XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

thermostat removal 201p xfr? can we?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 09:03 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default thermostat removal 201p xfr? can we?

So I was wondering if I could remove the thermostat in my 2010 xfr I did this to my Corvette and it runs a lot better in Florida because we are hot all the time so keeping the engine cool is essential and I wonder if anyone else has done this and will it damage anything or set off a code because I know this engine is completely different from what I'm used to but it is a V8 supercharged and I think it's a Ford V8 not sure but anyway any little side would help thanks guys

Old 03-27-2020, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Two words:
No and No!
The second No because it is NOT a Ford engine!

Old 03-27-2020, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

As said, definitely not a Ford engine.

The thermostat is located inside a plastic housing with multiple outlets that looks like this:

I suspect it's sold as "not user serviceable" but you might be able to fit a thermostat that opens at a lower temp inside if you found one that fit.

However, do not just remove the thermostat. Might be fine as some redneck engineering on an old farm truck, but these engines need looking after, and that includes getting the oil etc up to temperature when the engine's cold. There's a reason why car manufacturers fit thermostats to engines even in hot climates.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

May well cause codes & reduced performance.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Why would you want to remove it? The whole point of a thermostat is that it's open to allow coolant to flow when the engine is hot. So if you are in a hot climate it will be open all the time. So removing it won't do anything??

Old 03-28-2020, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BritCars
Why would you want to remove it? The whole point of a thermostat is that it's open to allow coolant to flow when the engine is hot. So if you are in a hot climate it will be open all the time. So removing it won't do anything??
Basically this. From what I understand the "thinking" behind it is that a thermostat that opens earlier (i.e. at a lower temperature) goes some way to stop the cooling system being "overwhelmed" trying to cool the coolant/oil that's got to a certain temp already when you're driving the car hard, and that if you can give it a "head start" it will help. This then gets translated into "well why don't I just remove it completely" - which is bad because especially during colder weather, the oil might never properly get up to temperature and driving hard with cold oil is pretty much the worst thing you can do to an engine.

Also, making such "modifications" to a cooling system back when car manufacturers didn't give much thought to people who might be driving their car hard on a track in Arizona all the time might make sense, but car manufacture and design has changed to the point where I can confidentlysay that your average car owner simply can't "know better" than the manufacturers who not only built the car in the first place but pile millions upon millions of dollars into R&D every year. They take their cars to the hottest and coldest places and drive them to destruction, and they can't afford to have fundamental parts of the car be unreliable when driven hard, and they design the cooling systems accordingly.

TL;DR don't remove your thermostat, JLR definitely know that Florida exists and what is required of the cooling system in order for it to work there.

Last edited by davetibbs; 03-28-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

In some markets, supposedly "hot" countries such as those in the Middle East, the 2010 XFR came standard with two auxiliary coolant radiators, one behind each of the "nostrils" / grille openings down low either side of the front bumper. On my Oz Market 2010 XFR I only got one, behind the RHS opening, and the LHS opening was covered with a black plastic blanking plate. Go figure, parts of Oz are right up there with the hottest parts on the planet including my neck of the woods in Adelaide SA where it reaches 45C in the shade sometimes.
Point is, this is shown in the 2010 - 2011 XFR Workshop Manual, get it from my Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bet26xniua...kshop.pdf?dl=0
Then you may be able to figure out how to connect up the second auxiliary radiator, but good luck finding the parts!

Old 03-28-2020, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I Go figure, parts of Oz are right up there with the hottest parts on the planet
And yet my North American XF has both auxiliary radiators. Go figure indeed.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by davetibbs
And yet my North American XF has both auxiliary radiators. Go figure indeed.
My guess is that as you are in San Fran you are not a helluva way away from Death Valley which vies with several places including Marble Bar in Western Oz as the hottest place on the planet!

Old 03-29-2020, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
My guess is that as you are in San Fran you are not a helluva way away from Death Valley which vies with several places including Marble Bar in Western Oz as the hottest place on the planet!
Car was bought and brought from Texas. It can get pretty hot there, as I discovered by the brittleness of various plastic cooling pipes by the time I got it.