 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

For those that have installed garage door opener within the past few years from Chamberlain, Craftsman, or LiftMaster take a look at the opener. If the antenna wire hanging down the side is yellow then it is a newer style opener (built after 2011) and you'll need to buy a repeater as others have noted.

It is BS that the manufacturers didn't build backwards capability into the new openers. It's only $25 so it seems odd it wasn't built in. The repeater will take up an extra garage outlet and it won't be on the battery backup which is built into the opener.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

As stated above the repeater is needed for new openers but a word of caution…..plug the repeater into a different 110v outlet and not the same one you use for the opener itself.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckh007
As stated above the repeater is needed for new openers but a word of caution…..plug the repeater into a different 110v outlet and not the same one you use for the opener itself.
What's the reason for your comment that you can't plug the repeater into the same 110V outlet as the opener itself? I have my repeater plugged into the same socket (the instructions said to put it as close to the opener as possible) and I've not had any issues. So I'm curious to know what the risk could be. thanks!

Old 11-05-2014, 01:22 AM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

My first response would be that I don't have a clue ! However, when questioning the HomeLink people, they told me to move the repeater to another location since I was not having reliable results. But keep in mind that every house is not wired the same…..I have two main breaker panels…one outside and one in the garage. Go figure !

The following users liked this post:
BritCars (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 04:29 PM

Success at last, my Genie manual had me doing the wrong sequence. But over a year after having my car I can finally use the Homelink. Better late than never.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckh007
My first response would be that I don't have a clue ! However, when questioning the HomeLink people, they told me to move the repeater to another location since I was not having reliable results. But keep in mind that every house is not wired the same…..I have two main breaker panels…one outside and one in the garage. Go figure !
Interesting - thanks. Sounds like it might be a concern about interference issues. I might try moving the repeater and see what happens. I recently changed door openers and although it now works ok with the repeater it's not great (I sometimes have to sit with my finger on the button for 4-5 seconds before it registers). I'll see if moving it makes a difference...

Old 11-30-2014, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use Learn Mode on door opener

Someone else noted you should use the "Learn Mode" on the door opener itself (the machine attached to the ceiling). This was the best forum post, as I had the same problem trying to program the homelink door remote on the review mirror from the instructions in the manual.

Basically, I pressed the learn button (clearly marked on the device), then jumped in the car, turned it on, and followed the instructions from the manual. It worked fine after that.

Thanks to whoever posted that!

Old 12-03-2014, 12:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all! What worked for me and my new F-type and 10-year old Genie opener combo was first programming the HomeLink button using the existing remote, then teaching the opener by pushing 'Learn' and the button 3 times for 1 second each time. THANKS AGAIN! Such a simple and standard feature that was so annoying to get it to work!

Old 02-14-2015, 12:44 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

"If your garage door opener's "Learn" button is purple, Homelink suggests this procedure. Procedures listed in the Owner's Manual and on this forum did not work for me, so I called Homelink and their instruction worked perfectly. Here are the details.
For this process you will need to use your existing garage door opener remote AND THEN the “Learn” button on the opener itself. Make sure that you have access to that button before you start programming. You may need a ladder to reach that button. On some models the “Learn” button is hidden behind the cover, so open it prior to starting.
1. Your vehicle must be parked outside of your garage! I tried it inside 20 times and it didn’t work.
2. Press and hold outside Homelink buttons (1 and 3) on the rearview mirror for 20 seconds or until the light starts flashing rapidly. Then release both buttons.
3. Press and hold the button you want to program and the button on your existing garage door opener's remote until the light starts flashing rapidly. Then release both buttons.
4. Go to your garage door opener and press the “Learn” button. There is usually a light next to that button. That light will turn solid.
5. Go back to your vehicle immediately (you have only 30 seconds for the whole process) and press and hold the button you want to program 2 times for 3 seconds. The light starts flashing rapidly at 3 seconds mark.
It should work after that. I hope my instruction will help someone."

I just used this method posted by ROME191 earlier and it worked for both of my cars! Thanks for posting the step by step process. I was really frustrated with my previous attempts and basically gave up. It's such a nice feature to use.

Last edited by XJL; 02-14-2015 at 12:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
boiler (02-14-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 07:40 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Just did the above procedure worked great. Jaguar probably thought it might confuse people if they posted two procedures in the manual....

Old 03-21-2015, 03:21 PM

So after having my 2013 XF for eight months and being frustrated by this, I finally spent an entire Saturday afternoon with success. The process is even more complicated with newer systems that have CodeDodger technology. Here's a link where you can enter your vehicle model and year as well as your garage door opener model. The VERY specific instructions on this site ultimately worked. I also found that one of my remotes worked better for training than the other so you might try that as well.

http://www.homelink.com/program/process/1

Old 09-18-2015, 12:47 PM
Default Homelink and Your New Jaguar

I just purchased a 2016 Jag and a new Homelink Craftsmen garage door opener for the garage.

I assumed since everything was new that I would just follow the manuals and everything would work as expected. I read the forum and tried several of the approaches and nothing worked EXCEPT:

To buy the repeater mentioned in several of the posts. The garage door box actually had a yellow sheet of paper that said you must buy the repeater for Homelink to function.

I spent about an hour while i waited for the delivery trying all of the different methods and no success at all.

Once the repeater arrived i spent 10 seconds following the instructions and the car manual and it all WORKED PERFECTLY in an instant.

I think the box said any garage door opener newer than 2011 required the repeater for Homelink to work in the car, so don't waste any time trying any of the other ideas or searching the web for answers, if your opener and car are new, just buy the repeater and then follow the instructions and it works just like the manual states:

1) clear the car's homelink codes first
2) put the 'repeater remote' ( comes with the repeater) up next to the Homelink car buttons, press the buttons together for 6 seconds or until the flashing light changes from slow to super fast (or some other variation of obvious change)
3) plug in the repeater
4) press the learn button on garage opener console
5) press and hold the Car's Homelink button until the garage door light flashes (within 30 seconds of pressing the learn button). If after 5 seconds the lights don't flash, press the Homelink button again for 5 seconds, then maybe again for 5 seconds, if that doesn't do it, then you may have another issue or missed a step.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:50 PM

Exactly, new garage door openers (2011, i think) are more complex than the Homelink transmitter, so you have to have the repeater to sync the codes from Homelink to the Garage Door Console

Old 01-26-2016, 08:10 PM
Default Convenience Mode

While trying to program garage door opener my manual refers to "convenience" mode. When I open door, nothing works. Any help appreciated

Old 03-26-2016, 01:28 AM

My 2014 F type V6 S wouldn't open my Chamberlain garage opener when I followed the Manual instructions. It wouldn't sync with the hand held remote (amber light on the rear view mirror, wouldn't acknowledge the hand held remote and would not start flashing quickly. I couldn't get past this stage and when I tried to sync it with the actual garage opener smart button, their would be no response.
I ended up calling Home Link and they said I needed their "Repeater" to communicate my Jag to the hand held remote. Got the repeater for just he price of shipping $8 and was able to sync the supplied "Repeater Remote" that comes with it the Jag. Now I was able to get to step 3 which is the syncing the "Smart" button of the Garage Opener to the car and now everything works great!!!!
Seems you need the Repeater to get it working if yours doesn't work properly!

Old 01-13-2017, 08:54 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

will this do two devices does anyone know? I have electric gates and a garage and wondered if it has the function for more than one device?

Old 01-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

have any of the canadians been able to get this to work? my car is canadian spec and I havent been able to connect it to my garage.

is there confirmation that the repeater will work for canadian cars?

Quick Reply: Programming Garage Door Opener