XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Wretched TPMS !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Wretched TPMS !!!

OK...I am ready to get rid of this blasted piece of programming. I know there is someone around here that can permanently disable the TPMS module. There are so many threads about this I can;t find the one I need. IF anyone remembers who does this around here...please please send me the info.

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (12-09-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

What's the problem with it? Are you getting errors?

Old 12-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,260 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
OK...I am ready to get rid of this blasted piece of programming. I know there is someone around here that can permanently disable the TPMS module. There are so many threads about this I can;t find the one I need. IF anyone remembers who does this around here...please please send me the info.
Cambo can do it, it did it for me on my old XFR.
But of course he's the width of the Pacific Ocean plus a bit more from you!
You need to find someone reasonably local with the proper SDD program on a stand alone laptop and the proper Mongoose cable, connect it up to the car, then maybe start a Team Viewer session with Cambo so he can remotely reconfigure the CCF to disable the TPMS.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:17 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

I know they can be a pain in the *** but with wheels and rubber as large and low profile as we have, it really is important information to have.

It is very hard to tell if your tire is a few PSI too low and with the power you have stock and want to get to, it can be very dangerous.

I would just get it fixed properly.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member

meh...the cold weather had them throwing false warnings. Happened on my 2011 too!! Its just a pain in the *** and for what???? If a tire blows, the TPMS isn;t going to help you. The system only warns you when there is a leak. I will call AAA if I have a flat. F*&$

Old 12-10-2017, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

That's ignoring the quite common case where it's dangerously low and you may be a hazard to yourself, other car occupants and other road etc users.

Generally these sensors are reliable but like everything not for everyone for ever. When something is faulty, fix it...

It's an expensive car, why mess around.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 445 Likes on 391 Posts

meh...the cold weather had them throwing false warnings. Happened on my 2011 too!! Its just a pain in the *** and for what???? If a tire blows, the TPMS isn;t going to help you. The system only warns you when there is a leak. I will call AAA if I have a flat. F*&$
I feel your pain - these systems seem to be temperamental. But I do think they are important and should be fixable

Question - do you garage park in a garage that is (at least partially) heated? Reason I ask - it's a common issue. You check and set inflation in your garage at say 65F. Then you drive outside to eg. 30F and that 35F difference is a drop of about 4psi. That can trigger the low pressure warning - but then if you drive spiritedly the tires warm up (and pressure increases) and it might then go out. Gives the symptoms of ghost readings

It also means as soon as temps get low in the winter you prob need to add a few psi to the tires. Up here in the north east if you fill correctly on a typical summer day in the 80s then you could be 6-7psi too low when winter kicks in

Could also be the battery in the sensor fading in the cold if it's old, but they are designed to work fine in extreme temps

If they are non-OEM sensors that can be an issue. I put in a set of aftermarket sensors that worked at first then threw irritating intermittent fault errors. I tried everything then eventually swapped them for oem (as my dealer was sure that was the issue) - and sure enough then haven't given a single issue in 2 years now...

Old 12-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

look..heres the thing. I have had blowouts at high speeds on the freeway. Seems to me that controlling the vehicle in those situations is manageable. Putting that aside, situations like that happen so fast the TPMS sensors don't even come into play. The only time the TPMS sensor is of any use is if there is a slow leak. Don't come on here saying I am putting peoples lives at risk. I have been driving for a while. Had plenty of cars with no TPMS sensors. Was I risking peoples lives then? Idiot !!!

Another thing is, I just don;t want the hassle of having the sensors on my vehicle.

Is it "dangerous" to drive with a tire low on air. Hell yes!

Would I know the difference between how my car handles when a tire is low enough to make a noticeable difference in the handling characteristics of my car. Hell Yes !

The XXXXX XXXXXX on the other hand has driven on a flat tire to and from work and thought something was wrong with the steering wheel. Do these things serve a purpose. Yes for someone who has no automotive knowledge. For me..they are a nuisance that plagues my existence and deprives me from a full enjoyable driving experience on a seemingly random basis for no reason other than the fact that a sensor gauges the pressure to be too low at a particular moment and now it will pester me until I pull over to check the air pressure which turns out to be perfectly fine. The sensors are not even a year old since I got new ones on all four corners when I replaced the original wheels and tires with the new Michelin PS 4S tires and Volution wheels last March.

Last edited by GGG; 12-11-2017 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,260 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Gotta agree with Cherry.
IMHO TPMS is only for those numpties who never check the pressure or condition of their tyres, which unfortunately is around 95% of drivers out there.
For those of us who regularly check these things TPMS is a problematic waste of time and way more hassle than it is worth considering how often it plays up.
The only thing it is any use for is a slow leak, which 99% of the time is due to a nail or screw in the tread, which if you examine your tyres regularly is easy to spot and then rectify.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

look..heres the thing. .....
NO - here's the thing.

We can and do have disagreements on the forum but there is never any excuse for offensive comments to other members. I've therefore edited your post.

By all means express your divergent opinions but KEEP IT CIVILISED.

Graham

Old 12-11-2017, 07:43 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
NO - here's the thing.

We can and do have disagreements on the forum but there is never any excuse for offensive comments to other members. I've therefore edited your post.

By all means express your divergent opinions but KEEP IT CIVILISED.

