XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

TPMS still not flawless

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts
Default TPMS still not flawless

My 2013 displayed a false TPMS signal.

Adding one psi , driving, taking out one psi, driving and the fault "cured" itself.

TPMS as currently implemented is a stupid idea that costs a significant amount of money and inconvenience and just doesn't work. It signals false more often than real.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, it's more autojunk that the industry is forced to add that really does nothing to help us. So many vehicles are busy crying wolf with false signals that I think people have broadly learned to ignore the system.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Actually, it is a very effective and useful idea that, in reality, is quite reliable and provides important information to the general public, most of whom will never check their tire (tyre) pressures in-between dealer service. In the "old days" we had gas-pump jockeys who would check your tire pressures each time you filled up. Sadly (or not) those "full service" gas stations have gone the way of the Dodo Bird and have now logically been replaced by an efficient and effective electronic system. As a general rule and applied to the general public over time, these systems will save millions of gallons of gas and pounds of wasted tire "rubber" and enhance safety. Anybody remember the Ford Explorer/Firestone fiasco?

That said, Jaguar's TPMS is not proven as reliable as it should be, at least according to anecdotal evidence on this Forum and my own personal experience. I have; however, had very good luck with the systems on my BMW, Chrysler, Honda and Mercedes products, which have never given me any trouble, but have indicated a puncture or slow leak on more than several occasions over the years.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

It could be a useful idea but not as implemented.

Porsche uses a very good system reporting actual pressures in real time. That's useful.

The idiot light versions are just pointless and dangerous because they don't warn you soon enough.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by jagular
It could be a useful idea but not as implemented.

Porsche uses a very good system reporting actual pressures in real time. That's useful.

The idiot light versions are just pointless and dangerous because they don't warn you soon enough.
Porsche is very much a niche market and not relevant to the discussion. For the mass market, albeit the upper segment, the current system is sufficient.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Uh oh

Old 11-08-2013, 12:40 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

yep, Deja vu

The following users liked this post:
rbobzilla (11-08-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by DPK
yep, Deja vu
ROTFL - I guess it's appropriate that this particular discussion pertains to an "idiot light"... As it relates to the TPMS implementation, I do think Jaguar should do better than what is currently on the XF - not sure how it is implemented on the other Jag models, but my former A8s both had individual psi readings for each tire (and the spare), and that's what Jag should do as well. Even some cheap GM rentals have had individual readings. However, the TPMS warning light is no doubt better than nothing and should be as "reliable" as the other idiot lights, eg, engine temp...

Old 11-08-2013, 10:06 AM
CP1
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VapourTrail
Porsche is very much a niche market and not relevant to the discussion. For the mass market, albeit the upper segment, the current system is sufficient.
My daughter's Chebby Silverado pick-up truck displays the psi for each tire (or tyre). Definitely not a niche market vehicle here in Texas.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:53 PM

Come to think of it my Chrysler 300 displayed individual pressures as well. Not sure were the benefit lies over an "idiot light" as it only came on when one or more tires was low. Either way, you are going to investigate the problem and take the appropriate action. I suppose the argument could be made that it is more informative, but the system on my XF indicates which tire is low with a small visual display, which seems to suffice as well as the Chrysler's. I think in the long run and for most people the how is irrelevant as long as the information is passed on. The bottom line of having the system is to enhance safety. Everything else is simply gravy on the goose.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

The point is twofold: the tire pressure has to drop dangerously low before the warning illuminates so the best the minimum mandatory TPMS offers you is a false sense of security and it falses so frequently you tend to ignore it when it does illuminate.

The TPMS remains off until at least 6 psi has been lost from the specified tire pressure (approximately). An experienced driver can see that with his eyes before he starts off.

Indeed, it would be hard to intentionally design a more uselessly dangerous system. The fact that better systems exist but are not mandatory just adds to the validity of my observation.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

TPMS on Jaguar xf are .... let's just say annoying ! I had my winter tires install and since then the warning light is on and it says The front passenger tire is not monitored (TPMS are brand new) -__- For now, I just ignore it, when I'll feel like it I'll take my machine and reset the TPMS.

P.S I would like to take this system off my car lol

Old 11-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguarxfv8
TPMS on Jaguar xf are .... let's just say annoying ! I had my winter tires install and since then the warning light is on and it says The front passenger tire is not monitored (TPMS are brand new) -__- For now, I just ignore it, when I'll feel like it I'll take my machine and reset the TPMS.

P.S I would like to take this system off my car lol
There is a procedure detailed in the Handbook for programming the TPMS senders.

Upon installation of a new TPMS valve the car must remain stationary for 30 minutes then driven continuously for 20 minutes (I think that's the spec) at speeds in excess of 24 km/hr (15 mph) after which all the sender codes will have been read and stored. If this fails you could try it again. The dealer can also manually read and install the codes for a fee.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

There is a procedure detailed in the Handbook for programming the TPMS senders.

Upon installation of a new TPMS valve the car must remain stationary for 30 minutes then driven continuously for 20 minutes (I think that's the spec) at speeds in excess of 24 km/hr (15 mph) after which all the sender codes will have been read and stored. If this fails you could try it again. The dealer can also manually read and install the codes for a fee.
Yes I Know it's 15 minute parked, Then 25 minutes driving at about 25km/h, Then 15 minutes parked again and it Will do the trick ! I guess they didn't Know that at my tire dealers , cause when i went pick my car up I ask them if they had done this and it seem like they didn't
Know what I was talking about !
Anyway I did a reset and follow the steps and Now everything is find !

