XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Ticking Sound on Full Lock

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 04:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ticking Sound on Full Lock

Hello, I have a 2015 Jaguar XFS 3.0 S/C AWD that doesn't see a lot driving. There was an issue with the supercharger coupler that was sorted at the dealership under warranty a few days ago. I drove the car back and everything was fine. Yesterday, I took it for a drive and heard a ticking/creaking sound coming into the cabin from the front right hand side of the vehicle. This sound only occurs when the steering is turned all the way to the right (Full lock) and noticeable only at very low speed.

- I inspected the sound while the car was in motion and there is no tire rubbing or anything loose (visually)
- Does not occur upon turning left (full lock)
- There is no vibration in the steering wheel just audible sound that is clearly evident int he cabin and outside
- I took the vehicle for wheel alignment and balancing, 3 wheels were off balance, alignment was perfect aside from a slight camber in the rear right side which apparently cannot be fixed, but too minor to worry about.
: That did not fix the sound

I have set yet another appointment with my Jaguar Dealership, but wanted to know what the cause for this sound might be in an attempt to figure out if it will be covered under CPO warranty or not.

PS The camber on the right rear wheel is about 1.58 degrees according to the tire shop tech. He also said that he can't see any uneven wear on the tire so its no biggie. My understanding is that ~2 degrees is quite significant....should I worry about it? Would the fix be to change the entire control arm (assembly) or and aftermarket camber adjustment kit.

Any suggestion and words of wisdom are appreciated!

Link: https://youtu.be/gEkguF1KhjI

Last edited by Zereldo; 05-30-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

How regular or irregular is the sound?
Is it maybe once every wheel revolution?
If it is then it's probably something on the wheel touching something else or vice versa. I once had a similar ticking sound (but from the rear and nothing to do with the steering angle) and it turned out to be a balancing weight touching the outer edge of the brake caliper, the muppet who balanced the wheels stacked the wheel weights on top of each other rather than side by side.
But the first thing I would check is the wheels nuts, are they all done up to the correct torque (192 Nm).

Old 05-30-2019, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
How regular or irregular is the sound?
Is it maybe once every wheel revolution?
If it is then it's probably something on the wheel touching something else or vice versa. I once had a similar ticking sound (but from the rear and nothing to do with the steering angle) and it turned out to be a balancing weight touching the outer edge of the brake caliper, the muppet who balanced the wheels stacked the wheel weights on top of each other rather than side by side.
But the first thing I would check is the wheels nuts, are they all done up to the correct torque (192 Nm).
Hey Oz thanks for the reply. It doesnt sound like two components touching per se. I had balancing done after the fact, made sure the tire shop torque the lugs to 190 Nm using torque wrench by hand.

Here's a link to the clip, let me know what you think.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Yeah, that's not wheel weights. Sounds more drivetrain related, although unfortunately I'm not particularly familiar with the AWD system on the XF. Potentially a CV joint on a halfshalf starting to wear?

Old 05-31-2019, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
Yeah, that's not wheel weights. Sounds more drivetrain related, although unfortunately I'm not particularly familiar with the AWD system on the XF. Potentially a CV joint on a halfshalf starting to wear?
The more I search the more the sound points towards "CV" joints. Thats a bummer...I hope CPO warranty covers it. Thanks for the input Dave, I appreciate it.

I cant seem to catch a break. Today the trunk latch malfunctioned and needs replacing judging by the grinding sound its making.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Unfortunately CPO doesn't typically cover rubber bushings, covers etc which might be the cause. It could also be the power steering pump - I had one fail on my XF a few years ago. That would be covered (in fact mine is) and a relatively quick fix
Be happy you have CPO!

Old 05-31-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Unfortunately CPO doesn't typically cover rubber bushings, covers etc which might be the cause. It could also be the power steering pump - I had one fail on my XF a few years ago. That would be covered (in fact mine is) and a relatively quick fix
Be happy you have CPO!
I'm happy I got CPO, although I would not have purchased the car if it didn't have it and unfortunately had to pay a steep premium over non-CPO examples. I dropped off the car at the dealership this morning and am subject to pay $300 for inspection. The tech will determine if it is covered under warranty or not...I was hoping it would be but I'm expecting the worst at this point. How much do you reckon I'm looking at for fixing a CV joint? I don't imagine that the boot/rubber housing will be changed alone and may require changing out the entire assembly.

The power steering was changed 4 months ago and had a different sound to what I was hearing this time around and it occurred whenever I turned the steering wheel in either direction and angle.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

They charge you for inspection on CPO? That's strange. I've had both a used Jag and a used LR both with CPO, and never paid anything for inspection or covered work. Is that normal practice at your dealer?

Sounds like you've had a lot of problems for a 2015 vehicle. Mine is a 2010 model and aside from the water pump and power steering pumps under CPO years ago I've really not had anything go wrong

If it's the rubber boots then not very expensive (relatively) - although at dealer could be $500 or more. If the whole joint then a lot more but would then expect CPO more likely to cover

If they say CPO won't pay, ask them to go back and push / check as sometimes depending on how they describe the issue it might get coverage

Old 05-31-2019, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
They charge you for inspection on CPO? That's strange. I've had both a used Jag and a used LR both with CPO, and never paid anything for inspection or covered work. Is that normal practice at your dealer?

Sounds like you've had a lot of problems for a 2015 vehicle. Mine is a 2010 model and aside from the water pump and power steering pumps under CPO years ago I've really not had anything go wrong

If it's the rubber boots then not very expensive (relatively) - although at dealer could be $500 or more. If the whole joint then a lot more but would then expect CPO more likely to cover

If they say CPO won't pay, ask them to go back and push / check as sometimes depending on how they describe the issue it might get coverage
Noted. Will do. I did not pay for any inspection upuntill last year when new management took over and I was told and shown (In print) that every vehicle w/ new warranty or CPO warranty is subject to inspection fee which is waived once the repair is done, either covered by CPO or paid for by the customer.

I asked around other JLR dealerships in the province and all said the same thing.

The car has spent a total of 8 months (and counting, out of 20 months I've owned it) at the dealership for small to normal issues i.e seat cooling, camera, lumbar support, power steering, several coolant leaks, etc. My dad's XJL has faired better; my mum's F-Pace has been a total nightmare and my XF is in the middle in regards to needing repairs.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:25 AM

UPDATE. The dealership was not able to find any issue with the CV joints or control arm. I ended up going to my mechanic and he found the under body plastic shroud had warped at the right end and was rubbing against the wheel at full lock. He ended up cutting a tiny portion of the plastic and now the noise is gone.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Sometimes the simple things!