XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Vehicle Chips

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock chips

I drove my usual interstate route and ended up with a cluster of rock chips. The left lane is barricade off due to construction but I have never experienced any issues with the interstate until today. All I heard were rocks bouncing off of the vehicle. It was a terrifying experience. Would anyone recommend filing a complaint? What can I do about the rock chips (they cover the upper and lower parts of the hood, front bumper, near the side power vents, and mirror caps)?

Attached Thumbnails Vehicle Chips-photo.jpg  

Last edited by finalfan7asy; 10-04-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

OWCH.

Don't know how it works over there, but who's rocks were they? etc. etc. etc.

Here in the absence of all the etc; I would have to go through my own insurance.

Why not make a similar post down in the Detailing section, we have some great Pro's who might be able to help you out W/O having to repaint.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to a reputable body shop(asked your Jaguar dealer for recommendation) and see what they say they can do.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I live in Austin, Texas, which is like living in a gravel pit. Trucks/cement trucks and pickups with trailers drive around with impunity dropping rocks, rock chips and gravel everywhere here. The paint shops have a great business.

I tried filing a complaint against a truck that dumped a whole load stuff on me, but because the only witness was traveling with me, my complaint was ignored. I would have had to stop someone on the freeway (where the incident occurred) and ask them to be a witness. Try doing that if you dare. Bottom line is that you have no chance. The police just consider it a hazard of driving in the area, do little to prosecute offenders and the truck companies just laugh at you.

So, unless the rules are different in your state, it seems pointless to even try, unless you want to experience major frustration. It is almost a wast of time owning a decent vehicle in the Austin area. However we do have a superb paint shop here called Berlis which really do a fantastic job. i just wish I did not have to keep going back to them!!

Old 10-05-2011, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

That's a damage well, a clear bra can be good solution but I dunno if it is going to be a cause of lacklustre to the paint in long run

Old 10-05-2011, 06:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
I live in Austin, Texas, which is like living in a gravel pit. Trucks/cement trucks and pickups with trailers drive around with impunity dropping rocks, rock chips and gravel everywhere here. The paint shops have a great business.

I tried filing a complaint against a truck that dumped a whole load stuff on me, but because the only witness was traveling with me, my complaint was ignored. I would have had to stop someone on the freeway (where the incident occurred) and ask them to be a witness. Try doing that if you dare. Bottom line is that you have no chance. The police just consider it a hazard of driving in the area, do little to prosecute offenders and the truck companies just laugh at you.

So, unless the rules are different in your state, it seems pointless to even try, unless you want to experience major frustration. It is almost a wast of time owning a decent vehicle in the Austin area. However we do have a superb paint shop here called Berlis which really do a fantastic job. i just wish I did not have to keep going back to them!!
Hi,

I live in Austin and just bought a new XF. Have you had many rock chips? If so, how far up the hood do they go? I am thinking of getting a clear bra and wondering how much to do beyond the bumper.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 10-05-2011, 07:15 AM

The lower part of the front fascia gets the most damage with the first 6 inches of the hood receiving quite severe chips. I am not sure how you protect the lower fascia as it is quite a complex shape.

The problem is exacerbated by repainting as even good paint shops cannot repaint and get the flexibility in the paint finish that the original factory paint finish has. However they do their best.

BTW it is not just Jaguar paint finishes. I had a MB E500 and a BMW 530i that were just as severely damaged by the Austin gravel pit.The BMW 530i had problems with the hood mostly (must be aerodynamics or luck of the draw) where my metallic black finish was speckled with white chip marks. It was repainted twice in 3 years. The MB E500 had the same problems in the lower fascia as the Jaguar XF.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:13 AM

I spoke with the construction company's claims department and was told to get 2 repair estimates and submit a written statement.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:44 PM

My first repair quote totaled $3000. They told me my bumper, hood, and doors would need to be repaired and painted. They can't disguise the chips with just touchup/buff/detail/wetsand. Does anyone know about repainting and blending? Should I only repaint what's absolutely necessary? I've heard horror stories about repaints and I don't want to be the next story teller.

My next estimate will be from my dealership and I'm curious to see if they recommend the same repairs and cost.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:08 PM

In order to repaint the bumper/lower fascia and touch up the hood it was about $1000. I had a cracked headlight assembly which added $1200 (+ removal and refitting costs) or so to the cost after my car was hit by falling debris from a truck.

If they are doing all the hood and doors, $3000 does not seem excessive. If they are a good shop they will blend if they think they can, but do a complete repaint of the door/hood etc. where necessary. I usually take the advice of the paint shop I use since their results are very good (Berli's in Austin where I live).