XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR Charge pump Change/Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
It's definitely different (smaller) than my factory pump was, and no I wouldn't put the old one back in. Blackcoog has done this upgrade to his 2009 4.2L SC.
FYI, I have not done this. I'm not if any 4.2L SC XF guys have. I looked into it but I don't have cooling issues. For a track car this would ideal. Mine is still a daily driver.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 11-03-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
FYI, I have not done this. I'm not if any 4.2L SC XF guys have. I looked into it but I don't have cooling issues. For a track car this would ideal. Mine is still a daily driver.
My bad, I thought you had.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:40 PM
Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Well I fixed my dumb and am now working on trying to get to the other pump. Going from the bottom seems out. I got the skidplate off and I don't really have access to much of anything. I also don't remember being able to see the other pump when I replaced the heater one again, but I wasn't specifically looking for it at the time. I'm pretty worried I'm going to have to remove the radiator and/or fan to get to it, but we'll see.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:57 PM

Well, I definitely don't see another pump under this one (or anywhere near it). Any suggestions? I'm going to take the other airbox out and see if maybe it's on that side.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:24 PM

Nevermind. Looks like I found it. It's on the front of the radiator on the opposite side of the heater pump. You have to get the bumper off, but that was ridiculously easy.

For anybody looking to do it in the future:
Just some bolts on the top, unplug the front parking sensors on the driver's side behind the wheel well guard and the rest pops off (once you have the skidplate underneath removed.

Here's a pic of the pump:

Old 12-29-2016, 06:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed the charge pump today using this excellent DIY. Bigg Wills tutorial walked me through step by step and made it very easy. I bought the gates shrink clamp but just used the original clamp as I was able to get the hose on far enough for it to still work well. Also, luckily my wife and I like wine as it helped with the job. I used a wine cork to plug the upper hose and a rubber wine bottle cap and zip tie to cap the lower radiator outlet and lost very little coolant.

Thanks Bigg Will

Old 02-06-2017, 10:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Anthony,

I'm buying one of these pumps, do you have a link to where I can buy the additional parts, the cable and connector ? That's it right nothing else is needed? I tried searching the part numbers from your pic but can. Find anything ? Thanks again!

Old 02-07-2017, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by webshark
Hey Anthony,

I'm buying one of these pumps, do you have a link to where I can buy the additional parts, the cable and connector ? That's it right nothing else is needed? I tried searching the part numbers from your pic but can. Find anything ? Thanks again!
It's a Mercedes Benz part so any MB dealer can get it for you.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 02-07-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by webshark
Hey Anthony,

http://www.mboemparts.com/oe-mercedes-benz/0005402405

http://www.mboemparts.com/oe-mercedes-benz/2305400081

And you can get the gates clamps on amazon. I bought them but just used the hose clamp.

The lower hose was really on there and I was worried about pulling too hard and cracking the plastic hose connection to the radiator so I bought a new one from jag first and cut off and replaced it.

The following users liked this post:
Reaxions (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

Considering doing this "upgrade," and came across this vid. It's for an MB AMG E55, but it still gives some nice instruction on the pump swap in high def: www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzv5e7nACpw&t=180s

Bigg Will (06-21-2017)
Old 05-08-2018, 05:38 PM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm doing this job on my 2008 XJR and had a question about the MB connector. The MB electrical connector (coupling) referenced here does not fit the plug on the top of the pump. Am I missing something here? The part # is the same as the one I got.

I was under the impression the MB coupling is needed to connect to the top of the Bosch pump with the MB wires then spliced to the Jaguar wires that connected to the old pump.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, I'm used to just swapping out parts never modifying them.

Thank you!

Last edited by hawaiianjag; 05-08-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:30 AM
Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

My pump upgrade from July '17
I can't remember exactly because it was so long ago, but I think I ended up with a connector I didn't need, as the MB wiring was a direct fit to the pump. Maybe this pic can help somewhat?

