XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Why are there so many issues with sub-par components on these cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 02:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why are there so many issues with sub-par components on these cars?

I bought my XF over other luxury brands thinking Jaguar was one of the nicer brands on the road, but the electrical components and features have been total junk and the forum shows this to be a common theme with this brand. Jaguar must know their parts are junk why dont they fix these known issues?

Old 01-03-2019, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Can you be more specific about the problems you've faced? What year XF do you have?

As a side note, if you think the other marques (especially the Germans) are significantly more reliable, then I have a bridge to sell you.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (07-31-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 04:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

All newer Euro cars no matter the make are much more temperamental than our American, and the Japanese makes. Its just a fact of life. Many designs are more performance driven, than concerned with durability/longevity. Learn as much as you can if you are a do it yourselfer. Make friends with a local Indy shop/mechanic that specializes in your make. My 2003 Mercedes W211 E500 was an electrical nightmare.

Prange (01-04-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

Dude is coming off like a whiny child. His probably bought a used XF that had been flooded.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:20 AM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Expectations, meet reality.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:26 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The Germans are loaded with electrical problems. That's based on my ownership experience with Mercedes and BMW.

I'll never buy a German car again. Over-rated and over-priced if you want anything but their lowest-performance models. And will beat you to death with out-of warrantee maintenance and repairs.

AaronsJag (01-30-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 11:13 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Best car I have ever owned, by far (including several from Germany). There is no junk nor any sub-par components in mine, the thing has been bulletproof for over seven years of delighted ownership.

The following 2 users liked this post by Swimref:
AaronsJag (01-30-2019), Brutal (07-31-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

People often come to tech forums because they have a problem.

So a forum full of problems in a tech forum is normal for any brand.

The XF seems superior in maintenance and reliability related design when compared to a BMW or Mercedes.

The following 4 users liked this post by Tervuren:
AaronsJag (01-30-2019), Brutal (07-31-2019), High Mileage Jaguar (01-17-2019), NBCat (01-09-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 09:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
People often come to tech forums because they have a problem.

So a forum full of problems in a tech forum is normal for any brand.

The XF seems superior in maintenance and reliability related design when compared to a BMW or Mercedes.
Mine made it to 180k before it needed a new engine and various other things. That's pretty damn impressive! And I'm convinced the only reason the engine blew was because the 2nd owner thought it was smart or whomever fixed it for him thought it was smart to try to JB Weld the bottom of the radiator to patch a leak. Of course that resulted in an eventual catastrophic failure. Don't repair something mechanical with a patch...if a person can't afford to fix it right, they shouldn't be driving it.

That's partly the reason I was willing to rebuild mine. 180k miles is pretty freaking reliable!

AaronsJag (01-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 09:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since my 2015 XF turned 50k..... coolant leak - hoses replaced, then water pump went, then oxygen sensor, then battery died and alternator needed replacing and today the check engine light just came on. What's next? My crap toyotas/honda/vws never had these issues. Granted they were not nearly as fun to drive, but I'm not made out of money.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:53 AM

I have a 2010 XF Supercharged w 109,000 miles on it. Car is tuned to 500whp. These cars are made for performance not reliability. Almost every modern Euro I have owned- Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar can be a pain in the *** to maintain. Since a high amount of plastic is used for many of the engine components (i.e. the cooling system) they will deteriorate . My wife's 2005 Volvo S60 was the most reliable car we have ever owned, but not a high performance vehicle.

Last edited by Supercharged81; 07-30-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:00 PM

P2187/P2189 are the codes its throwing today....

Old 07-30-2019, 06:43 PM

Code wise, I ran into a similar issue. It turned out to be the canister purge valve. You are running into a lot of issues for just 50k, makes me wonder how neglected/abused/ damaged the vehicle was before purchase. Get a certified shop to diagnose it. What I do is use the shop to diagnose it, then if I am capable I replace parts myself. Find a good Indy shop. Other than codes, what symptoms if any is the vehicle experiencing? Poor idle, etc???

Last edited by Supercharged81; 07-30-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:25 PM

I am the original owner....babied this car, find a drop of dirt on it or in it and it gets a detailing. Warning light and I'm at the shop the next day. 10k a year only on it. Second set of tires, new brakes/rotors, new battery, a few recalls/warranty fixes (oxygen sensor, waterpump, coolant leak at the Dealer) all other work, oil changes, inspections done by my local indy who works on other jags as well.

The car is running fine. I don't detect anything wrong. It has been high 90's and crazy humidity for the last week or so.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:55 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Beware rant in response. Just read the last line if you want a summary.

