XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Supercharger Whine

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 AM
Mdm
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supercharger Whine

Hi All,

I tried searching the forum but couldn't really find any information.

I have a 2009 Jaguar XF SV8 and the supercharger, although extremely nice, is very quiet I wish it had more of a whine and I was wondering if there is any ways to increase the sound without having to change the entire pulley (and voiding the warranty).

Does anyone have any experience in this?

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

On other cars I've worked on there is a resonance tube or section of tubing put in place to reduce intake noise/resonance. Removing/blocking that off could change the noise level. I'm not sure how you'd do it without having a custom pipe/intake piece made up. It could be done though. See engine picture below for the section of plastic shaped like a U connecting the two intake sides together before the throttle body.

OR you could change the intake to a custom intake with a K&N cone filters. You'd probably loose power due to heat soak unless they were in the fender area or boxed in to keep engine heat away. Nobody makes a kit like that. Removing the engine cover and fabric/insulation attached to the underside of the hood might raise the noise a bit.

Swapping on a Goodyear Gatorback belt produces a noticeable whine as well so that's another option. A Gatorback belt is always a good idea to reduce the chance of belt slippage on the supercharger pulley under load.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 04-24-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts

From what I gathered my 09 had a slight whine in the upper RPM area. My XFR has no whine at all which I find strange. JAguar went through many steps to keep the motor and exhaust very tame as to keep this primarly as a luxury car with a kick when needed.
I am also told that changing the pulley on either model will not increase the whine.

It sure would be nice to have a whine like those cobras or saleens I see all the time.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

The SC whine on a Cobra increases significantly when swapping on a new intake tube. The intake was designed to quiet the whine down to meet noise restrictions. They scream pretty loud with an aftermarket intake.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

I agree and just for testing I took out my air filters on my 09 to see iof there was a difference in sound and there was none. Granted the stock tubes were still in place but I figure with no filters it would flow much more to give a whine. I was wrong.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Why on earth would anyone want to hear more whining? The lovely V8 growl that the NA 5.0 has is suppressed on the SC versions, but I would rather it wasn't. I guess that much of that noise comes from the intake, so that by suppressing the SC whine, they also suppressed the V8 growl?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, on the non-SC engines the V8 growl is actually tuned to C and piped into the cabin, but the SC forced induction can't produce the same effect (it seems).

Old 04-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Mdm

So from what I gather, there isn't a cheap way to increase the supercharger whine?

My inspiration was actually this video (it's from a forum member, but can't remember who).

Jaguar S-Type R hunting a Pontiac G8 GT - YouTube

You can clearly hear his supercharger whine at 0:15 seconds and this is the old supercharged V8, so it should be possible on the new XF.

There must be a simple way, all superchargers make noise, it's just being quieted somehow in the engine bay.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

This is what would make me very happy. It has to be more than just a Pulley to get this sound?

Jaguar XFR | High Speed Test - YouTube

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="Jaguar XFR | High Speed Test - YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The following users liked this post:
nycstr (12-27-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member

You could probably post a thread in the S-type section asking about it. Those with the S-type R might know right away.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BigCat09
This is what would make me very happy. It has to be more than just a Pulley to get this sound?

Jaguar XFR | High Speed Test - YouTube

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="Jaguar XFR | High Speed Test - YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I expect that is a standard XFR. At full chat all of our SC cars will sound like that. You won't hear it from inside the car though, with all that air rushing by at 155 mph +! Have you had someone else drive your car around while you stand outside? It sounds better than you think...

Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

I have not triedthat yet. But isnt this the XFR that broke 225MPH? It must have been a modded blower, pulley, exhaust,ECU, ETC?

