XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

No ignition lights and car wont start after removal of clock

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default No ignition lights and car wont start after removal of clock

Hi guys' find myself at a loss again. I removed the digital clock to send it for repair put everything back together now the car won't start. ER comes up on the centre console and bleeps, there are sometimes ignition lights and sometimes there is not. Can't understand it i was very careful not to pull any wires but guess i am just lucky. Any ideas?

Old 04-26-2014, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

I think you have two issues here.

The ER and Bleep is from the Heat/AC Control unit self test. I think there is a signal from the clock to the control unit so it is just protesting at that signal being missing as you have removed the clock.

The No Start is a different issue. You haven't explained what you mean - does it turn over and not start or just do nothing - reading between the lines I think it's the latter. Have you checked battery level? Did you have lights on or key in ignition for a long time while you were working on the car? Battery may have discharged.

The following users liked this post:
shawy (04-26-2014)
Old 04-26-2014, 05:04 PM

Hi' thanks for the reply. Sorry about the explanation, yes you are right the car does not turn over. The lights on the dash sometime come on and other times do not, when they are on and i turn the key it just makes a clicking sound that seams to come from the side of the gear selector which does make the noise of a flattened battery. I will try the battery tomorrow. Thanks again. Regards Wayne

Old 04-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by shawy
Hi' thanks for the reply. Sorry about the explanation, yes you are right the car does not turn over. The lights on the dash sometime come on and other times do not, when they are on and i turn the key it just makes a clicking sound that seams to come from the side of the gear selector which does make the noise of a flattened battery. I will try the battery tomorrow. Thanks again. Regards Wayne
Hi Wayne,

Brendan's question about the battery is a good one. Another possibility, if you did not disconnect the negative battery cable while removing the clock, is that something was shorted and a fuse was blown. I'm about to run so I can't look at the schematic right now, but off the top of my head you might check fuses related to AUX circuits, Ignition ON Relay, etc.

It might also be worth jiggling the gear shift lever to ensure that it is fully seated in Park, and if that doesn't work try starting the car in Neutral to see if the Park-Neutral switch is misbehaving.

Cheers,

Don

shawy (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 05:01 AM

Hi again guy's, thanks for the replies. What a fool i am, forgot that before i disconnected the clock that i had replaced some bulbs. Yes you guessed right tested them and forgot that i had left the lights on while i was disconnecting the clock, hence battery dead. Fired her up this morning first turn. Not put all the console back together yet while she runs for a while so fingers crossed that i haven't created any more problems. Thanks again. Oh and does anyone know where to get a replacement head lining , mine has the normal old woman problem of sagging.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Oh and does anyone know where to get a replacement head lining , mine has the normal old woman problem of sagging.
Somewhere other than here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-liner-111847/
It's reportedly not a bad DIY. I planned to do mine last summer but only got as far as cutting a small sample out (from pax side near overhead console, so I can't see it from driver's seat) and sent off to a supplier for color match. By the time I got a response, they had shut down for a month or so to move to a new shop, then I got otherwise busy. Still plan to do it, hopefully within the next month or so, and will post pics. Meanwhile, there is a nice how-to on an X308 on one of the headliner-material-supplier's websites. Have lost the link currently, but have posted it several times in the past.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:54 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Yes you guessed right tested them and forgot that i had left the lights on while i was disconnecting the clock, hence battery dead. Fired her up this morning first turn. Not put all the console back together yet while she runs for a while so fingers crossed that i haven't created any more problems.
Shawy, congrats on figuring it out, and well done Brendan for recommending Shawy check the battery!

Oh and does anyone know where to get a replacement head lining , mine has the normal old woman problem of sagging.
I did the headliner on our '93 and need to do it on our '04. It's definitely a job you can do yourself if you're willing. On our '93 it was necessary to remove the center console and the front passenger door interior trim (neither is as hard as it sounds). The most tense moments were folding the headliner into a "Taco" shape to withdraw it through the front passenger door. I did the job by myself, so I couldn't take photos of the removal process, but I did take photos showing how to recover the headliner board once you have it out. I purchased the foam-backed headliner fabric at a local JoAnn Fabrics store, two yards for $17 (they have frequent 1/2-off sales, and the regular price is $17 per yard). I don't know if you have fabric stores that would carry headliner fabric, but any automotive trim shop should be able to source the fabric for you. For adhesive, you want to use a high-temperature high-strength spray adhesive recommended by the manufacturer for headliner installation. 3M, Permatex and others make suitable spray adhesives. I can look up more of the specifics if you decide to do the job yourself.

Cheers,

Don

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

shawy (04-28-2014)