XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Seat Removal Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 01:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat Removal Help

I know this may seem like a newb question, but I am stumped! I just picked up my first Jaguar to restore (2010 Jaguar XF Premium). It was a flood car, so lots of electrical stuff to go through.

I need to pull the seats out so I can remove the carpeting. However the motors on the seats are inoperable at this time as there is no power flowing through the car. I can reach the rear seat rail bolts, but not the front ones as the seats are in the full forward position.

I got the shop manual, but it simply says to move the seat with no rundown on how to do so without power! (Lol). Does anyone know how to do this that can offer a new Jaguar owner some advice? Thank you!

Old 09-07-2021, 07:10 PM
Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts

Is the seat stuck & will not move? I am thinking the workaround to this is to remove the lower seat cushion.
Upon looking at the pictures at ebay, there are 2 bolts on each side holding the lower seat. Once that is out, you can have access to the motor.
The seat is for an X250, but I believe the same rule applies to X260. Hope this helps
https://www.ebay.com/itm/26523673467...UAAOSwm6Jg9fFg

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 09-07-2021 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Pixelated
I know this may seem like a newb question, but I am stumped! I just picked up my first Jaguar to restore (2010 Jaguar XF Premium). ....

Welcome to the forums Pixelated,

I've moved your question from X260 (2015 onwards) to X250 (2007 - 2015) forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

On non-memory seats, the operation of the seats is controlled directly from the Driver's Seat Switchpack. On memory seats, the operation of the seat motors is controlled by the Seat Control Module which is located on the underside of the driver's seat frame. Movement usually requires getting a temporary power feed to the appropriate control or directly to the forward/rearward motor.

Graham

Old 09-08-2021, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by 2018XF25T
Is the seat stuck & will not move? I am thinking the workaround to this is to remove the lower seat cushion.
Upon looking at the pictures at ebay, there are 2 bolts on each side holding the lower seat. Once that is out, you can have access to the motor.
The seat is for an X250, but I believe the same rule applies to X260. Hope this helps
https://www.ebay.com/itm/26523673467...UAAOSwm6Jg9fFg
That seems unusually easy for cushion removal. I've never seen one that easy out of all the cars I have reupholstered, but I will check it out this evening! Thanks.

Old 09-08-2021, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forums Pixelated,

I've moved your question from X260 (2015 onwards) to X250 (2007 - 2015) forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

On non-memory seats, the operation of the seats is controlled directly from the Driver's Seat Switchpack. On memory seats, the operation of the seat motors is controlled by the Seat Control Module which is located on the underside of the driver's seat frame. Movement usually requires getting a temporary power feed to the appropriate control or directly to the forward/rearward motor.

Graham
I'm pretty handy with a Power Probe. Do you know where (or which wires) I need to apply power to? I was hoping I could pull something like that off, I just wasn't sure where to begin. Looks like lots of little motors under there.

Old 09-08-2021, 08:29 AM
Received 85 Likes on 79 Posts

There's a seat module that sits on a plastic panel bolted to the underside of the seat. Not sure you can get that panel off with the seat in situ!

Old 09-08-2021, 10:24 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Pixelated
I'm pretty handy with a Power Probe. Do you know where (or which wires) I need to apply power to? I was hoping I could pull something like that off, I just wasn't sure where to begin. Looks like lots of little motors under there.
A number of front seating options are available:
1. 8-way electrically adjustable driver's seat with 8-way electrically adjustable passenger seat.
2. 10-way electrically adjustable driver's seat with 10-way electrically adjustable passenger seat.
3. 16-way electrically adjustable driver's seat with 12-way electrically adjustable passenger seat.

If you confirm which you have, I'll see if I can find the electrical schematic.

Here's the component diagram. The slide motor is Item 7:

There's a lot going on under there and not a lot of space.

Graham

Old 09-08-2021, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
A number of front seating options are available:
1. 8-way electrically adjustable driver's seat with 8-way electrically adjustable passenger seat.
2. 10-way electrically adjustable driver's seat with 10-way electrically adjustable passenger seat.
3. 16-way electrically adjustable driver's seat with 12-way electrically adjustable passenger seat.

If you confirm which you have, I'll see if I can find the electrical schematic.

Here's the component diagram. The slide motor is Item 7:

There's a lot going on under there and not a lot of space.

Graham
GGG,

Thanks for all of the splendid help! I hate to sound so simple, but how do I tell which seat configuration this is? Will there be different controls, or anything printed anywhere? I went out and looked on my lunch break, but I wasn't sure what information to supply you with.

Old 09-08-2021, 01:26 PM

It's down to the seat controls, how many buttons (picture would be best).

The following users liked this post:
GGG (09-08-2021)
Old 09-08-2021, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by John Williams
It's down to the seat controls, how many buttons (picture would be best).

