XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Gearshift stuck in Park

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 05:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try rocking the car backwards or forwards slightly or jack up one wheel to take of the strain and try again.
Have you had some wheel spinning in the snow because apparently under excessive wheelspin conditions without any real activity from the front wheels, the ABS system thinks something serious has happened and locks the gearbox in 'P' to stop you
driving

Old 01-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

try disconnecting the battery for a min and try it again if it doesn't work the J-drive needs to be replace or reprogramed. get it towed to the dealer right away. just pull the energy handle the get the XF into nuetral. you have warrenty so don't try anything. let the dealer fix it. there is a bullentin on sticking J-drive. there maybe a code in the system too. you don't need warrning light to get codes.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something similar happened to me once but I got a gearbox fault light when going into reverse. I immediately put it back in park. Fiddling for a second I decided to try drive and it released and car moved. Never happened since. I figured it was te not enough pressure of the brake pedal thing.

Question for the techs, do you guys have the VIN range or last manuf. date for the TSB. I have access to all the 09 TSBs from ARRC but can't seem to find that one. Wondering if I should be more worried.

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They had the same issue with the S-type especially if you parked on a slope and selected park, released the foot brake before applying the park brake, if memory serves me correctly you had to jack up the rear end to release tention on the drive shafts.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:38 PM

No slope in my garage. I also always make sure to apply the parking brake first, lift my foot off the brake pedal to let the car rest on the parking brake, then I shift into park to make sure there is absolutely no pressure on the gearbox parking claw.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New rotary selector bulletin

Yes, new bulletin for rotary selector inop. You probably can't find it because it has just been released. It goes as follows: Jaguar will ship to each dealer a new refridgerator to hold the special lube for rotary selector repair. DO NOT put anything in this fridge other than special lube that must remain cold until installed on selector mechanism. We received our fridge 2 weeks ago. Not sure if all dealers have theirs yet but they should by now.

p.s. This is not a joke, this is the bulletin in abbreviated form. Replacement of the selector will not be covered if the dealer has the fridge and lube.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:40 AM

Mine wasn't actually stuck, the rotary selector moved without any hesitation into drive reverse and neutral, the transmission itself didn't move out of park though. I think we're talking abot 2 separate issues here, right?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Default possibly

When it wont come out of park does the selector change gears from park to drive and light the appropriate indicator on the instrument panel?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:44 PM

Yes it did light the R on the selector, didn't notice the info screen in the dash though. The first and only time it did this the info screen lit up yellow with "gearbox fault", I immediately put it back into park, I didn't have time to notice if it was flashing or not. The message immediately went away once in park. Put it once more into neutral then reverse, this time the N and then the R lit up again (both selector and info screen), no flashing, no warning on the dash but the transmission didn't do a thing, revving in place when in reverse. Tried drive and the car moved this time, and it hasn't done anything like it since.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Default Were codes pulled?

And if so what were they as far as transmission or communication codes between ECM and TCM or gear selector?

Old 01-28-2010, 03:05 PM

Sorry. No codes showed up at all on a regular OBDII scanner that can pull transmission codes. CEL did not illuminate. Could this be saved in the history that only IDS or some more advanced scanners could pull? Called the dealer at the time and was told shifter assembly might need replacing, to keep an eye on it, if it does this again bring it in for replacement. So far hasn't done it again.

Last edited by peniole; 01-28-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:25 AM

I dont think a generic scan tool is going to pull codes from the ZF trans module. I would take the car in to dealer and have it checked. If the code or codes do indicate a rotary selector fault it will strand you at some point and have to be towed in to dealer. I would take it in before that happens. I'm actually surprised the function returned after the first fault, not many people including techs can get that selector working again once the codes are set.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:06 AM

Good to know. I'll be making an appointment then. Thanks for your insight and help.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Here's the latest from my Canadian dealer:

Heat for console area we are being told is normal.
Service Action "K048" - XF Transmission Control Switch stuck in Gear, to be
released any day

Old 03-19-2010, 11:38 AM

So had the P0411 code fix installed today (fingers crossed). They also pulled the transmission code I got. It was P1077-77, it had been set and stored, but since then it has never come up again, they cleared it and asked me to let them know if it ever comes up again. I've driven it for quite a bit since it was set (more milleage than was on the car when the fault set) and nothing has happened, I just now make sure to properly press the brake pedal when moving out of park.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 PM
Default Jaguar Xf stuck in park

If your jaguar gets stuck in park try shaking the brake pedal it worked for me and get it checked out.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue

I actually had mine stuck in park. Did eclxactly as u said then it worked. After 3 drives it got stuck in drive. Stuoid i am i turned it off thunking it would start and i could move knob. But so wrong. I eventually got the gear console out. Checked brake switch. No matter how much i studies i couldnt fine it. Lol proceeded to pull lever on interkock switch under the manifold. Did not work either. Read about the mechanish. Insode the gear box that may no longer release lock to turn knob. In the process now to band it ans try again. I habe the 09 jag xf super. Oh and after i fiddled with it i plugged gear module in and it was set to super instead of drive and then after 5 seconds it goes directly to park. But still wont start. Ordered new module. But i will continue to try and fix it without taking it into a shop.

QUOTE=larry123;1482121]If your jaguar gets stuck in park try shaking the brake pedal it worked for me and get it checked out.[/QUOTE]

The following users liked this post:
larry123 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 10:42 PM

Paid 2 grand to get that fixed I will never forget when mines got stuck in park Huntington Beach CA parked at a parking meter eating a In&out Burger stuck in park 😁

Quick Reply: XF Gearshift stuck in Park