XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Why are there so many issues with sub-par components on these cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

We're not talking about power tools here, we're talking about European luxury cars. We're talking about how the Japanese have pretty much always led reliability for cars since they started importing them here. You are paying for European luxury, not reliability, with an European luxury car. The Japanese stink at producing European luxury, so they stick to reliability.

Do you think that when I bought a Lamborghini that costs $400,000 new that I expected it to be 20 times more reliable than a $20K Toyota Corolla? I would be an absolute idiot to think that, and then go on a public Lamborghini forum to complain that my super expensive car just had a check engine light that should never have happened because the car is so expensive.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 08-02-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:27 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My car lost the water pump, oxygen sensor, alternator, and coolant hoses under 50k. It's a litany of issues, Did your car have all these failures at under 50k? Bet you wouldn't be happy.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:58 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I will say this of all car manufacturers, they are not building cars to last anymore. The manufacturers want them to be disposable, just like cell phones. Buy one, keep it a few years, then dump it. I have spent 2 to 3 grand to maintain/repair my XF Supercharged. Considering I paid only 13,000 for a car that produces 500whp currently, I can't complain. The SRT/Scat Pack Chargers offer similar power levels, but cost over 30 grand. I also believe you shouldn't have to be a rich douchebag to own a badass car, so I am on your side there.

Last edited by Supercharged81; 08-02-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by EricinNH
My car lost the water pump, oxygen sensor, alternator, and coolant hoses under 50k. It's a litany of issues, Did your car have all these failures at under 50k? Bet you wouldn't be happy.
The alternator almost certainly went because you let your battery get tired, but didn't replace it, so I'll put that one on you. Batteries just don't last that long anymore.

I replaced all of the cooling plastic and both water pumps on both my XF's proactively because it's a known weak point on the car, and I am not a whiny baby about these things. All cars have weak points. The water pumps on Toyota V6's are well known to be a weak point on that engine.

So to answer your question, hell no would I be complaining about reliability with the short list of issues you have had on a European luxury car over 5 years.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:33 PM

My battery wearing out destroyed my alternator? And all Jaguar car owners should replace their cooling systems? Not sure these are accurate, but whatever.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:12 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Most car makes are putting plastic everywhere underneath the hood nowadays. Chevy has a plastic intake manifold in the Cruze engine. I heard that some late model BMW's need practically the entire cooling system replaced due to plastic piping.

You can not expect a well equipped luxury performance car to be like an econobox. If you don't mind a spartan interior, cramped dimensions, and low power they make a 3cyl Mitsubishi Mirage. Not much will break because there isn't much to begin with.

The alternator at 50k on the XF could have well been because of a tired battery.

Last edited by AJ16er; 08-02-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:15 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When the car starts costing more than what you feel it is worth it is time to dump it. I ran into a similar dilemma with a Mercedes, so I dumped it.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Alright I must respond.
Who gives a flip if Toyota is more reliable than a Jag? Seriously... Who?
When I look at my driveway I feel good. Would I with a Corolla sitting there? I think Not!
When I drive my Jags I feel good. Would I feel good in a Toyota? I think Not!
When a Toyota pulls into a gas station everybody takes notice. I think Not!
When I'm at the weekly local car shows I see lots of Toyota's. I think Not!
Most who own Jags could care less how reliable any car is when comparing it their Jag.
Nobody buys a Jag because its known for reliability. They buy it because it's a "Jaguar"
Two cars sitting side by side one is a mass produced Toyota and one is a mass produced Jaguar.
Now look at them.
Get over it!

The following 3 users liked this post by 1 of 19:
AJ16er (08-03-2019), jackra_1 (08-04-2019), StuG (08-04-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 01:08 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

OK i feel the need to comment, and maybe clear some things up.
1. You always have the negative people that if something goes wrong with the car, then that brand must be bad.
2.Then these people go on to forums and go, "look at all these problems with Jaguars that people post" Well duh you idiot.
You see the forums are for people who are looking for help on an issue, or suggestions, but this in no ways means that Jaguars are bad. I can go to any forum of any car brand and find issues, and throw a global that that is a bad brand. Give me a break, and get some common sense. Here is an example of a brand that has a problem. (Ford is having major problems with the transmission on many of there cars, mainly the Ford Focus.) Does this mean that Fords are bad, and you should not by one (NO). Every manufacture makes something that just don't work well, and that is why we have warranties.) Most equipment that is made is good and reliable.