Last edited by Reaxions; 05-09-2018 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Can't tell if pic is coming through from phone
The following 2 users liked this post by Reaxions:
hawaiianjag (05-12-2018), Panthro (05-18-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hawaiianjag
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm doing this job on my 2008 XJR and had a question about the MB connector. The MB electrical connector (coupling) referenced here does not fit the plug on the top of the pump. Am I missing something here? The part # is the same as the one I got.

I was under the impression the MB coupling is needed to connect to the top of the Bosch pump with the MB wires then spliced to the Jaguar wires that connected to the old pump.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, I'm used to just swapping out parts never modifying them.

Thank you!
Well the MB connector is/was a direct fit for the Bosch 010 pump when I did the swap, so I can't explain the issue your having.

hawaiianjag (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 10:14 AM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Bummer, that's what I suspected.... it seems the MB connector I was given was the wrong one even though it's listed as being the same part # as in this thread. Hopefully the parts monkeys at MB just put the wrong part in the bag

Thanks for the help

Old 05-23-2018, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 09' XF Supercharged and have been dealing with the restricted performance issue for over a year plus. Eight months ago I had a mechanic replace the supercharger pump, or so I thought. A couple months back, I changed the water pump and I found what I thought was the supercharger pump. Now after reviewing this tread, I am sure that I found the heater pump, and pretty sure my local mechanic changed this out, instead of the charger pump, hence why I am still getting the RP and engine code P2601. So, I am ready to change to the '10 Bosch and I think I understand the connector issues but 1.) I am assuming that the previously provided MB part numbers are still valid (i.e. hoping hawaiianjag received mislabeled parts) and 2.) is there any thread out there that discusses the connector issue in more detail. Bigg Will's post are amazingly helpful but just trying to cover all my bases. I have the service manual and have already looked into removing the bumper. Frankly, I am pleasantly surprised as I would have thought it to be more involved process.

Also, anyone out there with a good source to replace the front five spoke (8.5") Volans wheel/rim. I have a previously repaired/cracked/now welded rim that is out of true and my wheel guys say better to replace at this point. Thanks. David

Old 02-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,752 Posts

Can you post any pictures of the connector that you got?
I thought mine was wrong to but its "a bit fiddly" as the UK guys say!
You must disassemble the connector. Push the two female connectors into it inner part then snap all that back into the black plastic outer housing.

Also wanted to post the part number for that heat shrink Gates hose clamp.
It's a Gates Power Grip #32925. Grip range is 15/16"-1-1/16" . Turns out these are common and my local parts store keeps them in stock.

Also got my wires from Pelican parts for a bit cheaper price.

Also found the pump for $98 on EBay.

010 Pump

Robinus (07-27-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Hey guys. I'm doing this upgrade as we type but I'm a bit confused about how to the connect the wires. Big Will said the positive wire needs to connect to the car's wire that has a red stripe. Now, what's confusing me is that one of the old pump's wires also has a red stripe but when you connect to the car connector, the two red striped wires don't meet. So, do I connect the pump positive wire to the wire that will connect to the car red stripe or to the red stripe wire on the old pump connector?

As you can see, I'm still an amateur when it comes to wiring. I just want to make sure I get this done right the first time.

Old 09-01-2020, 06:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I'm a bit confused on this one, too. I'm doing this on my 2015 XF and the pump is way smaller and has 3 wires in the plug.

Anyone done this on a facelift XF?

Old 10-18-2020, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Jaguar xf sc

I have the same problem rightnow in my jaguar. Had a coolant leak and I think it cause my pump to go out cause once the car reaches high temp it goes into restricted performance 😔 so I'm about to purchase this Bosch 010 pump you guys did and replace. Seems self explanatory but anything else I should know?

Old 10-19-2020, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,752 Posts

Yes I got confused on which Jaguar wire was positive. So I cut the plug off and turned the key on then probed the wires with my meter to find which wire was +.
I have had this 010 pump on my 2014 XJR for a year+ with no problems.
Some trimming of the rubber mount will be needed and it's very tight so can be frustrating getting it all back together. But with the front bumper removed you have very good access.

Aarcuda (10-24-2020)

Quick Reply: XFR Charge pump Change/Upgrade