XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

V8 Oil analysis

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default V8 Oil analysis

Just posted this in the F type area and thought I would get this going here it would be nice to increase the sample size at Blackstone.

For those with the 5.0, have you done an oil analysis yet?

I sent a sample to Blackstone and found out they do not have any averages for the V8 which is surprising considering they are one of the leading oil analysis companies in the US.

I have attached my analysis and I will basically invalidate it due to me not grabbing the sample when I drained so I have no idea where in the drain the sample came from, early or late in the drain can increase the amount of metals and throw off the results.

That being said I will be changing the oil every 7500 miles and will send another sample in for analysis.

If you are near Fort Wayne they accept drop offs that saves the hassle of dealing with the post office to mail used oil.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JAGUAR_XFR-091915 (1).pdf (13.6 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by boiler; 01-10-2016 at 08:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
plums (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 08:54 AM
Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

So what does this tell you? I like the idea of giving data points and all, but I'm not sure what you'd be able to do with the data.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:09 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

I've had this done before on other vehicles, generally the presence of heavy metals indicates engine wear. It definitely helps to have a baseline with other engines of the same type, but if it was me I would do several of these and grab sample at each oil change after varying the mileage intervals. The purpose is to dial in exactly what the proper oil change interval is for your specific car based on whether you are at the end of the oil's life.

I did this back on my old TL-S and found that the factory MID's recommendations for oil changes was almost dead on with how often I should change the oil (I believe that car was 5500 miles). If I drove my car more I would do this but frankly I am hitting the time interval on oil changes before the mileage interval right now so I don't know that it would do much good.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:33 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by n8ertot
So what does this tell you? I like the idea of giving data points and all, but I'm not sure what you'd be able to do with the data.
Oil analysis has great value when performed on fleet vehicles that are constantly on the road. The idea is to take frequent samples from each and create an individual trend line. As the engine wears over tens or hundreds of thousands of miles or the health of the oil declines due to extended change intervals, any unusual changes in the trend can signal the need for an oil change or the need for engine maintenance.

Kinda like a humans getting blood tests tracking cholesterol etc.

Taking random samples at infrequent intervals and not having a base line to compare them to is of little or no value.

The OEM oil change interval is conservative enough to eliminate the possibility of 'wearing out' the oil for 99% of drivers.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Oil analysis has great value when performed on fleet vehicles that are constantly on the road. The idea is to take frequent samples from each and create an individual trend line. As the engine wears over tens or hundreds of thousands of miles or the health of the oil declines due to extended change intervals, any unusual changes in the trend can signal the need for an oil change or the need for engine maintenance.

Kinda like a humans getting blood tests tracking cholesterol etc.

Taking random samples at infrequent intervals and not having a base line to compare them to is of little or no value.

The OEM oil change interval is conservative enough to eliminate the possibility of 'wearing out' the oil for 99% of drivers.
Exactly this one basically tells me nothing mainly because I did not grab it during the middle of the drain and two because if I had grabbed it when I should have it would have been the baseline. Like I said above the next oil change will be at 7,500 miles to see what it looks like and I will adjust accordingly.

It would be nice if more people with the supercharged V8 did some analysis work so we could get an overall average going.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

You could always post your results on bobistheoilguy in the
uoa section and solicit opinions.

With my particular personal, seeing those numbers,
I can skip that particular oil. It would not have been a candidate
in any case.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:54 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Here again to support my thinking that Vacuum extraction doesn't get it all out, as the heavy metals would be settling on the bottom of the pan, where, a drain plug drain would get rid of most of them.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by DPK
Here again to support my thinking that Vacuum extraction doesn't get it all out, as the heavy metals would be settling on the bottom of the pan, where, a drain plug drain would get rid of most of them.
I used the drain plug on this change, and will continue to do so. The previous owner always took it to Jaguar where they most likely used the pump.

DPK (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 06:59 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by boiler
I used the drain plug on this change, and will continue to do so. The previous owner always took it to Jaguar where they most likely used the pump.
Ah-Ha!! Awesome information reaffirming my suspicions. This one time you had it analyzed after you drained it via drain plug..means there were high concentrations on the bottom of the pan and you got them all in the last drain..making the analysis seem heavy on the metal particulates because it never has been drained like that before.

