XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

ZZP Pump or Bosch 010 Intercooler pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 08:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ZZP Pump or Bosch 010 Intercooler pump?

In the very near future I'll be upgrading my intercooler pump in my XF SV8(4.2 SC) , and I've seen lots about the Bosch 010 being the go to pump upgrade for any of the supercharged motors.
I found a thread earlier that mentions a ZZP Intercooler pump and I was wondering if there's any difference at all between the 2 of them, aside from colour?

Old 08-01-2022, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,254 Likes on 1,777 Posts

You bring up a good point that there are a number of these after market IC pumps. I went with the Bosch 010 but really don't know if that is any better than the one you posted. Bosch makes a number of different models too that would appear to swap in for our stock pumps.

Old 08-01-2022, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 480 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Remnant1
In the very near future I'll be upgrading my intercooler pump in my XF SV8(4.2 SC) , and I've seen lots about the Bosch 010 being the go to pump upgrade for any of the supercharged motors.
I found a thread earlier that mentions a ZZP Intercooler pump and I was wondering if there's any difference at all between the 2 of them, aside from colour?

they look identical except for the red. The cutouts on the can match. The webbing detail on the pumphead match. Screws. Connector position. All match

it looks to be the same pump with different color pumphead

Old 08-01-2022, 03:40 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Apparently the Bosch 010 pump is rated at 8 gpm and the ZZP pump is rated at 9.25 gpm.

Old 08-01-2022, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by VetteOwner
Apparently the Bosch 010 pump is rated at 8 gpm and the ZZP pump is rated at 9.25 gpm.
So ideally the ZZP pump would be the better option for better cooling?
I haven't seen to much about that pump before so I'm little iffy about purchasing it, more so considering that in majority of threads about cooling have mentioned/recommended the Bosch 010

Old 08-01-2022, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by VetteOwner
so that makes me wonder what they did to increase the flow……. It could be different internal parts or maybe their test method. Got me wondering now.

ok so I took a detour over to zzp and found this: “We have tested the Bosch intercooler pumps used in the GM supercharged 2.0 liter and it performs well. Better than any pump we have ever tested all things considered. Free flow it topped 8GPM with 13.1 volts and pegged our 12GPM gauge at 16 volts. Even restricted by a smaller IC core, it managed almost 5 GPM at 13.5 volts!

It weighs 2.2 pounds, has 3/4″ fittings and draws ~2.7amps at 13.5 volts. Depending on voltage and load it drew 1.8 amps at low and 3.5 amps max. It works with our intercooler pump controller as well.”

Zzperformance pump info

Old 08-01-2022, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

And this “

TECH INFO ON THE STOCK LSJ INTERCOOLER PUMP

MAR 04, 2009The stock coolant pump for the liquid to air intercooler system is made by Bosch. ZZPerformance set out to collect some quick technical information on how this pump behaves in a real world environment. Here is what we came up with:

All things considered, this pump outperforms anything we have ever used or tested. ZZPerformance has tested pumps from Rule, Flojet, Centri-puppy, Jabsco, Shurflo, Central machinery, Meziere, GM, JC whitney, Johnson, Attwood and others. We have been using various Bosch pumps for some time as they are OEM on quite a few cars and are very reliable.

Free flowing the LSJ Bosch pump topped 8GPM with 13.1 volts and pegged our 12GPM gauge at 16+ volts.

When we added the most restrictive part of the LSJ intercooler system to the setup (the intercooler), flow dropped to around 4.5 GPM.

Anything over 4 GPM is good for an intercooler system, however with the flow dropping to 1/2 of what the pump is capable of; we knew there was room for gains. We installed our dual pass end plate on the intake and retested. This increased flow to 6.25 GPM at 13.1 volts, which is very good.

This pump weighs 2.2 pounds, has 3/4″ fittings and draws about 2.7amps at 13.5 volts. Results varied depending on the voltage and load, at low voltage, it drew 1.8 amps and at high voltage, it drew 3.5 amps max. We do not believe there to be a better pump available when weight, current draw, flow and performance are all factored in.

*Update for new Bosch pump info 3-5-09

Shown below is the lower end of a 4 year old pump disassembled. It uses a magnetic drive. This adds reliability by allowing the motor of the unit to become completely separated from the drive. The entire setup is sealed with O-rings. A magnetic drive cannot short out by the impeller getting stuck; only adding to its reliability. The magnetic field strength will increase with raised voltage along with motor rpm. This, in theory, means the pump could output more than the % you raise the voltage by, which explains some of the results we achieved when raising voltage.”

Zzperformance bosch pump info

Old 08-01-2022, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
And this “

TECH INFO ON THE STOCK LSJ INTERCOOLER PUMP

MAR 04, 2009The stock coolant pump for the liquid to air intercooler system is made by Bosch. ZZPerformance set out to collect some quick technical information on how this pump behaves in a real world environment. Here is what we came up with:

All things considered, this pump outperforms anything we have ever used or tested. ZZPerformance has tested pumps from Rule, Flojet, Centri-puppy, Jabsco, Shurflo, Central machinery, Meziere, GM, JC whitney, Johnson, Attwood and others. We have been using various Bosch pumps for some time as they are OEM on quite a few cars and are very reliable.

Free flowing the LSJ Bosch pump topped 8GPM with 13.1 volts and pegged our 12GPM gauge at 16+ volts.

When we added the most restrictive part of the LSJ intercooler system to the setup (the intercooler), flow dropped to around 4.5 GPM.

Anything over 4 GPM is good for an intercooler system, however with the flow dropping to 1/2 of what the pump is capable of; we knew there was room for gains. We installed our dual pass end plate on the intake and retested. This increased flow to 6.25 GPM at 13.1 volts, which is very good.

This pump weighs 2.2 pounds, has 3/4″ fittings and draws about 2.7amps at 13.5 volts. Results varied depending on the voltage and load, at low voltage, it drew 1.8 amps and at high voltage, it drew 3.5 amps max. We do not believe there to be a better pump available when weight, current draw, flow and performance are all factored in.

*Update for new Bosch pump info 3-5-09

Shown below is the lower end of a 4 year old pump disassembled. It uses a magnetic drive. This adds reliability by allowing the motor of the unit to become completely separated from the drive. The entire setup is sealed with O-rings. A magnetic drive cannot short out by the impeller getting stuck; only adding to its reliability. The magnetic field strength will increase with raised voltage along with motor rpm. This, in theory, means the pump could output more than the % you raise the voltage by, which explains some of the results we achieved when raising voltage.”

Zzperformance bosch pump info
That's very interesting, I really appreciate looking through all the info! It's been extremely helpful!
I might purchase the ZZP pump and see how it goes.

Based on the information, it seems like it's a professionally modified version of the original Bosch 010 pump.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,254 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Great info on these pumps! Way more than I have read before. They are a bit of a black box since they are sold without ratings of any kind.
Also Bosch makes several different ones and they must have some differences in output?

Old 08-31-2022, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts

So....the old rad could not be repaired?

Old 09-02-2022, 07:14 PM
Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

I've had the Bosch pump installed for years, trouble-free, and recently considered swapping it out for the ZZP as I'm upgrading all of my cooling, but the minor gpm flow bump didn't seem worth the trouble of replacing it. Plus, no offense to ZZP, which I'm sure is an awesome company, but I trust Bosch OEM more than a modified version (from anyone). However, I am exploring running an additional Bosch pump in series with the my original Bosch, since I'm adding a larger intercooler (replacing the OEM with the larger Allisport), adding a second aux rad, and adding a heat exchanger in the very front.