XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Service Needed message at start up

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts
Default Service Needed message at start up

The last few days when I start the car "Service Needed" message displays in the console between the guages then switches to the normal display.

Any thoughts on why this would pop up? I am coming up on my 1 year of Ownership but I didn't think the car would keep track of that. I haven't observed any issues with the car, seems to be running normal.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

10,000 mile service interval?

How many miles do you have on it?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Apparently, the vehicles do keep track of time. Mine flashed the service required message about three weeks before before the first year was up at only 9.2K miles. I assume the three weeks was to allow appointment time. Since the clock is always running, my guess is that they have a counter function for clock hours that trips the message after 8256 hours have elapsed. There is probably a mileage counter function as well that trips about 500 mies or so before the 15K, 30K, etc. periods are reached. Whichever occurs first trips the message. I assume the service required message reset probably just clears the counters.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member

I have About 7k miles. Jerry S's experience is what I suspected. I also received an email from Jag a week or so ago saying I was do for service. This is why I don't agree with the dealer that servicevis due annually regardless of mileage. I have another thread on my service interval. I will recontact the dealer.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

The oil change is required at least annually. In fact, that's what "service" means now. Nothing else really gets "serviced" except engine oil and filter. Once per year or 10,000 miles whichever comes first.

Don't ignore the annual oil change unless your not keeping the car for long. The engine will suffer.

jaguny (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Hi,

I am told by my service people and where I bought the car..that at the 15,000 mile mark or the anniversary date (1 year) which ever comes first, a Service Message will appear on the DIC (Driver Information Center) and It usually means the OIL/Filter is needed to be changed (the dealer has the only means of resetting this message I'm told)..But additionally to just the OIL CHANGE, I also was told that during these service intervals, that any or all fluids needed to be topped up will be, along with wiper blades and even if the brake pads are worn to the point of wear-out they will be changed as well under this complimentary service program....I have 4 years of this service with my car...Woo-Hoo!

jaguny (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

This was posted a while back which I saved. For those that want to turn it off try this:

* Switch ignition OFF.
* Within 3 seconds: Press and hold button .A.
* DO NOT depress brake pedal.
* Press start/stop button to switch ignition ON.
* Release button A.
* Press and hold button .B, then press and hold button .A.
* The message "RESETTING SERVICE MODE" will appear in the display.
* Keep buttons A and .B depressed for 10 seconds.
* The message "SERVICE MODE RESET" will appear in the display.
* Release buttons .A and .B.
* Press start/stop button to switch ignition OFF.

FYI: The 2009 XF does not have a service reminder light.

Attached Thumbnails Service Needed message at start up-jaguarxf2010servicereset.jpg  

Last edited by Blackcoog; 04-25-2013 at 11:21 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Blackcoog:
DPK (04-25-2013), jaguny (04-25-2013), winocco (07-17-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

I suppose that the good salesman never went over the features of the car. The service interval is posted in the passport to service manual with the owners literature pack. I do not recommend letting the oil change go past the 15k though. The oil may hold up but do you want to be the one who finds out and buys yourself a $15k engine? The service light will come on 15k or one year, whatever comes first. It will need to be reset with the manual method or with a dealer dongle or SDD.

jaguny (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 12:24 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Good Info, Thanks..

Old 04-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

That is correct, 15k or once a year.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Yep, My car was built 11/11 and I bought it new 10/12. With just a few hundred miles on it the service reminder showed up. I just reset it so in another year it will come back on for a real service schedule.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:48 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Hi Lew,

Did you use the manual method to reset as described in Blackcoog's post ?