Driver's side seat controls.

Passenger's side seat controls.

Okay. I had suspected that may be the case. I just assumed I was missing something obvious a novice like me was overlooking. Here are some quick photos I snapped for you.

Old 09-12-2021, 02:06 PM

Is there no intended way to move these seats if the motors die? Seems like there should be a failsafe of sorts.

@GGG ?

Last edited by Pixelated; 09-12-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:37 PM
GGG

The only way I can see is:
1. to remove the switchpack and power the forward/rearward motor directly via the harness connector.
OR
2. power the switchpack from the CJB (Central Junction Box) connections.

Graham

Old 12-18-2021, 03:18 PM

I did finally end up getting power restored to my seats. I was able to get the driver's seat out with NO issues. I got the front bolts out of the passenger side, but the seat seems to max out in the forward position before ever exposing the rear bolts. Due to the shape of the rails there is no way for me to move a wrench around in there, plus I've never seen a torx head wrench.

Top is completely enclosed by the rail half on the chair, so socket and rachet seem out of the question too. What do I do in this scenario? Since it seems designed this way, I thought I would find more answers online, but I am coming up empty-handed. Service Manual doesn't seem to say anything about this either.

Old 12-18-2021, 04:48 PM

Sounds like the seat is not getting full travel, maybe something jammed in the rails as the seat should go forward/back enough to expose the bolts!

Old 12-18-2021, 05:12 PM

Thanks, Jeff. I'll inspect closer tomorrow when I have more light. I ran it back and forth a good twenty times. By the time it is full forward the motor just clicks once and doesn't run anymore. I didn't notice anything odd with the tracks on preliminary inspection, but I will give it a closer look as I move it and let you know what I find out.

Old 12-19-2021, 01:55 PM

Had a chance to "play" with this some more during my lunch break. Seat is definitely stopping what seems short coming forward. However, it is a hard stop and after it reaches this point switch just "clicks". Is there a limit switch somewhere under the seat? Feels like it may be getting triggered early if there is. If anyone knows where it is or how to find it I could check that next. Thanks again!

Old 12-29-2021, 12:59 PM

Not sure what else to do. I've sprayed the rails down with WD-40. I've passed some pipe cleaners up and down the rails. I have unplugged the harness and applied direct power to the motor. It just refuses to go any further forward.

I bought a special E-12 ratcheting wrench, still not enough clearance to get on the volt head. I am just stumped at this point. Does anyone have ANY experience with this?

Rai under Passenger side (near door). Seat fully forward, still cannot access bolt.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Intriguing. I've removed the seats, just required an E12 (as you mention) socket with a short extension on a standard ratchet. From memory, the access can be tight, but it definitely looks like your seat isn't moving all the way forward. I have a bunch of wiring diagrams from when I swapped newer seats into my 2010 (tried to attach them but I'm getting a wierd error so maybe the forum doesn't like the PDF format I have) - I note there's no separate limit switches, instead there are "position sensors" built into the motors themselves on the driver's seat to allow for memory setting/recall, although I'd have thought (like you presumably did) that applying power to the motor direct should be enough to override anything like that.

The only other observation I'd have is there's quite a lot of surface rust - I guess to be expected from flood-damage - but I'm wondering if even after your cleaning there's enough somewhere in the mechanism/rails to stop the motor moving (or even something dropped into the rails that shouldn't be there?). I'm guessing that since the passenger seat has no limit switches at all that the motors have an automatic shut-off when they hit a certain torque limit - I assume you've tried to "help the seat along" by pushing it while operating the motor while it's moving? At this point I'd be tempted to be giving the upper rail a bash with a hammer and large screwdriver/chisel while the motor is activated to see if the vibration will help loosen it.

Have you removed the lower cushion for better access?

Last edited by davetibbs; 12-29-2021 at 02:09 PM.
thistle4celtic1 (01-01-2022)
Old 12-29-2021, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Managed to convert the PDFs so the forum would accept them

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
drivers-wiring-10way.pdf (95.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: pdf
passengers-wiring.pdf (80.1 KB, 37 views)
thistle4celtic1 (01-01-2022)
Old 12-31-2021, 11:44 AM

To update, earlier in the thread I was able to restore power. The seat is/was maxing out in the forward position wayyyy too early so I couldn't get to the rear bolts on the passenger seat. I did get the driver seat removed. Also, with everyone's help and guidance I decided to shove a 2' long screwdriver up and down the rails. It got jammed at one point and I just kept ramming it in until it broke through. After this, seat moved fully forward. Thanks to everyone's help, seats and carpet are now out as of today! Water clean-up next!
2010 Jaguar XF Premium Luxury fishing pond installation.

Reaxions (08-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Seat Removal Help