Now I will have to set up a camera and do a fly by or 2 to see what it sounds like.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
You could probably post a thread in the S-type section asking about it. Those with the S-type R might know right away.
Having had an S-Tyrpe R, I can tell you that there was a very noticable S/C whine inside the car when the revs exceeded 4000 at full throttle. My 09 S/C has a slight interior whine at full throtle near red-line.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

This was the mods on the XFR in my above post :
"Running with minor aerodynamic and safety modifications to meet the requirements for a Bonneville run, the 225mph top speed was achieved with additional horsepower liberated by a remapped ECU, a modified air intake and exhaust system and revised supercharger settings. No internal engine components were changed and the six-speed automatic transmission was standard, including the gear ratios."

So the modded intake is probably where most of the sound is coming from.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

I was on the fence about getting the 4.2L SC vs the 5.0L (natural), and after watching that video it was clear that I need to drive a nuclear missile sounding car. Sweetest sound in the world.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:45 AM
Mdm

Hey guys, I found this video.

He's using an Eaton M112 supercharger (same as my Jaguar XF SV8)

M112 mustang driveby and launch - YouTube

Listen to how much louder the whine is on this car with the same blower

Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Ok, To give you guys a better idea on how it works I made 2 short vids. The first vid is with the stock intake and hood open. The second vid is with the hood open and the airboxes open with no filters. Notice the difference? Now if you had just those simple intake tubes with cone filters on it would be even louder like all those stangs are. But our engine bay is so hot our cars would be sucking in hot air also which sucks for performance.

XFR intake 3 - YouTube

XFR intake - YouTube

The following users liked this post:
Mdm (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 06:00 AM
Mdm

There is definitely a difference in the sound between those videos and I appreciate you taking the time to make a video.

Do you know if the XFR has the same Eaton M112 supercharger in it? If so, what about the pulley's, are they the same size?

Even the first video sounds a hell of alot louder then mine withe the hood up, do you have any other modifications?

I'm starting to wonder if the supercharger is loud but the sound is being suppressed in some way to give that "luxury" feel, most people wouldn't think a huge whine is the mark of a luxury car... that's just my thoughts.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

This should provide lots for everyone here!!!

The new XFR is, of course, the high-performance version of the Jaguar's sleek XF sedan. And at the heart of the XFR is an entirely new AJ-V8 Gen III engine. The motor only shares two components with the previous 4.2-liter mill: head bolts and tappets. The XFR's direct-injected 5.0-liter V8 is blown with a sixth-generation Roots-type Eaton supercharger, same design to the one used in the Corvette ZR-1. Jaguar claims that the supercharger is not only 20 percent more efficient, but also uses less energy than the previous generation 4.2-liter. The result is a mind-blowing 510 hp. Torque is similarly mountainous at 461 lb.-ft., and a graphical representation of the engine's power delivery reveals an expansive plateau between 2500 and 5500 rpm.

Read more: 2010 Jaguar XFR Test Drive: 510-hp Supercharged Monster Alongside Posh Luxury Sedan - Popular Mechanics

A sixth-generation, twin vortex system (TVS) supercharger is fitted to the XFR’s 510PS engine. It is a compact Roots-type unit, feeding air through twin intercoolers, which in turn are water-cooled by their own discreet cooling circuit. The high helix rotor design improves the supercharger thermodynamic efficiency by 16 percent. It also improves noise quality to the point where the unit is now virtually inaudible (making supercharger whine a thing of the past). The intercoolers reduce the temperature of the pressurised intake-air and so optimise power and efficiency.

Scroll to the middle: http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...duction_1.html
Confirmed it is the same as the CTS and ZR1 Vette which means it can be modded easy: http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/OurCompan...ases/CT_139525

http://www.superchargersonline.com/i...age=page&id=56

Old 04-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

Even the M112 in the 4.2L supercharged version is different than the Cobra M112. The snout is completely different and the pulley's between the two cars are not interchangeable. I already compared them back to back.

However, porting companies should be able to port the Jag M112 the same as they would on a Cobra M112. There are pulley options out there for the Jag even though they are overpriced. So there are ways to increase power if you were looking to do that with the SC 4.2. I'd bet you could push the power up into the XFR range for the fraction of the cost of upgrading to a actual XFR (15-20k).

Last edited by Blackcoog; 04-27-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Whine