XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Start stop button cracked

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 11:39 PM
Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Waweiss
I found a quick, $8.00 and very effective solution.

This is advertised as a decal but it is actually a button cover. My button was gone, it literally a hoke where the button cover use to be. I would start the car from the outer rim of the button.

The cover is thick and semi-flexible. It comes with its own adhesive. For heavy use you may want to cutout a circle from a fast food plastic cup and use that as backing. Super glue may also be an option for heavy use. I just used it as-is, it works and looks great. For a cracked button I would just use it as-is.

BMW Engine start stop button repair kit 3d sticker decal E90 E91 E60 E61 E84

My XK has a similar console to the XF and a similar cracked start button. After reading your post I ordered this decal on eBay - it's an exact fit. The new 'button' is convex instead of concave, but looks OEM to the untrained eye and took only seconds to install. Excellent recommendation!

Old 06-23-2019, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start button repair jag xf

Originally Posted by Darryl Hurt
I have a 2010 xf and this seems to be a problem with the thin plastic on the start/stop button The center of mine completely detached and fell into the hollow. From what I've researched, there is no part replacement other then replacing the console for around $750 not counting labor. A cheaper $3.00 fix is to order this cabinet knob and place it in the hollow plastic button. Works great for me and looks like it belongs there.
Liberty PN0058C-SN-C 7/8-Inch Diameter Cabinet Hardware Knob 25mm Height

I cut the base of a bottle cap, crazy glued the brocken start button to it and glued that to whats left of the push button stem..done

Old 09-01-2019, 02:13 AM

did you have to cut the stem off the knob? my jaguar 2015 xf sport button has fallen in

Old 09-27-2019, 12:58 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Didn't know this was an issue. I will design start stop button covers if anyone want to buy them. These will be high quality clear rubber domed stickers with chrome metallic background.They will apply with adhesive backing so are self-stick.

Here are a couple of versions. I can keep or remove the start stop and or add jaguar text logo. I will alter the text size once a get a chance to measure in my car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jssaab:
Saad Tanveer (04-19-2020), Vistacom1 (10-11-2021)
Old 10-20-2019, 03:28 PM

Were the Jaguar start button decals ever made? Mine cracked as well and I’m looking for a simple fix that looks authentic. Thank you

Old 01-14-2020, 07:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you selling these now? I would like a white start stop button with the jaguar logo......I do I communicate you for payment, if you are still making these?
I don't won't to break any forum rules....
Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Saad Tanveer (04-19-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 08:27 AM

All, I am working with my vendor to make these. I am trying to get clear versions so the that illumination from the button shines through ( I think the heartbeat of the jaguar Start/stop is very cool and want to preserve that)

I will only make one style, most likely black or red)

Old 01-17-2020, 10:59 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nasa25
Yes I checked eBay and there's no oe parts for the xf (only generic Chinese products). I came across a salvage TCM for around 70 pounds but I'd rather not have to get another TCM installed and programmed.
I recently ordered from here and the Quality is not bad. it came with start button and all the gear leaver area stickers. i mainly order because my "P" on the gear shift indicator was fading. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3300...58f24c4dA0zkVW

Old 01-24-2020, 06:57 PM

Please contact me if you have made these start/stop buttons. I would like to buy one, please. I prefer the white, but will accept either.
Thank you for your reply,

Old 03-03-2020, 01:19 PM
Default Start stop button

Originally Posted by Jssaab
Didn't know this was an issue. I will design start stop button covers if anyone want to buy them. These will be high quality clear rubber domed stickers with chrome metallic background.They will apply with adhesive backing so are self-stick.

Here are a couple of versions. I can keep or remove the start stop and or add jaguar text logo. I will alter the text size once a get a chance to measure in my car.

I would be interesting in purchasing a button when you have it’s available.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:02 AM

love one of these if you have or are going to make them ??? Rgds Stuart

Old 04-12-2020, 04:39 PM
Default How I fixed my broken START / STOP button

I saw the link for a decal on eBay, but I don't buy from eBay, since my account has been compromised 2 or three time--so I just don't use eBay anymore.
I used a small paper cup--the kind you might use at a dentist office for mouthwash, or a small cup of water....
I cut out the bottom, rolled up the thin card board cut tightly, and cut the length or the height of the paper/card board the depth of the Start/Stop button cavity. I then use the bottom of the cup as the "top" of the paper/card board.
I glued my original cracked button to the top of my make shift "stand" (The bottom of the small paper cup and my original START / STOP button are glued together. (I actually put a round thin piece of Styrofoam in the corner of a plastic sandwich bag to give a softer surface between the card/paper board stand the the bottom of the paper cup, so that when I push on the START/ STOP button, I don't crack the START/STOP button due to the pressure. The Styrofoam layer offers "some give" between the START/ STOP button and the card/paper board "stand."
After I put the rolled up card/paper board into the START/STOP "cavity, I used a pocket knife to carefully force or slide the edges of the START/STOP button to be flush with the metal round edge.
It works! The length of the paper /card board gives "strength" or structure for the START / STOP button when I push down to start or stop the car.
Later, I will go by a salvage yard and buy another one or the whole unit and have a Jaguar Mechanic replace it correctly. but it certainly works for now!
By the way, have "y'all" noticed that you can not buy a Jaguar XF V8 Supercharged these day in the newest models, unless you get the very top of the line, for about 70-80 thousand US dollars?
So, does that make our V8 Supercharged Jaguars more valuable? It does for me.....
I hope this idea helps, or you can adapt what I did for yourself.
If a better button is ever made, please let me know.
Thanks for this forum!

Old 04-19-2020, 12:41 PM

did u every get a chance to print any right sized XF start button stickers.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:52 PM

I couldn't beat these prices.jaguar start stop button cover

There is also a clear one that allows you to see the pulsing red color, I can't make mine clear

Old 05-29-2020, 07:18 PM

I'm selling the button covers now on ebay. Take a look at the Marketplace thread

Old 05-07-2022, 08:43 AM
Default Current Solutions?

I see that this thread has been inactive for a while. I have experienced the same issue (cracked start/stop button) in a 2009 XF. Are there any new solutions?

If Jssaab is still selling the replacement button, I cannot find it.

Old 05-09-2022, 08:12 PM

I still have some, just stopped selling on ebay... If you want one, leave your email here, since you have not had enough posts to get a DM

Old 07-09-2022, 02:35 PM

I still have some, just stopped selling on ebay... If you want one, leave your email here, since you have not had enough posts to get a DM
What Colors do you have Available? I would absolutely Love One. My Email Address is:

chriswulfgangofficial@gmail.com

Old 07-09-2022, 03:30 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I too just had my start/stop button crack all the way through. I'm looking for a solution that allows the backlight to show through like the OE button. If I can't find anything, I guess I'll machine something from aluminum and maybe do an epoxy fill. This could be fun. It's nice to have access to my own CNC and fiber laser.

Old 07-10-2022, 10:07 AM

I still have these....

Look a little blurry so up close especially backlit.

To make them as bright as possible you need to peel back most of the button and leave enough of the edge to adhere to. They are self stich wiht a pretty sticky adhesive but if there is not enough you may need to glue them on.

Funny I sold hundereds of these on eBay when I had my store, but on here no one wants to take them. GIve it a try and send money only if it works, no big deal to me. I was doing this during the pandemic to keep my piece of crap Jag on the road....

Quick Reply: Start stop button cracked