Not gonna defend this brand because I can't. I am coming (back) over from Saab which were more bullet proof and overbuilt and over engineered than any other car I have seen. And their performance models were super sleepers (9000 Aero was after than a Ferrari Testarossa of the same vintage (60-100 MPH) My Saab Viggen would hold its own against a 911 any day.

Saying a high performance car is more fragile than a everyday Japanese driver is just plain stoopid. Check out the Acura NSX in performance and reliability, Nissan GTR, Subaru WRX, Mitsubishi EVO all these cars will spank a Jags @ss forever up to 200K miles and can be highly modified without issues. Let's not quibble over blown pistons in Suby's that are tuned poorly, yes that happens we all know that. .

I have had an 1978 XJS V12 (rear main bearing went and new trans needed at 78K miles. 1997 XK8 vert (needed new top motors 37K miles.

My Saabs - I had a 2000 modified to 330 Hp and 360 ft/lbs for 5 years drove it for 120K miles tuned (145 k total) Turbo 900c for 267K miles tuned to 300HP 375 TQ. 2003 Hirsch Saab 243 K miles On the original turbo!! . All of these had normal wear and tear. Thing is you never wanted to use aftermarket parts since the Saab parts were over designed and over built.

Not so for Jag. Just in my few repairs since getting my 2013 XF, I have seen the aftermarket parts FAR superior. I found inferior parts or design on a bucket load of items. Tie rod end with cast seams? Not even ground off? Lemdorfer makes a better part, its a thing of beauty. . Ate brake pads?? Seriously, Saab came stock with Akebono pads. Parking sensor wiring harness made from 22 gauge wire?? Come on really, exposed to elements of course it wore through and corroded in 6 years. Loose bolts on the moonroof,no lock washer or nylock nuts, really, in a Moonroof with water pouring over it? Supercharger coupler failure at 75 K miles? My Saab turbos lasted for 200K miles.

Yes for the faint of heart by a new or CPO car, they will cost and arm and a leg to maintain at the dealer after that and if you buy Jag parts you will be back for the same repair in the same amount of time.

That's why used ones are so effing dirt cheap used, owners that buy new ones get a new one once the warranty is out and dealers can't wait to dump them at an auction or on an unsuspecting used car buyer. ( I knew what I was getting into and they lowered the price 3500 for the problems I found. Dealers love the fools that bring them in for repairs, right after buying them.

Seriously, I got a car listed at $67,000 new for 13,500 6 years old (67K miles) from a Jag dealer. That's 54 k in deprecation right there (~9,000/yr) My $40 K Honda pilot is worth 17,400 trade in that's depreciation of 23K (4k/yr) over the same time period and has never been in the shop for anything other than inspection after the warranty ran out. (oil changes brakes etc done by me) and It has 120K miles...

Oh and really, plastic bits in the Jaguar engine compartment that degrade from heat over 3-6 years? Like that's ok? in whose world?, Yeah my 1987 Saab turn signal switch broke off in my had after 30 years!! and the coolant tank in a turbo car, talk about hot, never split. On and on... Saab cars had plastic piping all over them with no issues and people here say well of course they degrade. Maybe if Jaguar used better quality plastic like the aftermarket suppliers. .

So yes they are junk, but gorgeous, fun to drive and be seen in junk. Not boring or mundane a Honda or Suby or Saab. The interiors have Leather from cattle kept away from brambles so they don't have marks on it, but the engine does not have a oil pressure sender/alert. Go figure.

So get over it. Drive them like a car, Fix them when they break (which will be often) and use high quality aftermarket parts wherever possible. Baby them and replace the far inferior parts before they break, because you know that they are inferior and will break, but don't go saying these cars are great if you can only drive them 4000 miles a year, park them in your garage and lick them clean every week.

Last edited by Jssaab; 07-31-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:09 PM

Wish I had read the warning document that only a mechanic should buy a Jaguar. I guessed in 2015, for 60k you got some quality. Live and learn.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Jssaab
Beware rant in response. Just read the last line if you want a summary.

Not gonna defend this brand because I can't. I am coming (back) over from Saab which were more bullet proof and overbuilt and over engineered than any other car I have seen. And their performance models were super sleepers (9000 Aero was after than a Ferrari Testarossa of the same vintage (60-100 MPH) My Saab Viggen would hold its own against a 911 any day.

Saying a high performance car is more fragile than a everyday Japanese driver is just plain stoopid. Check out the Acura NSX in performance and reliability, Nissan GTR, Subaru WRX, Mitsubishi EVO all these cars will spank a Jags @ss forever up to 200K miles and can be highly modified without issues. Let's not quibble over blown pistons in Suby's that are tuned poorly, yes that happens we all know that. .

I have had an 1978 XJS V12 (rear main bearing went and new trans needed at 78K miles. 1997 XK8 vert (needed new top motors 37K miles.

