XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF SC - Weak Battery ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Default RE: reply to Venumb XF SC - Weak Battery ?

In defense of the dealers of which I work, we used to replace batteries if there was even a doubt, and after a few times run down, a battery will test good. But looses alot of reserve capacity. Jaguar cam out with a Midtronic battery testor, that tests and charges batteries, then gives codes that we have to give Jaguar and only they know what the codes mean. We cant replace a battery if the testoer says its good, so what are we to do....lie. look we WANT to fix your car, but have parameters to work within as well.......The only problem with new cars is we dont know all the issues and fixes yet, with time though we learn what it takes to FIX a problem.........

Old 01-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: reply to Venumb XF SC - Weak Battery ?

i had posted earlier but forgot to provide update. our dealer replaced our battery and commented that there had been a dead cell in the battery. never heard or seen that before and i've owned too many cars, new and old, to mention from buick to porsche and everything in between. as of 2 weeks ago and at 1800 miles when we traded the car it was doing fine and was the only complaint i had with the car. didn't do much to build confidence in car or brand. not the reason we traded of course. but wanted to go back to a mercedes suv. good luck all with the xf. i really enjoyed the car but was my wife's ride. so, she went back to what she really likes.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Default Battery?

My XJ8 has a funny trick, I'll jump in and get a dead battery, click the radio on and off between starting or try the air-con button, then it will start up no trouble. Thinking it was an old battery I bought a brand new one.......exactly the same.
If only I knew what the real problem was, anyone have an idea?

Old 07-09-2011, 05:59 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

A lot of new cars are never truly "off" even if the ignition is off. The BMWs I've had for example needed to be hooked up to battery tenders if left sitting for more than a week or two. It was pretty easy. Just plug the tender into the cigar lighter socket. On the XFR, however, the sockets are switched power sources, so if the ignition is off, the tender has no charging effect. Is there an easy place to hook up a tender on the XFR? Where the heck is the battery anyway?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Question Battery

I keep my battery in the boot/trunk, I thought it must be shorting out in the miles of wires, but when it does kick in it turns over very well, just as a new battery should, it's just funny that I have to turn the radio and air-con on and off a few times first, the battery is not flat or low. It started playing games about 5 months ago and I put it down to age, both battery and me. I wish my car was worth enough money to buy another, I already have the annoying VVT low pressure tapping, just how far can I love my car?

Old 10-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Default Weak Battery in 2 yrs

I Have a 2010 XF Premium (USA) that just turned 2 yrs old with about 22K miles. We went away on 2 week vacation and retuned to find the jag completely dead. Called the dealer and he said the car has a lot of computer stuff and it is not uncommon to have a dead car in 2 weeks. I don't beleive this for a $55000 luxury car.

Anyway I called JAguar assist and they sent a guy to jump start the car. Fellow did not even know where the battery was or how to get to it. He was not able to get the car started with his jumper device.

I tried jumping the car using an older Acura MDX (which started up fine after 2 weeks downtime) and again it failed to turn over the engine. I even tried starting while my wife raced the MDX erngine and it still did not start the car. I finally left it connected for over 10 minutes idling. THen last ditch effort worked.

Is it normal for this to happen? Could there by a fault in the car electrical system or is the battery going bad? I shudder to think what happens when the weather gets colder.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

I call BS on this. My Jag can stay unused for four weeks and start first time with no sign of a bad battery.

There have been reports of the in car entertainment system failing to shut down fully and draining the battery.

Also, how far away from the car do you store the smart key(s)?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey Guys,

I just ran into the following 2008 posting by "Brutal" regarding the ongoing charging system issues.