So when I see someone make a blanket statement that this brand is bad, just shows me that they are ignorant. Yes some Jaguars have issue, but over time we all learn what they are, and how to deal with them, but the whole brand and that model is not bad. My questions to people who have a jaguar and are not happy with the car, is first of all do you take proper care of the car, (I.E. maintenance when needed, and if you have an issue, do take care of it quickly, or let it get worse. Also what kind of driving o you do with the car, where, how many miles, and so on.

I have owned 4 Jaguars, and the second one was a 04 XJR, and it had the common problem o the air shocks. Not cheap to to fix, but fixable. Also to point out that when people who see these issues on forums, do not take into consideration that when problems are posted, that they did not know how many miles, age,or other factors that contribute to the failure of a part. I mean I put in the shocks and now I am good for another 7+ years or 90,000 miles, so get off your high horse that you now Jaguar is a bad brand. I can go find any car brand, and come up with the same evidence,

The following 3 users liked this post by Luke2004xjr:
1 of 19 (08-05-2019), AJ16er (08-03-2019), StuG (08-04-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 09:20 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Well said, Luke. Nobody ever comes to a forum to announce that his car is running fine. Even though this is much more often the case.

The following users liked this post:
StuG (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 02:47 AM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

I agree with the above, in that most forum users are looking for answers to their problems. It's very rare, if at all that someone begins a post that states, "love this car, no problems". As for sub-par components; yes a lot of parts are now produced in plastic or lightweight metal that would have a much longer longevity if supplied in real steel, but this is a weight savings gain that can be attributed to government fuel economy requirements. The same is true for temporary spare tyres/tires. A full size spare weighs more and has an impact on fuel economy. Those of you who attend track days with your car know how much any additional weight will effect your trap times. I love driving a Jag and just can't see myself in something like a Hyuntotasan Deathtrap XL.

Stu

AJ16er (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 10:44 AM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

To add to StuG comment about plastics in cars for weight savings. This is why they use Carbon Fiber in cars, and several cars now come with Run-Flat tires, so no spare is needed, and even some are making the fuel tank smaller. The car manufactures have to meet fuel mileage specs, and these are the thing that they do. When things like this are done, it can cause other issues, that may make someone unhappy with that brand. Here is an example. Did you know that as great as Run-Flat are, they are more expensive, and last about 15% less mileage than regular tires, but the god side is you can get about 50 miles on a flat Run-Flat, Plus the car will come with a kit to inflate kit to be able to get off the road.

One more thing to point out to the negative people, who complain about the price to service and maintain a high end car, and that is GET OVER IT. You should have done your research and known that the Maintain is not cheap, but if you maintain these care can be mostly problem free, and wonderful to enjoy. If cost is a problem then got buy a low end car for 25,000, and stop coming here to complain. But remember you can buy a lower end can and still have many problems. The point is become an informed consumer.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by EricinNH
My battery wearing out destroyed my alternator?
Perfect example of an uneducated consumer. One thing is for sure in life, being stupid costs a lot of money!

Last edited by lotusespritse; 08-04-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Perfect example of an uneducated consumer. One thing is for sure in life, being stupid costs a lot of money!
You're very quick to criticize. You need to remember that not everyone who uses this forum is as knowledgeable about cars as yourself. Before you criticize someone, you really need to walk a mile in their shoes. At least then you will be a mile away and have their shoes! Chill out.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I started this and will say again Jaguars quality is more crap than any other brand ever in existence this long. I will include Lambo and Ferrari in that since those cars out of the dealer can be driven 24 hrs of Le Mans without an issue, I'd love to see anyone with guts enough to try that with a Jag from a dealer. More likely to fit in the 24h of Le Mons

I'd love to see Jaguar say to "normal consumers " you will go broke fixing the brand but hell you should know better" in thiei marketing and you will see a brand disappear faster than Delorean or Tucker ( most technologically advanced car of its time)

Dude is coming off like a whiny child. His probably bought a used XF that had been flooded.
Absolutely amazing that it took you this long in life to figure out the hard way that expensive European luxury vehicles aren't as reliable as a Toyota Corolla.

