XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Tire flys' off the rim*Please Look*

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 357 Likes on 174 Posts
Exclamation XF Tire flys' off the rim*Please Look*

In an nut shell this is what happened today. I was on a local highway when I had a E63 AMG roll up next to me that wanted to play. So I switched to sport and nailed it. Well soon as I nailed it at 75MPH my rear tire flew off the rim and I almost was seriously injured. Please refer to the pix below to see what happened. The odd thing is that I just inspected my tires and tire pressure this weekend as the discusssion in a nother thread talked about uneven wear on the inside.Well my tire wear is even and lots of thread left and tire pressure is spot on. The TPMS light came on soo nas the tire flew off. Is this a defect and can I take action in some way?
I called the dealer and they said there is no warranty on the wheels or tires even though I am covered for 5yr/50k miles?
The tire is the OEM tire that came on the car. It is a Dunlop SP Sport MAXX 255-35-R20 97Y in the rear.I only have 28k miles on the car. I wonder since this is the right rear if when the car squats @ full throttle could the inside be rubbing on the gas tank filler neck on the inner side wall? And to add to it my TPMS sensor flew out also.

Please discuss on what happened or what I can do please.

Last edited by BigCat09; 02-17-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel either you tire was not seated correctly to begin with or you have an uneven rim (wheel). Check both. if all okay check beads in inner lining of rim- this holds the tire to the rim. If that is also ok, it may be a situation where one tire lost pressure and came out at ahigh speeds owing to friction, Replace rim and tire.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:29 AM
Received 6,274 Likes on 5,470 Posts

It looks like the tyre failed to me, as far as I can see both beads are still seated on the rim.
Jaguar may not warranty the tyre but the manufacturer should, I don't think the dealer should just wash his hands either.

Last edited by Norri; 02-18-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Looked for the pics last night, but gave up, can't find 'em. My wife's 05 had a tire fail exactly like that on the right rear. Reportedly in steady-state cruise at 60-70 mph. Not heat related (unless the tire was already low - and with a wife, who knows?) because her commute is only 6 mi or so. Far as I've been told she wasn't playing with any AMG, and anyway, she has a 3.0L! If I recall correctly, the tread was still intact, a complete, unbroken circle, but separated from both sidewalls, which, as pictured above, were still rigidly attached to the beads. Sorry, cannot remember the brand of tire, but it wasn't Dunlop and wasn't a big-name brand, something on the car when we bought it used. No such problems since the Pilot-Sports were fitted.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow! That's Crazy! Glad you got control of your car in time. The dealership you bought it from should have at least helped you with the replacement and offer some advice on the tire warranty. Did the car take any damage?

Stay safe.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

The dealer was useless like always. They said no matter what tires and wheels are not covered by warranty. The only damge is lots of black rubber marks o nthe body and tiny scratches that will buff out most likely..

Would you believe the cheapest I can find the tire is $544 each? Insane.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it was a sudden loss of pressure. Wheel sat on rubber and literally opened the tire up like a tin can. Maybe valve popped out and deflated the wheels.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

There have been a number of reports of failure of the TPMS valve stem. Jaguar warns against use of metal valve caps. If you use metal valve caps there is a serious risk the valve stem will fracture at the point on the stem where the cap ends, the valve body flies out andvthe tire pressure goes to zero extremely quickly as if for a blow out. Even if you use the mandatory plastic valve caps the stems have also been known to fail.

The fact that your TPMS worked but parted company with the wheel leads me to conclude this just happened to you. Ironically, the recent checking of the tire pressure likely was the cause. Some UK XF owners have reported their valve stems snapping when they check tire pressure or try to fill the tire.

Did you have metal valve caps by any chance?

Although the tires are not warranted by Jaguar the TPMS is. There is no way the TPMS should part company with the rim as the valve stem secures it. Is the valve stem still there?

Old 02-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagular
There have been a number of reports of failure of the TPMS valve stem. Jaguar warns against use of metal valve caps. If you use metal valve caps there is a serious risk the valve stem will fracture at the point on the stem where the cap ends, the valve body flies out and the tire pressure goes to zero extremely quickly as if for a blow out. Even if you use the mandatory plastic valve caps the stems have also been known to fail.

The fact that your TPMS worked but parted company with the wheel leads me to conclude this just happened to you. Ironically, the recent checking of the tire pressure likely was the cause. Some UK XF owners have reported their valve stems snapping when they check tire pressure or try to fill the tire.

Did you have metal valve caps by any chance?

Although the tires are not warranted by Jaguar the TPMS is. There is no way the TPMS should part company with the rim as the valve stem secures it. Is the valve stem still there?
If the tire failed due to a manufacturing defect the tire company warranties them separately.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

I have the metal out side screw part of the tpms that shattered like glass and I also have the metal JAG valve cap that still has the core/stem attahced. I have nothing elase but a hole where the TPMS was i nthe rim. Your story is what sounded like what happened. I must have lost pressure and then I nailed the gas and then asecond later the tire shredded.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Where did u get the valve cap? Jaguar uses only plastic caps.