Originally Posted by Brutal
...The battery module communicates to the ecu monitoring battery voltage and begins to power down accessories to leave you with at least enough power to start the car by totally dirupting power if need be to preserve battery power. The 07 and up XK cant even be worked on to run diagnostics without putting a battery charger on to maintain voltage while reflashing ecus...DO NOT hook up a battery charge to the batteries pos and neg termianal. This bypasses the module on the neg terminal and the ecu has no idea the correct amount of power then that has gone into or out of the battery. When jumping or charging you hook the neg jumper/charger cable to the spare tire hold down...low battery voltage causes all kinds of erroneous computer problem with todays hi tech cars.......
I am wondering if the fact I have the cable from my battery maintainer "hard wired" directly to the battery (and not the chassis as suggested by Brutal) is actually CAUSING my electrical gremlins? I need to put the maintainer on the car for 12+ hours before the "finish" light flashes (unlike my other cars, where the wait is only 3-4 hours) not to mention my latest problem of the center (gas gauge) LCD failing to come on during engine start even after a full day on the battery maintainer with a fairly new battery?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
Hey Guys,

I just ran into the following 2008 posting by "Brutal" regarding the ongoing charging system issues.

I am wondering if the fact I have the cable from my battery maintainer "hard wired" directly to the battery (and not the chassis as suggested by Brutal) is actually CAUSING my electrical gremlins? I need to put the maintainer on the car for 12+ hours before the "finish" light flashes (unlike my other cars, where the wait is only 3-4 hours) not to mention my latest problem of the center (gas gauge) LCD failing to come on during engine start even after a full day on the battery maintainer with a fairly new battery?
You need to NOT have in hardwired to the battery. put it on the other side of the negatice module that is clamped to the negative terminal. This monitors voltage/amps in/out of the battery and by going around this it really does NOT have any idea of the current battery condition. 2 other notes here.
1, there is now a reflash that turns off the radio after 10 minutes, instead of 1 hour previously. and
2, that battery monitor module should always be reset with SDD whenever a battery is replaced for correct operation.
side note on a previous post.."shouldnt have a battery issue on a $55,000 car!" really? I meen the whole fact that the more bells and whistles you have on a car(as well as over 30 computers/modules) it is very taxing on the battery. This after all this isnt a Kia with roll up windows and manual adjusted seats..............

Old 10-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Question

You need to NOT have in hardwired to the battery. put it on the other side of the negatice module that is clamped to the negative terminal. This monitors voltage/amps in/out of the battery and by going around this it really does NOT have any idea of the current battery condition. 2 other notes here.
1, there is now a reflash that turns off the radio after 10 minutes, instead of 1 hour previously. and
2, that battery monitor module should always be reset with SDD whenever a battery is replaced for correct operation.
How does one "reset the battery monitor module with SDD?" just wondering...

Old 10-03-2011, 11:09 AM

Dealer, and just because it "should" doesnt meen it does get done.
but still doesnt change the fact that it is supposed to be reset with a battery replacement. I do it

Old 10-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

My 10 sat in the previous owners garage for a month before I picked it up. (I had the keys so he couldn't even try it) He started it when I was there and he was nervous because it had sat for so long. It fired right up with no hesitation at all.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:21 AM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default question

Actually you should forget about ever running the radio without the engine running as factojag stated. The battery module communicates to the ecu monitoring battey voltage and begins to power down accessories to leave you with at least enough power to start the car by totally dirupting power if need be to preserve battery power. The 07 and up XK cant even work on to run diag without putting a battery charger on to maintain voltage while reflashing ecus. And srmtn dont know about your situation, but I have to remind other that you DO NOT hook up a battery charge to the batteries pos and neg termianal, this bypass the module on the neg terminal and the ecu has no idea the correct amount of power then that has gone into or out of the battery. When jumping or charging you hook the neg jumper/charger cable to the spare tire hold down. And maybe you XF module was not reset properly when new. but havent seen any problems with this system yet, and is very needed since low battery voltage causes all kinds of erroneous computer problem with todays hi tech cars.......

I replace the battery in my xf v8 sc 09, i took the old one out and put the new one right in ! is it ok or do I need to reset something ?

Old 10-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're hypothetically supposed to take it to the dealer so they can reset the battery monitor, like Brutal said. I don't think it's a huge deal, but better safe than sorry right?