XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Death - Coolant Leak - Low Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 09:12 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default XF Death - Coolant Leak - Low Coolant

Very sad while driving had the dreaded low coolant message. Didn’t have a safe place to park on the side had 5 min more to drive to my work parking lot.

Did that and parked opened hood and coolant leaked everywhere. Still some coolant in the tank but very low.

Possibly RIP.

Last edited by hen555; 02-26-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:47 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn... hopefully is not completely dead...

Probably/hopefully not dead. The steam could be because of the coolant leak on the engine and not an indication if engine is gone. Don't drive it I'd say, tow it to a mechanic.
Keep us posted please!

Old 02-26-2019, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by mrNewt
Don't drive it I'd say, tow it to a mechanic.
+10000

Old 02-26-2019, 12:25 PM

Towed the vehicle to JLR dealership.

They said they found leak from one of the plastic coolant pipes. They don’t think it’s too bad also because I had some coolant still in the reservoir and I didn’t drive further. They said they get this a lot and also just like you mentioned the smoke likely from the coolant on the hot engine.

They said when they start the engine they will know if it’s OK. I always remember reading on this forums that as soon as you get the low coolant warning then to pull over immediately because it takes seconds to damage the engine. I drove for at least few minutes until it was safe on next exit because I was on the highway.

Last edited by hen555; 02-26-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I will hope for good news for you. The weakness of the cooling systems in these cars is pretty sad, considering the engine itself is pretty solid. I have the 2010 XF Supercharged. Had to get waterpump and cross over pipes replaced. I also don't understand the logic of not putting a actual temp gauge in the instrument cluster. The 5.0 liter Supercharged V8 is so capable and powerful, oh well all vehicles have their faults.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by hen555

Towed the vehicle to JLR dealership.

They said they found leak from one of the plastic coolant pipes. They don’t think it’s too bad also because I had some coolant still in the reservoir and I didn’t drive further. They said they get this a lot and also just like you mentioned the smoke likely from the coolant on the hot engine.

They said when they start the engine they will know if it’s OK. I always remember reading on this forums that as soon as you get the low coolant warning then to pull over immediately because it takes seconds to damage the engine. I drove for at least few minutes until it was safe on next exit because I was on the highway.
I hope all is good with the engine.
While she is there... and if I remember correctly you were saying something about some chain noises (and if you are willing to cash out for the check) ask them to check your timing chains and see if they need replacing.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:57 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>While she is there...
Also, see about the airbag recall.
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 02-26-2019, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,127 Likes on 2,305 Posts

Similar thing happened to me on the F-Type just on a year ago, see this nearby post: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...9/#post2032481
Same as you I still had a fair amount of coolant left in the bottom of the expansion tank, and my engine has run perfectly ever since.
There is a good chance your engine did not overheat much if at all and it will still be OK.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:10 PM

She survived! Phew what a relief. Almost lost the car there because of the plastic hose and me not stopping the car immediately after the low coolant warning.

"Coolant Bleed Hose from the Expansion Tank" was replaced (PN C2Z4547 - Radiator Coolant Recovery Tank Bottle Overflow Hose) . They said it gets brittle over time especially in the cold. This was a cheap component the dealership charged $40 CAD, the coolant/antifreeze costed more at just over 100 CAD (PN JLM209723). They pressurized the system and found no further leaks. They tried to wash the engine to get the coolant off as much as possible but they said they couldn't get everything due to access and I may get some steam and coolant smell for a while. They charged me 1 hour of labour although it took longer than that. Got the car back in the afternoon and went back to work...

Radiator Coolant Recovery Tank Bottle Overflow Hose PN C2Z4547

C2Z4547

if I remember correctly you were saying something about some chain noises (and if you are willing to cash out for the check) ask them to check your timing chains and see if they need replacing.
I showed them the video of the sound - the service manager said it was probably the injectors because of how the sound went away later? - he didnt think it was anything serious because of how I only get the sound at sub zero celsius and how it goes away. The sound on initial startup he thought could be related to the coolant leak (i think mentioning it leaking on a belt). Anyways, he said they would listen for noises during engine startup and look for things...they didn't find / hear anything. I will monitor the startup sound in the next days as expecting some cold weather again. Next oil change I can ask him to check the timing chains to see if they require replacement.

Also, see about the airbag recall.
Thanks, yes this was done for passenger airbag last year.

Same as you I still had a fair amount of coolant left in the bottom of the expansion tank, and my engine has run perfectly ever since.
I think we had the same problem - driving the jag back from the dealership brought joy, car drove better than before...got to work fast passing everyone smoothly.

Last edited by hen555; 02-26-2019 at 08:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hen555:
Leon.... (07-29-2022), mrNewt (02-26-2019), XJ8JR (02-27-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

She survived! Phew what a relief. Almost lost the car there because of the plastic hose and me not stopping the car immediately after the low coolant warning.