My Saabs - I had a 2000 modified to 330 Hp and 360 ft/lbs for 5 years drove it for 120K miles tuned (145 k total) Turbo 900c for 267K miles tuned to 300HP 375 TQ. 2003 Hirsch Saab 243 K miles On the original turbo!! . All of these had normal wear and tear. Thing is you never wanted to use aftermarket parts since the Saab parts were over designed and over built.

Not so for Jag. Just in my few repairs since getting my 2013 XF, I have seen the aftermarket parts FAR superior. I found inferior parts or design on a bucket load of items. Tie rod end with cast seams? Not even ground off? Lemdorfer makes a better part, its a thing of beauty. . Ate brake pads?? Seriously, Saab came stock with Akebono pads. Parking sensor wiring harness made from 22 gauge wire?? Come on really, exposed to elements of course it wore through and corroded in 6 years. Loose bolts on the moonroof,no lock washer or nylock nuts, really, in a Moonroof with water pouring over it? Supercharger coupler failure at 75 K miles? My Saab turbos lasted for 200K miles.

Yes for the faint of heart by a new or CPO car, they will cost and arm and a leg to maintain at the dealer after that and if you buy Jag parts you will be back for the same repair in the same amount of time.

That's why used ones are so effing dirt cheap used, owners that buy new ones get a new one once the warranty is out and dealers can't wait to dump them at an auction or on an unsuspecting used car buyer. ( I knew what I was getting into and they lowered the price 3500 for the problems I found. Dealers love the fools that bring them in for repairs, right after buying them.

Seriously, I got a car listed at $67,000 new for 13,500 6 years old (67K miles) from a Jag dealer. That's 54 k in deprecation right there (~9,000/yr) My $40 K Honda pilot is worth 17,400 trade in that's depreciation of 23K (4k/yr) over the same time period and has never been in the shop for anything other than inspection after the warranty ran out. (oil changes brakes etc done by me) and It has 120K miles...

Oh and really, plastic bits in the Jaguar engine compartment that degrade from heat over 3-6 years? Like that's ok? in whose world?, Yeah my 1987 Saab turn signal switch broke off in my had after 30 years!! and the coolant tank in a turbo car, talk about hot, never split. On and on... Saab cars had plastic piping all over them with no issues and people here say well of course they degrade. Maybe if Jaguar used better quality plastic like the aftermarket suppliers. .

So yes they are junk, but gorgeous, fun to drive and be seen in junk. Not boring or mundane a Honda or Suby or Saab. The interiors have Leather from cattle kept away from brambles so they don't have marks on it, but the engine does not have a oil pressure sender/alert. Go figure.

So get over it. Drive them like a car, Fix them when they break (which will be often) and use high quality aftermarket parts wherever possible. Baby them and replace the far inferior parts before they break, because you know that they are inferior and will break, but don't go saying these cars are great if you can only drive them 4000 miles a year, park them in your garage and lick them clean every week.
Ummmmm ok.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:31 AM

That was my first take on the long reply too. He says "Saying a high performance car is more fragile than a everyday Japanese driver is just plain stoopid." and then goes on to point out all the bad parts in the Jag. Isn't that saying this high performance car is more fragile? Not sure the thought process here.

Anyhow, back to my P2187/P2189 codes. I checked the air filters yesterday and they are new/super clean. I added some fuel injector cleaner at my last fill up and I'm watching my mileage, which is still low 20's like it always is. Idle is dead on quiet...needle not bouncing. Is there anything I can visually inspect/see/get to before I bring it in? Recently had a new alternator put in. Could that process have dislodged an air hose somewhere? I cleared the code this morning and the light has not come back on after my 15 mile commute.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by EricinNH
Wish I had read the warning document that only a mechanic should buy a Jaguar. I guessed in 2015, for 60k you got some quality. Live and learn.
Absolutely amazing that it took you this long in life to figure out the hard way that expensive European luxury vehicles aren't as reliable as a Toyota Corolla.

Pat yourself on the back for being so completely unaware of the obvious. It's been, what, like forever that this has been the case. And it's certainly not been any secret.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:10 AM

I've found quite the opposite. Only a rich man can buy cheap stuff since you will be replacing them more frequently. I've had quite a run with my JET, Dewalt, Milwaukee and Freud power tools, my Jenn Air and Bosch household appliances, my Apple computer equipment, my John Deere landscaping equipment. Go cheap and you'll be buying them all over again. It's absolutely amazing to me that a company like JLR can charge what they do with inferior technology. Then again, they might just go under soon....

You do know that Google bought 20,000 Jaguars. Guess they got it all wrong too.

Quick Reply: Why are there so many issues with sub-par components on these cars?