Graham
I realize censorship is much more acceptable in England than in America, but I think you missed your mark on this one. It appears that you removed Cherry's Texas style nickname for his wife/girlfriend ("leggy blonde") who is not a forum member but for some reason left in the much more offensive "Idiot!!!" that does appear to be directed at another forum member.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 561 Posts

Somehow we have gotten away from the main topic. I have had several cars with the TPMS system and my XF is certainly more sensitive.

The weather issues mentioned above are problematic as it was 80F less than a week ago and got down below freezing at night 3 days ago. Today it will hit mid-70's and tomorrow's high is expected in the high 50's. No way to adjust tire pressure every day for those fluctuations.

However, my wife's Japanese SUV has TPMS, as did her recent Honda, and neither had the same TPMS faults as I get with the Jag.

In my case, it could be failing batteries in the sensors, but that will have to wait for new tires I suspect. In the meantime, I share Cherry's frustration with the system.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:22 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm with Cherry on this, the TPMS system in these cars is, and I say this lovingly as as engineer, poorly engineered. Several issues:

1. The set trigger points are too "tight" to accommodate operations across the temp range of normal use, which is about -20 F to 125 F ambient. The low pressure should not trip until around 20 PSI to accommodate this operational range. As someone who lives in the desert where the daily temp swings can often be 60 F I fund this particularly annoying!

2. The system is plagued by failure messages, often intermittent, that are invasive. A system like this should have a user selected disable function via a setup menu and should not involve external diagnostic tools.

3. The lifecycle cost of maintaining the system performing as specified is unsatisfactory when compared to the value it adds. Those who buy '09 XFs on the used market for $10K are not going to spend a thousand bucks on a low-value added subsystem, and are now left with an uber annoying error message

The following users liked this post:
grif_drew (02-16-2019)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Somehow we have gotten away from the main topic. I have had several cars with the TPMS system and my XF is certainly more sensitive.

The weather issues mentioned above are problematic as it was 80F less than a week ago and got down below freezing at night 3 days ago. Today it will hit mid-70's and tomorrow's high is expected in the high 50's. No way to adjust tire pressure every day for those fluctuations.

However, my wife's Japanese SUV has TPMS, as did her recent Honda, and neither had the same TPMS faults as I get with the Jag.

In my case, it could be failing batteries in the sensors, but that will have to wait for new tires I suspect. In the meantime, I share Cherry's frustration with the system.
It's not the batteries, as I have changed wheels and tires in march and have got the TPMS warning message.

I apologize for the rudeness on my part, but being accused of putting my loved ones and other people on the road in danger really got to me...don't know why. I guess he pushed the wrong button.

@Calviroman...right on target with points #1 and #2 !!!

Old 12-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I know I got TPMS messages on my front right wheel, it's a 2012. I bought the car used and the messages started almost immediately driving back on the highway. I kept clearing out the messages. I was pretty much sure that the TPMS battery was going bad as I had let the air out then pumped up the tire to reset it. It kept doing that. When I switched wheels recently I bought all new TPMS sensors and swapped the tires over. The TPMS warnings have not gone on. My guess is that the TPMS batteries were going bad. As a recommendation, when every you replace tires, always buy new TPMS sensors.

Good luck.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

It's not the batteries, as I have changed wheels and tires in march and have got the TPMS warning message.

I apologize for the rudeness on my part, but being accused of putting my loved ones and other people on the road in danger really got to me...don't know why. I guess he pushed the wrong button.

@Calviroman...right on target with points #1 and #2 !!!

lol..yes, I also had new TPMS modules direct from the dealership installed during the wheel/tire change.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 501 Likes on 299 Posts

lol..yes, I also had new TPMS modules direct from the dealership installed during the wheel/tire change.

This post addresses something I was going to add to the discussion, but I'll just toss it into the mix......

4 years ago, when our '09 XF was reduced to "daily driver" status, after the purchase of our '12 XJ-L, I bought a second set of wheels, along with a set of winter tires, for the XF. Of course, I had to also purchase a set of TPMS.

At the time, I was working part-time, at the local Advance Auto Parts store, and bought the TPMS at the store. They were the Dorman brand. Long story short, the Jag computer simply wouldn't "recognize" the aftermarket sensors. I had a discussion with the Dorman regional tech rep, and he admitted that they were "having issues" with their sensors installed in a few of the European cars, and Jaguar was one of them.

He exchanged my sensors for a set of OE sensors.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:05 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

does anyone else get it where the system randomly selects one, two , three or all tires to "check tire pressure", the warning hops around, then flashes to disappear only to start again, then sometimes everything is fine for a while, then it starts up again? It just drives me nuts. The warning flashing on and off, and I can't clear it because the system sees the error "go away" for a moment then flashes it back on.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaeghl
does anyone else get it where the system randomly selects one, two , three or all tires to "check tire pressure", the warning hops around, then flashes to disappear only to start again, then sometimes everything is fine for a while, then it starts up again? It just drives me nuts. The warning flashing on and off, and I can't clear it because the system sees the error "go away" for a moment then flashes it back on.
Yep - I get the same thing. I refer to it as the disco ball effect for now.
The XFR is in storage for the winter, but I did notice it more when it was colder outside. The tires were within a pound or two of spec, so I think either the TPMS sensor batteries are weak, or the TSB needs to be done on the controller.
The other kicker was the battery was almost shot, so I've replaced that. Not sure if that will be a fix until spring comes and the salt is off the roads.
<sigh>

Z

Old 01-03-2018, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member

again...is there a way to turn this blasted function off!!!!!

Quick Reply: Wretched TPMS !!!