Old 11-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Default Is there a TPMS warning indicator for each tire?

I have never had an issue with any TPMS system on any of my vehicles, including the XF, but I thought the Jag only has the universal one size fits all warning light, upon which you have to figure out which tire has the issue - at least that's what it seems like the manual says. To say that it's a "dangerous system" seems like hyperbole, as drivers are not supposed to be relying on the system as anything but a back up to common sense, which is to check your pressure frequently. So, it's certainly no more dangerous than the system we've relied on before - which is no system.

Also, I seem to remember a discussion elsewhere about these systems and the fact that they are sensitive to two factors the actual pressure in each tire and whether it differs from the others - so, if your tire is supposed to be 36 psi, but all four are running at 32 psi, the indicator likely won't illuminate. But, if one is at 32 and the other three are 36, it probably would. If there is a significant underinflation issue across the board (ie 6 psi - which really isn't all that noticeable visually on low profile performance radials), the system will also illuminate.

All this said, Jaguar should obviously have spent a few more bucks and had the individually displayed pressures methodology implemented.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguarxfv8
Yes I Know it's 15 minute parked, Then 25 minutes driving at about 25km/h, Then 15 minutes parked again and it Will do the trick ! I guess they didn't Know that at my tire dealers , cause when i went pick my car up I ask them if they had done this and it seem like they didn't
Know what I was talking about !
Anyway I did a reset and follow the steps and Now everything is find !
Just switched to winter tires today. Fitted with OEM spec Ford type TPMS valve stems. The TPMS picked up the new to it senders without difficulty. The warning light did not illuminate.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Jaguar uses TPMS that is wheel location specific. The warning indicates which wheel is low. 6 psi low is certainly visible in the tire shape to anyone with experience. 6 psi low is also very dangerous. I can tell right away if any of my tires drop pressure by more than a couple of psi just from the handling.

Excessive pressure is not monitored and neither is relative pressure between wheels. The TPMS valve stems transmit actual pressure and temperature to the control unit which interprets "fault" or "no fault" .

I stand by my opinion that TPMS as currently mandated by the US government is worse than useless and is in fact dangerous because it fails to warn soon enough.

Canada has not mandated its use. In Canada we must constantly monitor our tire pressures as seasonal temperature variations require constant adjustment of tire pressures up and down to remain safe. TPMS is currently useless for such requirements.

Last edited by jagular; 11-11-2013 at 01:39 PM.
rbobzilla (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 02:29 PM

Jaguar uses TPMS that is wheel location specific. The warning indicates which wheel is low. 6 psi low is certainly visible in the tire shape to anyone with experience. 6 psi low is also very dangerous. I can tell right away if any of my tires drop pressure by more than a couple of psi just from the handling.

Excessive pressure is not monitored and neither is relative pressure between wheels. The TPMS valve stems transmit actual pressure and temperature to the control unit which interprets "fault" or "no fault" .

I stand by my opinion that TPMS as currently mandated by the US government is worse than useless and is in fact dangerous because it fails to warn soon enough.

Canada has not mandated its use. In Canada we must constantly monitor our tire pressures as seasonal temperature variations require constant adjustment of tire pressures up and down to remain safe. TPMS is currently useless for such requirements.
Of course, I fail to see why, but I guess you would say the EU adopted a standard that you would also classify as "dangerous" since the reg requires a fault indicator if pressure is 20% or more below specification - which on a Jaguar, would mean that the spec requires illumination if the pressure is reduced by about 7 psi or more. I've also read that dangerous underinflation under normal driving conditions isn't an issue until at least 10 psi under. Generally speaking, these systems are designed to warn when there is a 10% drop, and I'm well aware of the fact that Jaguar has individual sensors for each tire - I'm just not sure if they also use the rotational speed sensors that are hooked up to ABS and traction control - I think both of which are still in use contemporarily. In any event, certainly less dangerous than no system at all unless you've done exactly what every manufacturer tells you not to - which is rely solely on the system.

As far as the tire specific indication of a problem, all I'm seeing from the manual is the following, which just shows a generic TPMS symbol, so wondering if it changed in the '13s:

tpms.pdf

Though I'm really not trying to get into a quarrel, the Canada argument is specious - most populated areas within Canada don't have significantly greater temperature variation than the northern half of the US, and those temperature variations would bolster the argument for a warning when pressures have been reduced due to temperature drop.

Last edited by rbobzilla; 11-11-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:41 PM

So no warning at all is better than a warning that "fails to warn soon enough"? Hogwash. I think the engineers who designed the system would take issue with your assertion that it is a useless and dangerous system, although I'm sure you know far more about it than they do (at least in your own mind). You may find this hard to believe, but most people who drive these cars are not enthusiasts and they don't bother to look at their tires before they get behind the wheel. I would also venture most would not know the difference if the car was handling differently because of a low tire, thus the system, as installed, is fully adequate for such people, which are in the majority. Could it be better? Most systems can be improved over time; however, there is a cost benefit ratio with every design change and improvement. Just because your opinion is the system is bad does not make it so and it is certainly not "dangerous".

The following 2 users liked this post by VapourTrail:
DPK (11-11-2013), rbobzilla (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

In my 2011 there is the warning light shown by rbob and in addition the display between the gauges shows the individual tire, in the same place and manner as an open door with language indicating which low tire. When I went to take delivery of mine new two years ago the indicator was on for the right rear. The dealer tried to shrug it off as unimportant since inflation was correct and holding but I refused to take it until they replaced the sensor and the warning went away.

rbobzilla (11-12-2013)

Quick Reply: TPMS still not flawless