XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR driveshaft flexible coupling replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 04:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default XFR driveshaft flexible coupling replacement

I recently took my 2010 XFR in to the shop to find a coolant leak and have it repaired. After inspection the leak was found behind and under the supercharger and it was decided that dropping the engine would be the easiest way to get to the broken coolant rail and replace it. That was the easy chapter of this post. Once the engine and trans were out of the car the shop noticed that the driveshaft flexible coupling disk was badly damaged and starting to disintegrate (see attached photos). "No big deal" just replace it I said. The problem is you cannot buy just the rubber flexible coupling disk as a separate part. As a side note.... I think the XFR with the 5.0 Supercharged engine uses a different part than the 4.2L XF. The dealership and multiple parts sources did not have the part or would not sell the part by itself either new or used. They require you to buy an entire driveshaft assembly which can cost roughly $1400-$1800. I could not find the part online at ebay or at several other parts sites in the United States. I was ready to give up but decided to have the shop send me photos of the old part and I got a part # off the photo. I then searched again. I found it on a parts site in Australia (http://www.upa-online.com.au/ )....but not a Jaguar parts site. It turns out Holman (General Motors of Australia) made a 6.0 liter car model named a "Commodore SS" that uses the same Driveshaft Flexible Coupling Disk. The part # is GRA 003110. I ordered it ($50 US) and had it expressed shipped to California ($57 US). It arrived a week later and it fit perfectly. I now have my XFR back with no coolant leak and a replaced driveshaft flexible coupling disk.

Attached Thumbnails XFR driveshaft flexible coupling replacement-gra-003110.jpg   XFR driveshaft flexible coupling replacement-gra-003110-.jpg  
The following 7 users liked this post by Silver XFR:
Adam J (10-27-2017), Bigg Will (11-19-2017), davetibbs (10-27-2017), Paul Fisher (11-30-2019), Reaxions (10-26-2019), XJ8JR (07-03-2019), zangonli (10-29-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-27-2017, 06:01 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver XFR
I recently took my 2010 XFR in to the shop to find a coolant leak and have it repaired. After inspection the leak was found behind and under the supercharger and it was decided that dropping the engine would be the easiest way to get to the broken coolant rail and replace it. That was the easy chapter of this post. Once the engine and trans were out of the car the shop noticed that the driveshaft flexible coupling disk was badly damaged and starting to disintegrate (see attached photos). "No big deal" just replace it I said. The problem is you cannot buy just the rubber flexible coupling disk as a separate part. As a side note.... I think the XFR with the 5.0 Supercharged engine uses a different part than the 4.2L XF. The dealership and multiple parts sources did not have the part or would not sell the part by itself either new or used. They require you to buy an entire driveshaft assembly which can cost roughly $1400-$1800. I could not find the part online at ebay or at several other parts sites in the United States. I was ready to give up but decided to have the shop send me photos of the old part and I got a part # off the photo. I then searched again. I found it on a parts site in Australia (http://www.upa-online.com.au/ )....but not a Jaguar parts site. It turns out Holman (General Motors of Australia) made a 6.0 liter car model named a "Commodore SS" that uses the same Driveshaft Flexible Coupling Disk. The part # is GRA 003110. I ordered it ($50 US) and had it expressed shipped to California ($57 US). It arrived a week later and it fit perfectly. I now have my XFR back with no coolant leak and a replaced driveshaft flexible coupling disk.
great to know!!
i'm dealing with preventative parts swapping to avoid that same rear coolant leak right now. Will and Tibbs and Lotus are my life coaches on the matter - lol

Old 10-28-2017, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Well Patrick 813 Has also sourced this part through Alibaba, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-techs-187689/ .
under part #
GAP01-003, And if its a part from the Holden Commadore SS (GM) as you say, well that car is the same as the Chevy SS and Caprice, So I say we should be able to find it under a GM part number.
This seems to be an issue with Supercharged XF's with higher mileage, definitely an up and coming project.
And Silver XFR, please don't tell me they dropped your engine to change out the water crossover on the back of the motor that is easily accessed by removing the Supercharger?

