XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF 09 - extra beeps when locking vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XF 09 - extra beeps when locking vehicle

Hello all. I'm having an issue with my 09 XF and trying to figure out what it means. After locking my vehicle normally I get two extra short beeps a few seconds after locking the car. Anyone have any idea what it means? I've scoured the owners manual and can't seem to find any information about it. The car does lock normally (I've had it 3 years) but now after every time after it locks (I can press remote twice to get the beep that confirms the car is locked) I get that 2 extra beeps. Its very strange and I can't seem to figure out what it means. Any ideas at all would be helpful. thanks!

The following users liked this post:
winocco (07-12-2013)
Old 05-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Not sure on an XF, but on an S-type the two extra beeps means that the security system is NOT properly armed, usually due to a door left ajar.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I checked that but it does lock normally. On this car when a door is left ajar it does two beeps right away. Mine does is after that by 2-3 seconds when I'm waling away from the car.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Usually it's because the key is still in the vehicle when you are trying to lock the car (with the intelligent key option). My car won't lock when this happens so I'm not sure if it's the same issue. You don't have an extra key in the car right? Does it do it when you lock the vehicle while standing a few feet away from the car? On rare occasions mine thinks the key is still in the car when I'm right next to the vehicle locking it.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Not sure on an XF, but on an S-type the two extra beeps means that the security system is NOT properly armed, usually due to a door left ajar.
+1 Same on the LS.
Check the trunk too to make sure it's latched. Could have accidentally popped it. Sometimes it will remain closed.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:12 PM

Thanks everyone for their replies. Checked truck, no extra key in the car, stepped away from the vehicle when locking. Still doing the same thing. I'm stumped. It just started doing this over the last 4 days and hasn't done anything like this since I've had the car. Any other ideas?? I'd hate to have to take it to the dealership to have it checked out.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the hood switch.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Batteries dying in the Smart key?
or maybe
Trying to lock it when it's already locked?
or maybe
It is locked but the alarm is not armed?

Old 05-23-2012, 02:28 PM

Thanks everyone for the help! I think we've figured it out. It seems the sensor on the trunk is starting to fail intermittently. I will work on having it replace. Thanks again for the ideas and the help. Nice to know all of you are out there!

Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem

2009 XF Supercharged has the same problem, 2 beeps a few seconds after locking. I already had the hood sensor replaced as i had a warning on the dash, but now there is no warning but the 2 beeps are happening intermittently (more and more recently). How do you know the trunk sensor is failing intermittently? Is there any way to check this?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 AM

I don't know for sure yet. I have it in the shop right now getting some light body work done. While its in there they are going to check the truck sensor and try to narrow down what could be causing the extra beeps. I'll let you know what they find out once I get the car back next week.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:22 AM

I just wanted to drop everyone an update. I had the trunk sensor replaced and that did not fix the issue. Its really not an intermittent problem anymore and happens every time I lock the car. The car does lock though and the alarm is set so other that being annoying everything else seems to be okay. Any other ideas from anyone? Thanks.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:37 AM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Have you tried pulling the relevant fuse for ten seconds to reset the door locking system? Could be a SW glitch.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Default found cause I think

I noticed that my rear passenger window was not working and when I unlocked all the doors, sometimes that door did not unlock. It locks OK but I think the power issue with the window/lock may be the problem. I will have it repaired and see if it fixes the issue.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:41 AM
Default Beeps after leaving the car...

I too have the same issue. After locking the doors with a touch of the door switch or the remote, a few seconds later the horn beeps two times. I have checked all of the doors, trunk, and windows. It is occurring more frequently. Also, sometimes the rear doors do not unlock, even when the front ones do. Typical Jag problems.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Any resolution on this?

Old 03-28-2017, 05:59 PM

I have the same issue with my 2010 XF. What I have discovered is my driver door was not locking. So I looked through the window to see if the manual locking mechanism was moving when I pressed the remote. It move but not enough to lock the door. I pressed it a few more times then it gradually moved and locked the door. I will try some penetrating oil to see if that will free it to move in a continuous motion to lock the door.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Default Extra beeps, not disarming or unlocking

My 2013 XF 3.0 recently started with the 2 beeps after arming with the key fob, and I've confirmed that the trunk, hood and all 4 doors are secure. About a week after this started, one day I forgot that I'd armed it, opened the driver's door, and it was unlocked but the alarm still sounded. A few days after THAT, the key fob started failing to disarm the alarm or unlock the doors, after locking them just fine. I could access the trunk, strangely enough but to get in the car I had to use the emergency key, which would activate the alarm. The unlock button on the key fob would then silence the alarm. I've changed the battery in both key fobs, but doubt that was it anyway, since they'd lock the car just fine. Not getting any warning lights on dash, and other electrical stuff works fine (to my knowledge). I tried making sure there wasn't a fob in the car; same behavior. Any suggestions? Thanks
update: I just discovered that the driver's side front door lock switch (on the inside, by the handle) isn't locking when the other doors do with the key fob, but once I get in and shut the door I can lock it manually.

Last edited by mswear75; 10-25-2017 at 09:04 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10-25-2017, 09:08 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

There have been reports of problems in the wiring loom to the trunk lid on some early XF's, supposedly it was too tight and caused chafing a opens/shorts. Perhaps the sensor for the trunk is somehow impacted by the wiring loom issue.... Just a thought!

The following users liked this post:
mswear75 (10-25-2017)
Old 01-01-2018, 10:51 PM

Hi Mswear75, were you able the find out the problem? I am having the same issue. Thank you

Quick Reply: XF 09 - extra beeps when locking vehicle