"Coolant Bleed Hose from the Expansion Tank" was replaced (PN C2Z4547 - Radiator Coolant Recovery Tank Bottle Overflow Hose) . They said it gets brittle over time especially in the cold. This was a cheap component the dealership charged $40 CAD, the coolant/antifreeze costed more at just over 100 CAD (PN JLM209723). They tried to wash the engine to get the coolant off as much as possible but they said they couldn't get everything due to access and I may get some steam and coolant smell for a while. They charged me 1 hour of labour although it took longer than that. Got the car back in the afternoon and went back to work...

C2Z4547

I showed them the video of the sound - the service manager said it was probably the injectors because of how the sound went away later? - he didnt think it was anything serious because of how I only get the sound at sub zero celsius and how it goes away. The sound on initial startup he thought could be related to the coolant leak (i think mentioning it leaking on a belt). Anyways, he said they would listen for noises during engine startup and look for things...they didn't find / hear anything. I will monitor the startup sound in the next days as expecting some cold weather again. Next oil change I can ask him to check the timing chains to see if they require replacement.

I think we had the same problem - driving the jag back from the dealership brought joy, car drove better than before...got to work fast passing everyone smoothly.
Yep, that is the exact same hose that split on my F-Type. Up by the "top" of the small piece in the pic, right where it joins the main pipe.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:22 PM

"Coolant Bleed Hose from the Expansion Tank" was replaced (PN C2Z4547 - Radiator Coolant Recovery Tank Bottle Overflow Hose) . They said it gets brittle over time especially in the cold. This was a cheap component the dealership charged $40 CAD, the coolant/antifreeze costed more at just over 100 CAD (PN JLM209723). They pressurized the system and found no further leaks. They tried to wash the engine to get the coolant off as much as possible but they said they couldn't get everything due to access and I may get some steam and coolant smell for a while. They charged me 1 hour of labour although it took longer than that. Got the car back in the afternoon and went back to work...

C2Z4547

Great news! I'm happy to hear everything was good... well, as good as it can be in this case .
What dealer was this? Downtown Toronto or Thornhill?

Old 02-27-2019, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, that is the exact same hose that split on my F-Type. Up by the "top" of the small piece in the pic, right where it joins the main pipe.
And on my 10 'XKR as well.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:46 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad to hear the good news. Awesomeness!!!!

Old 02-27-2019, 07:50 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Whew, that was a close one, great news!
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar
Current: '15 XF (X250) Portfolio AWD 3.0 (it's aubergine...)
Past B: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
2015 JCNA Class M Slalom Champion
Past A: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 02-27-2019, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Good news and not too expensive!

Old 02-27-2019, 12:23 PM

Yep, not bad... that's why I would not mind paying a visit to that dealer to see what's what... if he is willing to share their location .

The part is cheap... any other place they sell the thing for around $70CAD (plus tax).

Old 02-27-2019, 08:46 PM

What dealer was this? Downtown Toronto or Thornhill?
Budd’s in Oakville. I only go there now and they have a new facility I think it’s the biggest / newest in Ontario now...maybe even Canada as it was just opened recently. Their old place was really gringy and small but they had the best technicians so I stick with them - and good customer service from my experience.

Also the startup noise is still there so that didn’t fix that issue.

Last edited by hen555; 02-27-2019 at 08:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bfarrell (04-10-2021)
Old 02-27-2019, 08:53 PM

Budd’s in Oakville. I only go there now and they have a new facility I think it’s the biggest / newest in Ontario now...maybe even Canada as it was just opened recently. Their old place was really gringy and small but they had the best technicians so I stick with them - and good customer service from my experience.

Also the startup noise is still there so that didn’t fix that issue.
Darn, a little far from me - I'm in Richmond Hill.
I still believe you need that timing chain done... unless you have some bad bearings on pulleys. Next time you go there ask them to actually check rather than listen for noises .

Thanks!

Old 03-09-2019, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 393 Likes on 289 Posts

is there any write ups on how to do this diy and part number

Old 03-09-2019, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dennis black
is there any write ups on how to do this diy and part number
See post #9 - part number C2Z4547.
In theory it should be an easy DIY but when I tried on my F-Type I couldn't figure out how to undo two of the connections so I gave up on it. There is probably a "knack" that a JLR tech or a savvy mechanic could fill us in on.

Edit - I've now had a closer look at both the new part I have and the repaired one on the car and I reckon I have figured out how to get those two clips/connectors off (the ones on each end of the small tubes). Not hard to do just hard to get at, it looks like one of them you lever each side of the retaining clip open with a small flat blade screwdriver and the other you squeeze together two tangs with some needle nosed pliers to release the retaining clip.

Last edited by OzXFR; 03-09-2019 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: XF Death - Coolant Leak - Low Coolant