Pat yourself on the back for being so completely unaware of the obvious. It's been, what, like forever that this has been the case. And it's certainly not been any secret.
Well jag does a good job at hiding behind JD power awards for that to be said

The alternator almost certainly went because you let your battery get tired, but didn't replace it, so I'll put that one on you. Batteries just don't last that long anymore.
Wow, I have been here actively for a few months and have lost track of the number of times your first comment is to attack a person personally and not the issue that was presented. Probaly ten or more members commented on this thread and I was able to quote from you more 40% of that in personal attacks, good job big guy. Do you feel like a hero for that or something defending the brand? Are you the largest stockholder or head of product quality at Jaguar? (an embarrassing position for that person I bet) Or do you truly enjoy being a bully because it make you feel like a man (just like your fancy cars) - My first comment to you was to call you an @ss now I am sure my personal attacks (which are rare ) complaining about your treatment of others are truly warranted.

Originally Posted by Luke2004xjr
OK i feel the need to comment, and maybe clear some things up.
1. You always have the negative people that if something goes wrong with the car, then that brand must be bad.
2.Then these people go on to forums and go, "look at all these problems with Jaguars that people post" Well duh you idiot.
You see the forums are for people who are looking for help on an issue, or suggestions, but this in no ways means that Jaguars are bad. I can go to any forum of any car brand and find issues, and throw a global that that is a bad brand. Give me a break, and get some common sense. Here is an example of a brand that has a problem. (Ford is having major problems with the transmission on many of there cars, mainly the Ford Focus.) Does this mean that Fords are bad, and you should not by one (NO). Every manufacture makes something that just don't work well, and that is why we have warranties.) Most equipment that is made is good and reliable.

So when I see someone make a blanket statement that this brand is bad, just shows me that they are ignorant. Yes some Jaguars have issue, but over time we all learn what they are, and how to deal with them, but the whole brand and that model is not bad. My questions to people who have a jaguar and are not happy with the car, is first of all do you take proper care of the car, (I.E. maintenance when needed, and if you have an issue, do take care of it quickly, or let it get worse. Also what kind of driving o you do with the car, where, how many miles, and so on.
Getting close to acting like @lotusespritse here, maybe don't let yourself stoop to his level ( i generally refrain from using personal attacks but juvenile comes to mind)

Originally Posted by StuG
You're very quick to criticize. You need to remember that not everyone who uses this forum is as knowledgeable about cars as yourself. Before you criticize someone, you really need to walk a mile in their shoes. At least then you will be a mile away and have their shoes! Chill out.
AGREED !!!

One more thing I have learned about jaguars in the few months I have been here is that some (or maybe many? I have not been here long enough to tell) of the owners can be jerks and actually more of an issue to deal with than the cars are, especially treating new owners seeking help or venting about the issues we all know are common and would not be tolerated by a normal consumers. Yes they buy these cars too (and Jaguar actively markets to them) Jags are not relegated to collectors of performance cars (who could that be) who treat the brand better than their first born. Maybe their mothers did not tell them that if you don't have something nice to day about someone say nothing at all, and they continue to act like a 4 year old.

If you feel that there is a member that adds not value regarding repairs upgrades ect and only attacks other members I suggest you report them. I know I will and I hope that the forum moderators care about decorum and won;t tolerate personal attacks and abusive bullying behavior that adds no value other than to chase members away. I can tell you I am not a "whiny child" with a thin skin so I won;t back down from a personal attack but will defend anyone who is sensitive from unwarranted aggressive bullying behavior

End of (another) rant...

Last edited by Jssaab; 08-05-2019 at 08:59 AM.
EricinNH (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 10:40 AM

3kgtjunkie started this thread and asked why there are so many issues with Jaguar. davetibbs responded with what issues are you having? I guess it was not appropriate for me to chime in agreeing with the original poster and listing my issues that I'm having, so maybe a future buyer would beware. My dealership is covered with JD Power awards. Who knew they are liars?

Then I get berated that I should have changed my battery in month 48 or I'll lose my alternator (I don't remember ever losing an alternator in 35 years of car ownership) and all Jag owners should replace their cooling systems. Why didn't you know to do that idiot?

This forum is dead. Off to find something with useful information.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:40 PM

Totally understandable. Before you go report them. I would be happy to know what forum you end up on, I will join there as well but I will never let a bully push me around..

