XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF 3.0 Sport Magnaflow Exhaust with Helmholtz Resonator

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 04:29 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default XF 3.0 Sport Magnaflow Exhaust with Helmholtz Resonator

Hey Everyone,

Recently got Magnaflow mufflers on my XF. I imagined to partially increase exhaust noise while still keeping the everyday drivability. Boy was i wrong! Just after backing out of the exhaust shop i realized, it was drone city inside the car. After playing around with the thought of just getting factory muffler put back on i started looking on forums and found this resonator called Helmholtz Resonator. Its a long tube which can be straight or bent 180 degrees with sole purpose of bouncing around sound waves to cancel the drone while not effecting the exhaust noise. I was skeptical at first but thought since i have come so far might as well try it before deciding if i needed to go back to stock.

Before: Magnaflow setup without the resonators

After: With Helmholtz resonators added (the 2 semi circle tubes)

2 hrs of fabrication later it was moment of truth. I slowly got on to the highway and started cruising and realized the dreadful drone at 2k rpm is now barely even there. I think it took off almost 90% of it, the only time i even hear a little drone is when i have 4 passengers in a car and i am going up the hill. On day to day drive it is super quiet at same rpms where drone existed.

I am super happy with how it turned out and wanted to share my story incase it might be helpful to someone who went non-active exhaust (i regret not taking that route).

Here is a video of how it sounds. Its a little louder than stock (i need that since i rive 60 miles a day) but yet loud enough to enjoy those occasional accelerations.

let me know what you guys think and also if you have any question please send them my way and ill do the best to answer them. I spent 3 painful days of sole research on drone.Just to find out how it occurs and how can i cure it for my car. So if i can be any help, i would love to save you time.

Last edited by gpr_01; 11-03-2017 at 04:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DeviLSh (10-04-2022)
Old 11-06-2017, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up sounds good

Sounds good, where did you get your rear diffuser ? awesome why no X-pipe? Thanks

Old 11-07-2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by cyndav6875
Sounds good, where did you get your rear diffuser ? awesome why no X-pipe? Thanks
Thanks! Since this is 3.0 Sport it comes with the diffuser as standard. I just marginally wanted to increase the sound so did not go with the X pipe but later on i am planning on getting the valve control mufflers and i will get the X pipe then since i will have more control on loudness.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:32 PM

Hey everyone, here is a video of the Jag revving out in the wild to give more perspective of the sound. Sorry for the vertical filming, it was straight out of Snapchat.

VPinGA (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 09:10 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

sounds good! did those resonators change the tone compared to when you just had the magnaflow's on there? Also,are they only cut and welded into one place one the exhaust pipe and the other end just dead ends into the pipe further down stream?

Old 11-29-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by VPinGA
sounds good! did those resonators change the tone compared to when you just had the magnaflow's on there? Also,are they only cut and welded into one place one the exhaust pipe and the other end just dead ends into the pipe further down stream?
The tone did not change much, the drone at 2k rpm went away without any affects to the exhaust note i would say. Yes they are only welded in one place and the other end is capped off, this gives the sound waves someplace to bounce off and cancel.

Not my image but same setup. The longer the tube the more RPM range the drone is eliminated. So if you have a short tube after 2k the drone will be back. if you have something that goes in circles and is long then the whole 2k-6k range or more drone is eliminated.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:51 AM

GPR_01 -- Nice mod! I see you are in Georgia? Are you near Atlanta? If so, who did your work -- I might want to get the same done. Thanks.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by BlueDevilBill
GPR_01 -- Nice mod! I see you are in Georgia? Are you near Atlanta? If so, who did your work -- I might want to get the same done. Thanks.
Thanks! Yes i am in Atlanta, i got it done from Alan at Xtreme Mufflers.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:52 AM
Default Extreme Performance Mufflers?

Thanks. Appreciate the reply. You mean Alan at Extreme Performance Mufflers on Jimmy Carter?

Old 12-27-2017, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by BlueDevilBill
Thanks. Appreciate the reply. You mean Alan at Extreme Performance Mufflers on Jimmy Carter?
Yes thats correct!

Old 02-07-2018, 05:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Any affect on performance after resonators installed?

Old 02-08-2018, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by hendogg8
Any affect on performance after resonators installed?
No, i dont personally see any change in performance with the resonators installed.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:29 AM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default resonator length

did you use the formula to come up with the rez length or just wing it. I have drone from 2k up to 36k it’s extremely annoying and o have to get rid of it.
stock is way too tame... any advice?

b

Old 12-25-2018, 12:24 AM
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bfarrell
did you use the formula to come up with the rez length or just wing it. I have drone from 2k up to 36k it’s extremely annoying and o have to get rid of it.
stock is way too tame... any advice?

b
how long for rez...
i used two pipes one slid into the other and then clamped ...that way the length became adjustable... i was able to tune the note from 2k up to 5k.
the “J” shape was the same as this car.

Paul Fisher (02-12-2019)
Old 10-03-2022, 02:32 PM

Update to my XF Exhaust! One of the welds actually rusted and broke. So now there is a hole in place of one of the Helmholtz resonator. The funny thing is, the car sounds much louder with 0 drone. I am going to get the pipe replaces as i dont want rest of it rusting out, but until then i decided to make a video to show you guys how amazing this 3.0 V6 half-straight-piped sounds.

Enjoy!

The following 2 users liked this post by gpr_01:
DeviLSh (10-04-2022), Paul Fisher (10-05-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 09:43 PM
Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts

I might try this on my x260 with the 3.0. I have the Quicksilver axle back and res-delete, and the drones pretty bad at highway speeds. Was debating just going back to stock (but then its too quiet) ..

Sounds good in the last video, albeit a little raspy at your lighter throttle loads