XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Going Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF Going Crazy

I recently bought a 2010 XF Supercharged. I have been driving it for about a week now. Everything has been awesome until Friday night. I was going to dinner and out of no where, on the dash display a message saying "Hood Open" and then "Coolant Level Low" started to blink red. So I pulled over and checked the hood. It was closed and the coolant was full. Being that it was a Friday night, I couldn't even get it to service until Monday anyway's, so I kept going. Then last night when I was driving again, when it became dusk and my head lights turned on, only the passenger lamp is lighting up. The driver side has no head light, parking light or turn signal working. I have also noticed since Friday that the car does not want to lock by using the key or the button on the handle. The horn just honks twice. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Sorry for the long post.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:22 AM

Just bought a new 2010 XF premium myself. Can't say I've had any of your issues or any issues at all yet.
Did you say something bad about it within ear shot??? Compare it to a different car? You didn't say it's rear looked fat did you?

JK, Hopefully the dealer can figure something out!
Paul

Old 07-25-2010, 11:49 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! No, I know better with cars than to talk bad to them.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ninja4911
I recently bought a 2010 XF Supercharged. I have I have also noticed since Friday that the car does not want to lock by using the key or the button on the handle. The horn just honks twice. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Sorry for the long post.
Mine honks the horn twice only if the key is not in range.

PS - Nice car

Old 07-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Maybe a battery problem. The hood sometimes doesn't latch firmly enough, try pressing down firmly on the hood directly over the two latch points. The Owner's Manual actually recommends this peculiarly British method of latching the hood. North Americans expect the hood to latch properly if slammed from a foot or so high. My XF does latch properly in this North American way after one incident where it did not latch. I did have to tighten the latch myself just the once as the securing nut worked loose.

Your remaining issues sound like voltage issues which could be the battery or could be a bad ground somewhere. Dealer should be able to trace and fix these issues.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Hey Ninja4911,

Did you get the problem resolved with your girl yet? I had the hood latch problem which I found to be a lose connection with the hood sensor. I'm very careful how I close the doors and hood now. The rest of your problems sound like a bad ground or a bad ECU? Let us know the outcome.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:01 PM

Sorry for the long delay in posting my findings. Well, I took the XF to the dealer and surprise surprise!!! The codes were not blinking on the display anymore. They drove it around a little and NOTHING. So I picked it up and have had no issues since then, early August, UNTIL Friday night. I always leave my headlights on auto and when it became dusk, BAM, hood open alarm, coolant low alarm, driver side head light housing not working, even the turn signal. So now I'm pissed, I cannot figure out what is going on. There is so much stuff jammed under the hood, I don't even know where to begin. I did tighten the two latches a bit. After messing around with it, I got the alarms to stop, but then as soon as I turn the left turn signal on or the headlights on, all the red flashing lights return. I emailed the dealer today and hopefully someone will get back to me tomorrow. I won't be driving the car to much longer this year, since winter is coming and the salt is a killer here in Pittsburgh. So I'm hoping they can fix it once and for all quickly. I don't want to have to deal with it first thing in the spring. I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Diagnostics

The dealer needs to plug in the diagnostic tool where those codes will be revealed and what's causing them. Driving around won't help unless the problem is mechanical.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 PM

That's the problem. The codes were not on when the dealer got it. They thought I was insane. It has now been on for four days now. I am waiting, patiently, for the dealer to call me back for an open appointment. We'll see what happens. With the dealings I have had had with ripping cars apart and rebuilding them, I am sure it is a loose connection somewhere.