Mind u I don't think Jaguar can prove this metal valve cap thing. I think they are using cheapo Chinese made crapola. There are other stories about these things failing for no reason. I think Ford has a big problem with TPMS valve stem failure they aren't talking about. I have had two ail already with very slow leaks around the stem seal.

One problem with the US deciding all of a sudden we all need these things has lead to some shortcuts and cheap manufacture.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,170 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Where did u get the valve cap? Jaguar uses only plastic caps.

Mind u I don't think Jaguar can prove this metal valve cap thing. I think they are using cheapo Chinese made crapola. There are other stories about these things failing for no reason. I think Ford has a big problem with TPMS valve stem failure they aren't talking about. I have had two ail already with very slow leaks around the stem seal.

One problem with the US deciding all of a sudden we all need these things has lead to some shortcuts and cheap manufacture.
It may be cheap crapola. But, the choice is made by the importer. Chinese manufacturers would be glad to make a valve stem cap worthy of any military contract and comparable to a $10K stainless steel toilet seat. You just have to be willing to pay for it.

All iphones are made in China. Pretty nice piece of crapola widely admired by fanbois. The total labour cost? $8.00.

Don't blame the manufacturer. They are only manufacturing what is specified by the importer at the price point specified by the importer and the bean counters behind them. If they insist on a cost of half a penny, then they have to find a manufacturer that can do it at that price. Since they can't get it done in North America or Europe, they look elsewhere. Globalisation, Greed, Gordon and Gecko all begin with G. If Wall Street were to be renamed Gall Street, the picture would be complete.

As for TPMS, well that is because there isn't an app for that.

But India will have that sorted out soon because Apple has just outsourced their backend software to a couple of Indian software companies.

Last edited by plums; 02-18-2012 at 11:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Need4Spd (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Sorry to hear that tyre glitch , I am glad you didn't get hurt .
I was thinking of changing my wheels in my upcoming ride but it also comes with TPMS and would like to use metal caps too .
I think you can't turn off the tmps warning assuming you don't put these sensors in your tires

Old 02-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Jaguar specifically states no metal valve caps, plastic only. You are correct that the TPMS system cannot be switched off. If the correct compatible sensors are not fitted and properly operating you will have the dash light on and the fault message warning will also be on.

As for Chinese manufacturers just building what is specified I say BS to that. China will not enforce intellectual property laws. You can specify all you want and some Chinese mafia guy will steal the specs and build fakes before the day is done. Those fakes get into the product stream and kill people.

As for Indian software, that is totally different. Indians are well educated in general. Also, software isn't a manufactured item so there should be no issue about the nationality of the human brain that made it. You probably don't want to buy anything important programmed by a Chinese peasant, but not because he's dumb.

As for Apple, they don't let anybody touch their software and the guts of an iPhone are built by machines, probably not in china. Assembly of an iPhone does not compare to the manufacture of its components. It is the manufacture of the physical parts of these TPMS modules that is the problem. The tiny circuit boards are no issue and most likely made by IC board assembly machines not underpaid Chinese labourers managed by crooks.

Last edited by jagular; 02-19-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

It is funny that you guys mention the TPMS sensor. Below you will all that I was able to find o nthe ground after the mishap. Notice it is just the shattered external bolt/shaft of the TPMS and the Valve core still stuck int the shaft along with the "Metal" Jaguar specific Caps! Now knowing what we now lets play back how this happened, maybe this was not a tire defect but rather a TPMS defect and the tire was the final piece to the equation? Please discuss further :

Old 02-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Definitely valve stem failure. Modern tires don't normally deflate rapidly unless the sidewall is slashed by debris. The torque of the XFR is sufficient to rip the carcass off the beads if the tire deflates suddenly. On the other hand how does the valve stem tucked up inside the rim get damaged by the tire coming off? Possible but how likely? Also, if the valve STM is broken by the tire pieces how does the valve core not get bent or pulled out?

Jaguar should want to know how this happened and fix it for you and every Jaguar owner before a US style lawsuit sinks them without a trace. Jaguar could never survive a Ford Explorer tire, Toyota gas pedal or Audi unintended acceleration problem.

Last edited by jagular; 02-19-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

How is the metal cap causing a fracture in the stem, that a plastic cap doesn't? Over tightening? Where do Jag state not to use metal caps?

To the OP, at 28k miles I am guessing your other rear is almost done. I would recommend switching to Michelin Pilot Super Sports - at least as good performance for significantly less money.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

I think it is because the valve stems are aluminum. The metal caps cause corrosion of the aluminum which weakens it. Aluminum is electolytically sacrificial to just about all metals other than zinc.

As far as finding the Jaguar official info I suggest you find it yourself. Google is easy. Besides, why would I care if you don't accept what I write? Go ahead and use metal caps if you want to. I have passed along this information believing it to be reliable. A UK XF site purports to quote direct from a Jaguar TSB.

Last edited by jagular; 02-19-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wouldn't the valve stems have failed regardless once the tire collapsed and the vehicle was in motion? It woudl have been crushed the first time it rolled around to make contact with the pavement?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Valve stem is on the inside of the rim. It won't touch the pavement ever. The only other way it can get damaged (unless the rim breaks) is from flailing tire bits.

Quick Reply: XF Tire flys' off the rim*Please Look*