Old 08-06-2019, 03:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Jssaab
I started this and will say again Jaguars quality is more crap than any other brand ever in existence this long. I will include Lambo and Ferrari in that since those cars out of the dealer can be driven 24 hrs of Le Mans without an issue, I'd love to see anyone with guts enough to try that with a Jag from a dealer. More likely to fit in the 24h of Le Mons

I'd love to see Jaguar say to "normal consumers " you will go broke fixing the brand but hell you should know better" in thiei marketing and you will see a brand disappear faster than Delorean or Tucker ( most technologically advanced car of its time)

Well jag does a good job at hiding behind JD power awards for that to be said

Wow, I have been here actively for a few months and have lost track of the number of times your first comment is to attack a person personally and not the issue that was presented. Probaly ten or more members commented on this thread and I was able to quote from you more 40% of that in personal attacks, good job big guy. Do you feel like a hero for that or something defending the brand? Are you the largest stockholder or head of product quality at Jaguar? (an embarrassing position for that person I bet) Or do you truly enjoy being a bully because it make you feel like a man (just like your fancy cars) - My first comment to you was to call you an @ss now I am sure my personal attacks (which are rare ) complaining about your treatment of others are truly warranted.

Getting close to acting like @lotusespritse here, maybe don't let yourself stoop to his level ( i generally refrain from using personal attacks but juvenile comes to mind)

AGREED !!!

One more thing I have learned about jaguars in the few months I have been here is that some (or maybe many? I have not been here long enough to tell) of the owners can be jerks and actually more of an issue to deal with than the cars are, especially treating new owners seeking help or venting about the issues we all know are common and would not be tolerated by a normal consumers. Yes they buy these cars too (and Jaguar actively markets to them) Jags are not relegated to collectors of performance cars (who could that be) who treat the brand better than their first born. Maybe their mothers did not tell them that if you don't have something nice to day about someone say nothing at all, and they continue to act like a 4 year old.

If you feel that there is a member that adds not value regarding repairs upgrades ect and only attacks other members I suggest you report them. I know I will and I hope that the forum moderators care about decorum and won;t tolerate personal attacks and abusive bullying behavior that adds no value other than to chase members away. I can tell you I am not a "whiny child" with a thin skin so I won;t back down from a personal attack but will defend anyone who is sensitive from unwarranted aggressive bullying behavior

End of (another) rant...
WOW!

Old 08-06-2019, 04:02 AM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I thought this is what the average consumer looked at when considering a brand.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:51 PM

Probably but what does the average consumer think" initial quality" is?

Initial quality is measured by the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100) during the first 90 days of ownership

So yeah jaguar lasts for 90 days before the first problems occur. WAY TO GO !!

J.D. Power 2018 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study

The Vehicle Dependability Study, now in its 29th year, measures the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100)—covering 177 specific problems grouped into eight major vehicle categories—during the past 12 months by original owners of three-year-old vehicles (the 2018 study examines 2015 model-year vehicles).

Lexus, Porsche Top Luxury Car Brands; Buick Leads Mass Market

Hmmm No Jaguar anywhere. Can't even match Kia but I would not hate a Porsche Panamera instead of my XF except I am not a fan of German cars

Maybe instead of feeling GOOD about having a Jag in the driveway we should feel like fools? Well for sure after 3 years, like I said the real Jag owners lease and dump.

Consumer Reports Worst Compact Luxury Sedan

QUICK TAKE

2019 Jaguar XE
Price Range: $36,995 - $187,500

View Pricing Information

RELIABILITY

OWNER SATISFACTION

Here’s how the major car brands stack up in terms of reliability, according to Consumer Reports:
  1. Lexus
  2. Toyota
  3. Mazda
  4. Subaru
  5. Kia
  6. Infiniti
  7. Audi
  8. BMW
  9. Mini
  10. Hyundai
  11. Porsche
  12. Genesis
  13. Acura
  14. Nissan
  15. Honda
  16. Volkswagen
  17. Mercedes-Benz
  18. Ford
  19. Buick
  20. Lincoln
  21. Dodge
  22. Jeep
  23. Chevrolet
  24. Chrysler
  25. GMC
  26. Ram
  27. Tesla
  28. Cadillac
  29. Volvo

Like Waldo, where is Jaguar. Absolutely the worst !!!

Quick Reply: Why are there so many issues with sub-par components on these cars?