XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Starting to doubt my purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to doubt my purchase

I have had my 2009 XF (non-sc) for almost 2 weeks now and I think I am starting to regret it.

Firstly, I have tpms warnings randomly coming in for all four wheels

Secondly, my check engine light came on. I took it back to where I got it, they reset it but didn't remember to write down the code, saying it was the fuel system??

The CEL is now back on and the same dealer won't touch it as it was sold without warranty.

Now today as I was in a drive through for 5 approx mins I got a "Engine over temp" warning on the screen (the fan came on). What could this be? Water pump? No issues when driving and outside temp was 68. Checked the coolant level and it was good

I'm starting to feel pretty bad about this purchase

Last edited by deftone; 11-15-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:32 PM

Also, while I was under the hood checking the coolant, I noticed I have a Toyota AFM installed....is this normal?? It looks like the normal Jag loom and plug. I would have expected some parts interchangability with perhaps LR or even carry over from Ford...but surely the Toyota part is not the same??

Old 11-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

TPMS might be valve stems with dying batteries if they're factory originals. Batteries may start to fade after 5 years. Do you have the updated TPMS valve stems (darker anodizing, taller securing nut and less exposed valve stem threads)? Otherwise it may be the central processor, they've been known to fail. A dealer should be able to reset the TPMS and that might so,be your issue.

CEL just might be a software issue. My ''09 had this. Jaguar developed a re-flash to fix it. This was an air related issue and before the software fault was uncovered they replaced the air pump with no effect.

Engine over temp might be a failing thermostat at this age. Or it might be a faulty sender. Get it looked at though as actual engine overheating can damage the engine. A leaking water pump would actually lower the coolant level. There's a separate warning for low coolant.

The FI system definitely won't be Jaguar or Ford. Unless the part has Toyota stamped on it I doubt is is a Toyota part. Toyota does manufacture its own FI systems but who builds the parts for them is an interesting question. Rest assured that the wrong part would throw a CEL....

I don't know who supplies Jaguar with its FI system but Japan supplies components for FI systems used in lots of vehicles.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem with the TPMS, took it to my Jaguar dealer and they replaced the sending unit under warranty. I realize that your car may not be under warranty, but some safety and emissions systems most likely still are.

I would question the Toyota part, could this car have been in an accident and you were not made aware of it? Have the place that you bought it from give you a copy of the Car Fax.

When you go to the local Jaguar dealer, they can run the VIN against their database to see what has been repaired and when, ask them to do it.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like you bought a vehicle with a few issues. Might have been why the previous owner got rid of it. Not much you can do besides bite the bullet and fix the issues, then enjoy driving one of the most gorgeous vehicles on the road

Old 11-16-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by jagular
TPMS might be valve stems with dying batteries if they're factory originals. Batteries may start to fade after 5 years. Do you have the updated TPMS valve stems (darker anodizing, taller securing nut and less exposed valve stem threads)? Otherwise it may be the central processor, they've been known to fail. A dealer should be able to reset the TPMS and that might so,be your issue.

CEL just might be a software issue. My ''09 had this. Jaguar developed a re-flash to fix it. This was an air related issue and before the software fault was uncovered they replaced the air pump with no effect.

Engine over temp might be a failing thermostat at this age. Or it might be a faulty sender. Get it looked at though as actual engine overheating can damage the engine. A leaking water pump would actually lower the coolant level. There's a separate warning for low coolant.

The FI system definitely won't be Jaguar or Ford. Unless the part has Toyota stamped on it I doubt is is a Toyota part. Toyota does manufacture its own FI systems but who builds the parts for them is an interesting question. Rest assured that the wrong part would throw a CEL....

I don't know who supplies Jaguar with its FI system but Japan supplies components for FI systems used in lots of vehicles.
The TPMS sensors are bare metal, not anodized so I guess at some point they have been changed. The car came with new tires so is it possible when changing the rubber the tech has messed them up somehow? They don't look new enough to have been changed with the most recent tire change.

Is there any way of knowing if I need the reflash? A range of VIN numbers?

And the AFM does indeed have Toyota stamped (or molded) into the plastic, I guess the part numbers match or something?

Old 11-16-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by chairman25
I had the same problem with the TPMS, took it to my Jaguar dealer and they replaced the sending unit under warranty. I realize that your car may not be under warranty, but some safety and emissions systems most likely still are.

I would question the Toyota part, could this car have been in an accident and you were not made aware of it? Have the place that you bought it from give you a copy of the Car Fax.

When you go to the local Jaguar dealer, they can run the VIN against their database to see what has been repaired and when, ask them to do it.
The carfax did not have any accidents recorded against the car, although I guess it wouldn't hurt the local dealer to run the VIN also. Looking at the car there is nothing to suggest that it has had a front end impact looking both in the engine bay and under the car.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by nasa25
Sounds like you bought a vehicle with a few issues. Might have been why the previous owner got rid of it. Not much you can do besides bite the bullet and fix the issues, then enjoy driving one of the most gorgeous vehicles on the road
I love driving the car, I fully intend to fix it up and get out there on the roads!

Old 11-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

You can also go to any Autozone and have them pull the CEL codes for you and then just write them down and bring them here for help.

