XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Tach acting strange at startup

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach acting strange at startup

Hi All,

I just picked up a low millage 2011 XF SC a couple of weeks ago. I am really enjoying the car. I am coming from the BMW family, my last 4 cars were, 335is, M5, 135i and 325i. I am getting use to the Jag and how different it is from a BMW.

With that said, I have noticed an issue with the Tach that I am not sure if others have seen. When I first startup the car in the morning the Tach needle shutters at 0 RPMs and then after a second or two jumps to the actual RPM. This only happens when the car has been “asleep” for a period of time, if I turn off the car and restart the needle will go right to the correct RPM. The engine sounds fine but I am a bit worried I have an electrical gremlin. I will bring it to the dealer’s attention at the next service but just wondering if this is common or not.

Cheers,

Rob

Old 01-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

This happens on mine as well, especially when it is cold outside. I don't worry about it, it is most likely normal from a cold start.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

The tachs are electronic these days, so it may take a bit for all the sensors it depends on to sync.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Congratulations on the SC. What color combo do you have? Post a few photos if you get a chance. I need to check if mine does this.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

We really need some pictures of your car, mine is liquid silver with spice interior. My tach does the same thing. When you use up your Dunlop crap tires that came with the car go to Michelin Pilot Super Sports stock size. You can get them at Costco for $1366 out the door. I already had a road hazard on mine and it cost $1.10 to have a new tire installed. I kept the old Dunlops and they swapped a Dunlop back on for three days so I didn't have to roll on a spare while they ordered the new tire. No charge for the swap.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I could be wrong, but don't the pre-2012 cars do a system check when you first start the car? That may be the possible cause for it?

Congrats on the new car. How do you like it compared to the M5?

Old 01-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XF - Xtra Fast
We really need some pictures of your car, mine is liquid silver with spice interior. My tach does the same thing. When you use up your Dunlop crap tires that came with the car go to Michelin Pilot Super Sports stock size. You can get them at Costco for $1366 out the door. I already had a road hazard on mine and it cost $1.10 to have a new tire installed. I kept the old Dunlops and they swapped a Dunlop back on for three days so I didn't have to roll on a spare while they ordered the new tire. No charge for the swap.
Off topic, but have to ask, how many miles before Dunlops used up? I was just thinking about the Pilot's and wondering when Dmine OEM's would be used up. Did you do in the Dunlops with a some DSC off driving?

Old 01-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the info, sounds like this is normal behavior but I will have it checked next time it is serviced.

The Jag is black on black, hard to keep clean but when it's clean it looks so good. I will upload some pictures once I wash it, it's quite dirty as we have had some rain in the Bay Area lately.

As far as a comparison to the M5, the Jag is quite different. The M5 was a V10 beast and frankly one of the best cars I have ever owned. With that said, there were two items that I really did not like about the M5 and that was the range per tank, which was abysmal, the fuel warning light would come on with a quarter tank left.

The other thing was the paranoia related to the cost owning the car after the warranty expires and I traded it in before that. I find that BMWs are VERY expensive to own after the maintenance plan and warranty are gone (~$20k to replace the SMG if it breaks). This may also be the case for Jags but I still have 4 years left of both warranty and maintenance so not a concern at this time.

With that said, I think it is likely that the New M5 may be in my future in a couple of years, I would buy CPO to not worry about warranty. It has a bigger gas tank and gains a lot of torque, of course I may stay with Jag if the honeymoon continues.

The M5 steering I would say is more connected than the Jag and the seats are also better. But I think the Jag interior is slightly nicer, although I do miss the heads up display.

I think the SC is a great car and I love the sound and torque this car produces. The M5 requires you wring its neck to get to the real power in the upper RPM range. Also I really love the sleeper quality of this car and frankly there are not nearly as many Jags as there are BMWs in my neck of the woods. I may put a tune in to get a bit more power but that is TBD.

Cheers,

Rob

Old 01-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

Which year M5? Do you know if the F10 M5 still uses hydraulic steering or did it stay with non-ix electronic steering. One of the reasons I bought the Jag over the F10 was the steering. The feel of the traditional BMW steering was altered with the F10, although the '11 F10 ix kept it's hydraulic setup.

One feature of the F10 was you could adjust suspension, steering, and throttle independently of each other. With the Jag SC (and XFR I suspect) you can't separately adjust throttle and suspension. Steering stays the same. Love the Jag.