Last edited by Bigg Will; 10-28-2017 at 06:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Reaxions (10-26-2019)
Old 10-28-2017, 02:46 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

It's probably the same donut used on the X150, XF, XJ, S-Type, etc...

They were listed as individual parts for the S-Type, but not for the other models.

The S-Type ones have been bought & fitted to XK's and my XJR, looks identical to the ones in the pictures here.

Probaby cheaper to buy them from Holden of course!

Old 10-29-2017, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
And Silver XFR, please don't tell me they dropped your engine to change out the water crossover on the back of the motor that is easily accessed by removing the Supercharger?
That's subjective even with the supercharger off, those bolts holding the water crossover on are kind of a mare...

Old 11-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just adding to this already informative post.

Jaguar XFR uses ZF transmission code named 8HP70.

The vehicles that share this transmission are: BMW X5M, Jaguar XFR-S, F Type, basically all JLR with V8 5.0 SC engine.

Since X5M is higher torque rated than XFR, it is more than likely that these also share the same flex disc.

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

Part #1. I would recommend using bolts and nuts from BMW though as they will likely be a better fit. Would love to see someone try this out.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ChrisJay
Would love to see someone try this out.

I still have an engine in pieces so I won't be fitting it for a bit but I need a new flexdisc so I can check the fit of this one.

Personally, I think everything using that ZF gearbox is likely using the same size disc of different thicknesses.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver XFR
I recently took my 2010 XFR in to the shop to find a coolant leak and have it repaired. After inspection the leak was found behind and under the supercharger and it was decided that dropping the engine would be the easiest way to get to the broken coolant rail and replace it. That was the easy chapter of this post. Once the engine and trans were out of the car the shop noticed that the driveshaft flexible coupling disk was badly damaged and starting to disintegrate (see attached photos). "No big deal" just replace it I said. The problem oblem is you cannot buy just the rubber flexible coupling disk as a separate part. As a side note.... I think the XFR with the 5.0 Supercharged engine uses a different part than the 4.2L XF. The dealership and multiple parts sources did not have the part or would not sell the part by itself either new or used. They require you to buy an entire driveshaft assembly which can cost roughly $1400-$1800. I could not find the part online at ebay or at several other parts sites in the United States. I was ready to give up but decided to have the shop send me photos of the old part and I got a part # off the photo. I then searched again. I found it on a parts site in Australia (http://www.upa-online.com.au/ )....but not a Jaguar parts site. It turns out Holman (General Motors of Australia) made a 6.0 liter car model named a "Commodore SS" that uses the same Driveshaft Flexible Coupling Disk. The part # is GRA 003110. I ordered it ($50 US) and had it expressed shipped to California ($57 US). It arrived a week later and it fit perfectly. I now have my XFR back with no coolant leak and a replaced driveshaft flexible coupling disk.
God bless you for this post, i experienced the exact issue & thankfully due to your review it helped solve my problem. Attached pic of old & new part

Reaxions (10-26-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Good grief, how did that happen??

TreVoRTasmin (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs
That's subjective even with the supercharger off, those bolts holding the water crossover on are kind of a mare...
I know it's an old thread, but holy rip-off batman! Taking out the whole engine just to remove 4 small bolts on the back of the engine is absolutely craazzzyyyy! Many of us have taken those 4 bolts out without removing the engine. Was it fun? No. But when you think of mountain of extra work, and risks to damage something else, by pulling the engine, it's absolutely asinine to go that route.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the bad flex disc making you guys her a clunking noise when letting off the gas or when getting back on it? I’m asking because that’s what my XFR just started doing and I was told that it sounds like a driveline issue.