I be willing to bet, next time you drain it and have it checked, it won't be near as bad as this last time.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,135 Likes on 2,310 Posts

That all sounds plausible, but does having a fine layer of heavy metal particles on the bottom of the sump pan really have potential to cause a problem? In other words, do these particles settle and stay down the bottom of the pan and never circulate through the engine, or do they get stirred up and circulate? (PS - I don't have a pump and both oil changes I did on my old XFS I used the drain plug).

Old 01-13-2016, 08:31 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
That all sounds plausible, but does having a fine layer of heavy metal particles on the bottom of the sump pan really have potential to cause a problem? In other words, do these particles settle and stay down the bottom of the pan and never circulate through the engine, or do they get stirred up and circulate? (PS - I don't have a pump and both oil changes I did on my old XFS I used the drain plug).
That's a darn good question and more than likely they do stay put on the bottom...But I have a feeling like you, that to drain it via the pan drain plug is to be safe and not wonder if...

Old 01-13-2016, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The volume of metal particles on the bottom of the pan in a healthy engine is negligible. What is there stays put, so basically is nothing to worry about. Any particles of concern that do become suspended in the oil are caught in the filter before they can do harm.

It's standard practice to take an oil sample shortly after the engine has been run just to make sure that the contents of the system are 'stirred up' and not stratified in any way.

This means the method of extraction is irrelevant.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:11 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Says the usual pesky Mosquito..

Old 01-14-2016, 08:44 AM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

What is there stays put, so basically is nothing to worry about.

to make sure that the contents of the system are 'stirred up' and not stratified in any way.

So do they stay put or get stirred up?

Old 01-14-2016, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by SteveM
So do they stay put or get stirred up?
The really nasty chunks stay put. The less nasty stuff gets caught in the filter. Neither is related to the purpose of oil sampling which looks for three things

1) changing trace levels of engine 'bill of material'

2) contamination from outside sources- coolant, water, fuel, dust

3) chemical deterioration of the oil and it's additives from overheating, short drives, high mileage etc.

Theoretically the oil sitting for a while could stratify slightly, so it's common practice to take samples consistently. The easiest way is to do this is pull a sample right after the engine is shut down and before any fresh oil is added as a top up.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by DPK
Ah-Ha!! Awesome information reaffirming my suspicions. This one time you had it analyzed after you drained it via drain plug..means there were high concentrations on the bottom of the pan and you got them all in the last drain..making the analysis seem heavy on the metal particulates because it never has been drained like that before.

I be willing to bet, next time you drain it and have it checked, it won't be near as bad as this last time.
Just remember I have NO IDEA where that sample was taken during the drain process because I forgot to take the sample while draining so I picked up one of my bottles with the used oil and dropped it off at their shop.

That can make a large difference and can be used either way on this argument.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:22 AM

Just remember I have NO IDEA where that sample was taken during the drain process because I forgot to take the sample while draining so I picked up one of my bottles with the used oil and dropped it off at their shop.

That can make a large difference and can be used either way on this argument.
If the engine had been running within a reasonable period of time prior to the oil being removed, it would make no difference if the sample was the last or the first bit to drain.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:45 PM

If the engine had been running within a reasonable period of time prior to the oil being removed, it would make no difference if the sample was the last or the first bit to drain.
Sure it would if you grab it from the middle of the drain any of the metals that were near the plug would have been drained already. When ever I do my oil I let the car sit for at least 15 minutes so I do not burn myself which would allow some metals to settle to the bottom of the pan.

Again the next analysis will be a much better indication.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:09 PM

Sure it would if you grab it from the middle of the drain any of the metals that were near the plug would have been drained already.
That's not the metal that's suspended in the oil, making it past the filter and circulating through the engine where it might do harm.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:12 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Just to clear up any confusion, this is from Blackstone Labs:
Does it matter if I take my sample at the beginning, middle, or end of the drain? I forgot this time and didn't get the sample till almost all the oil had drained out. Is that why metals went up?

I doesn't really matter. The optimal time is the middle of the drain, but the oil really does a good job holding everything in suspension. We don't suggest the beginning because there might be a little dirt around the drain plug. We don't suggest the end just because you might run out of oil and not have enough to fill the container. But if you catch the beginning or end, it doesn't usually make a difference in wear. Just let us know on the oil slip when you send it in.
Well, when I took the sample this time, I forgot to catch it as it was coming out, so I had to dip my sample out of the drain pan. Is that okay?

Depends. Was the pan mostly clean?

No, it had a bunch of oil in it already from about 15 other oil changes.

Then no, don't send it in. Your sample will be contaminated.

Last edited by WRXtranceformed; 01-16-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Mikey (01-16-2016)