As for the cooling issue. Did the overheating issue happen on the freeway? Normally a failed water pump will exhibit trouble cooling at highway speeds. If not, then it might be a thermostat problem. In which case the fix is only about 15 bucks and can be done easily at home with a few simple tools.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by aCapiz
As for the cooling issue. Did the overheating issue happen on the freeway? Normally a failed water pump will exhibit trouble cooling at highway speeds. If not, then it might be a thermostat problem. In which case the fix is only about 15 bucks and can be done easily at home with a few simple tools.
The overheating occurred while stationary, when I started driving again the message disappeared. The fan came on as expected.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

This really makes me think it is a thermostat problem. Sure fire way to tell is to notice if the lower radiator hose remains cold while the car is at operating temperature (the upper radiator hose will be hot indicating that coolant is not running through the system).

Very easy fix and cheap so you might just want to replace it.

NOTE: on later model cars, car temperature is really tied in closely with the fuel injection system. So if the CEL happened around the same time that the car started overheating then it cold be thermostat stuck closed caused the incorrect engine temperature ranges and threw off the fuel system causing your dealer to read a fuel system malfunction code.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by deftone
The TPMS sensors are bare metal, not anodized so I guess at some point they have been changed. The car came with new tires so is it possible when changing the rubber the tech has messed them up somehow? They don't look new enough to have been changed with the most recent tire change.

Is there any way of knowing if I need the reflash? A range of VIN numbers?

And the AFM does indeed have Toyota stamped (or molded) into the plastic, I guess the part numbers match or something?
Any dealer can update your software.

The TPMS issues you are experiencing could well be from non OEM spec valve stems. It is very easy for an incompetent tire shop to damage all four sensors. There are required techniques for fitting and removing tires from wheels equipped with TPMS valve stems.

Can you post a photo of one of the valve stems showing the nut securing it into the wheel?

Old 11-16-2013, 05:01 PM

Any dealer can update your software.

The TPMS issues you are experiencing could well be from non OEM spec valve stems. It is very easy for an incompetent tire shop to damage all four sensors. There are required techniques for fitting and removing tires from wheels equipped with TPMS valve stems.

Can you post a photo of one of the valve stems showing the nut securing it into the wheel?
sure can.... all 4 wheels have this same style of sensor..

Attached Thumbnails Starting to doubt my purchase-photo.jpg  
Old 11-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Also, while I was under the hood checking the coolant, I noticed I have a Toyota AFM installed....is this normal?? It looks like the normal Jag loom and plug. I would have expected some parts interchangability with perhaps LR or even carry over from Ford...but surely the Toyota part is not the same??
Some Jaguar Mass Airflow Sensors (MAFS) are actually interchangeable with Toyota. You likely have an aftermarket rebuilt MAFS if it is labelled Toyota. There is nothing necessarly wrong with that.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 11-16-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

sure can.... all 4 wheels have this same style of sensor..
That looks like the updated one, which is good. They added a taller nut to support the valve stem better.

My guess is you may need a reset, failing which you may need a new TPMS control unit.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:14 AM

That looks like the updated one, which is good. They added a taller nut to support the valve stem better.

My guess is you may need a reset, failing which you may need a new TPMS control unit.
Is a new control unit something that can be fitted at home? Or would it be dealer only?

How much roughly would I expect to pay for a new unit fitted by a dealer? Don't want to go in and get ripped off!

Old 11-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

What was the resolution, if any, to the engine overheat issue? If it is a thermostat, that's something that an engine temp gauge would help to possibly troubleshoot, but as we know, there is no temp gauge. Good luck, and sure hope you have smooth sailing once you get through what ideally are just teething pains for you.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:59 PM

Ok, got a small update, the CEL code was P0128. Am I correct in saying that this is a bad O2 Sensor?

As for the overheating. I have noticed that generally within 15-20 seconds of coming to a stop the fan kicks on, although I have not been sitting with the engine running long enough to see the high temp alarm come in.

I did shoot the radiator with my IR temp gun, there was a 30-35degF difference between the top and bottom of the Radiator. What I did notice was a large temperature difference between the left and right of the radiator (standing at the front looking at the engine). Is this normal? The left side was in the region of 185, with the right side around 100. Could the radiator be blocked?

On a more positive note, the TMPS seems to have settled down a little. Coming on only once or twice per day instead of constantly

Old 11-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
The following users liked this post:
deftone (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a 2007 XK and assume it's engine is similar to your i.e. I'm guessing.

I had an overheat problem that happened only when I pulled to a stop after driving. I suspected the thermostat and removed the thermostat cover. I then discovered that the coolant outlet assy was broken internally causing the water from the water pump to not pass fully thru the radiator therefore causing an overheat problem at idle.

I've a couple of threads on the XK forum on this. This is as far as I care to go with this right now. The plastic coolant outlet assy cost me approx 150 bucks give or take. This from memory. A new water thermo sensor and thermostat were part of the coolant outlet assy I bought.

Just pull off the thermostat cover and take a look. The thermostat is a part of the cover. It's clocked into that cover. The part of the outlet assy that was broken was a molded pipe that makes with the butt end of the thermostat. The large broken off piece of the outlet assy allowed water that had already passed thru the engine, to bypass the radiator and return directly to the water pump inlet i.e. not much cooling being done that way.

The following users liked this post:
deftone (11-22-2013)

Quick Reply: Starting to doubt my purchase