Old 04-25-2013, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

Here's the story on my car. It is an '11 that was either purchased or registered by an out of state dealer in August of '11. I had it brought in to my dealer via a car search and purchased the car with 100 miles on it in May of '12. My dealer is telling me that the 15k service time period passed in August of '12; The oil has never been changed in the car, but it only now has 7k miles. I was told by my dealer that although a year is up, Jag requires the car to stay on it's service interval that was established in August of '11 and that service (my first) is not technically due until August of this year; 1 year and 3 months after I bought it. They offered to due the oil change when I brought it in to have an oem black grille installed in lieu of the chrome. He said it could wait 3 months as Jag did not require the oil change even if a year had passed. He would have been concerned if I had over 15k miles. Was I owed an oil change (15k service )although I had only owned the car for 3 months and there was probably less than 1k miles on it at the time? Who sets the "service needed "message. Obviously Jag knows I have owned the car for a year in May as they also sent me an email. I wouldn't think this is that critical given there is only a three month difference until I get the service completed in June. I will likely have about 9k miles at that time.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by DPK
Hi Lew,

Did you use the manual method to reset as described in Blackcoog's post ?
Yes, but you have to do all those crazy steps very quickly or it won't work.

See this thread.

Last edited by hlgeorge; 04-25-2013 at 08:34 PM.
DPK (04-25-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Here's the story on my car. It is an '11 that was either purchased or registered by an out of state dealer in August of '11. I had it brought in to my dealer via a car search and purchased the car with 100 miles on it in May of '12. My dealer is telling me that the 15k service time period passed in August of '12; The oil has never been changed in the car, but it only now has 7k miles. I was told by my dealer that although a year is up, Jag requires the car to stay on it's service interval that was established in August of '11 and that service (my first) is not technically due until August of this year; 1 year and 3 months after I bought it. They offered to due the oil change when I brought it in to have an oem black grille installed in lieu of the chrome. He said it could wait 3 months as Jag did not require the oil change even if a year had passed. He would have been concerned if I had over 15k miles. Was I owed an oil change (15k service )although I had only owned the car for 3 months and there was probably less than 1k miles on it at the time? Who sets the "service needed "message. Obviously Jag knows I have owned the car for a year in May as they also sent me an email. I wouldn't think this is that critical given there is only a three month difference until I get the service completed in June. I will likely have about 9k miles at that time.
I got a little confused reading your times, just my ADD. The services do expire 15 months after the official in-service date printed on the Jaguar DDW sheet. Some cars go in to loaner service and the warranty period starts then. It sounds like your car got put "into service" but not actually driven. It could have been the dealer needed to show one more car sold for the month or something abnormal but legitimate like that. Since your dealer did the oil change, no worries. Just keep an eye on it for the warranty. 4 years 50,000 miles from the in-service date.

enjoy

jaguny (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

The oil has not been changed yet. Sorry for the confusion. Oil will be changed in August, 15 months after purchase.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:21 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Well..Mine just started to remind me..I have a little over a month to go before it's 1 year anniversary from being in service and less than 9000 miles on the clock...So recently at start up, I get the message "Service Required" in amber letters and it stays on for about 2 to 3 seconds, then the clock appears and I don't see the message again until the next start up.....

Made an appointment for this Wednesday (7-17)..I will pick the service tech's brain on the whole oil change deal (I know him well and we're friends from my years of owning the X-Type), including the oil drain plug vs sucking it out..etc, etc, etc...

Old 07-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DPK
Well..Mine just started to remind me..I have a little over a month to go before it's 1 year anniversary from being in service and less than 9000 miles on the clock...So recently at start up, I get the message "Service Required" in amber letters and it stays on for about 2 to 3 seconds, then the clock appears and I don't see the message again until the next start up.....

Made an appointment for this Wednesday (7-17)..I will pick the service tech's brain on the whole oil change deal (I know him well and we're friends from my years of owning the X-Type), including the oil drain plug vs sucking it out..etc, etc, etc...
Remember, the oil change is required annually or until one of the specified the mileage intervals is reached in order to maintain the warranty.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:06 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jerry S
Remember, the oil change is required annually or until one of the specified the mileage intervals is reached in order to maintain the warranty.
Yes, I know...As been discussed many, many times here before..MY 2012 model XF requires an oil change and new filter at the 1 year anniversary, or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first....this routine is repeated every year for 4 years, with the Platinum Coverage

Last edited by DPK; 07-14-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Hlt
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted to ensure I understood the service needed message light at startup - if it goes off after a few seconds (shows the clock), does that mean service is needed, or is that just part of the startup routine where other indicator lights briefly go on?
Thanks,

Quick Reply: Service Needed message at start up