I had all of the cooling piping and the water pump replaced recently and they just lifted the supercharger.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Roman85
Was the bad flex disc making you guys her a clunking noise when letting off the gas or when getting back on it? I’m asking because that’s what my XFR just started doing and I was told that it sounds like a driveline issue.

I had all of the cooling piping and the water pump replaced recently and they just lifted the supercharger.
It can be, but usually it's more likely to be a worn rear transmission mount and/or worn engine mounts. They appear to dry out over time.

Old 11-30-2019, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 XFR drive shaft flex joint / coupler

Originally Posted by Yusuf Timm
God bless you for this post, i experienced the exact issue & thankfully due to your review it helped solve my problem. Attached pic of old & new part

I recently, within the last 3 days, started getting a bad vibration in the steering wheel at 40mph. I had it put in the air and found that my flex joint looks just as bad if not worse than the one in the picture above. I finally found the part through 4BLOK by using one of the links in the thread and ordered it from Australia. I’m concerned that it might take a couple weeks to get here and I don’t know if mine will last that long and I don’t want to tear up my transmission or anything else I would rather pay the extra to have one overnighted to me. I plan on doing this in my driveway/garage and I’m looking for advice. Well I have to loosen the exhaust? And will I have to drop the whole drive shaft to replace this part? Or is just Removing the cover, taking out the bolts, and prying it out of there? If there is anybody that has a link to the part in the US that would be an exact fit, please share along with any other advice that you might have for me.
2011 Jaguar XFR

Old 11-30-2019, 03:53 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Old 12-03-2019, 12:35 PM
Default Problem not solved

Originally Posted by Jssaab
I just had the flex joint replaced and although it was visibly worn and needed replacing, it did not fix my issue. At 40mph and up, I’m getting a vibration in the steering wheel that literally feels like it is going to rip the steering wheel out of my hands. It’s bad. Car up on a lift and cannot find any other issues. Any ideas on what to look for would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-03-2019, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Js11xfr
I just had the flex joint replaced and although it was visibly worn and needed replacing, it did not fix my issue. At 40mph and up, I’m getting a vibration in the steering wheel that literally feels like it is going to rip the steering wheel out of my hands. It’s bad. Car up on a lift and cannot find any other issues. Any ideas on what to look for would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance!
The lower control arms are known to go bad, and if they are bad, any imbalance in the rotating mass will be undamped.

I was getting steering wheel vibration and got fed up with balancing and rotating wheels and changing rotors, so I replaced everything at one: new lower control arms, new wheel bearings, and new rotors. Problem solved.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:04 AM
Default Question

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
The lower control arms are known to go bad, and if they are bad, any imbalance in the rotating mass will be undamped.

I was getting steering wheel vibration and got fed up with balancing and rotating wheels and changing rotors, so I replaced everything at one: new lower control arms, new wheel bearings, and new rotors. Problem solved.
the tech showed me that when rolling forward at like 2mph and hitting the brakes, the front tires flex back about an inch and a half and the same when rolling back and hit brakes they flex forward a good bit. Is it supposed to be this way or is this a symptom of the lower control arms going bad as you mentioned? Vibration is only between 40-52mph and turning left or right has little effect. Braking makes the vibration go away.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:03 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Js11xfr
the tech showed me that when rolling forward at like 2mph and hitting the brakes, the front tires flex back about an inch and a half and the same when rolling back and hit brakes they flex forward a good bit. Is it supposed to be this way or is this a symptom of the lower control arms going bad as you mentioned? Vibration is only between 40-52mph and turning left or right has little effect. Braking makes the vibration go away.
Could be the strut mount as well, I don't think you would see that much movement if the lowers are bad, but then I will defer to @lotusespritse about his experience with the lowers

Old 12-04-2019, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jssaab
Could be the strut mount as well, I don't think you would see that much movement if the lowers are bad, but then I will defer to @lotusespritse about his experience with the lowers
That movement is likely the lower control arms. They are critical to position the front suspension.

I replaced them on both my XF’s for $100/pair. Pretty easy to change.