XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2003 XJR Audible Alarms for.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2003 XJR Audible Alarms for.....

Hi everyone, my first post.
I've used the "search" tab but haven't found an answer to these questions.
1)The audible alarm for my "Turn Signals"and "Open Door" with key still in the ignition switch doesn't sound anymore.
Where is this alarm? And in your opinion what's wrong and how to fix it myself.
2) The Reverse back up sensor Alarm sounds once when the gear selector is place in R, then stops sounding. No sound as rear bumper closes in on an object. The system worked fine when I purchased the car several years ago.

Thanks guys for your help and I look forward to meeting some of u a a local GTG in the future.
Cheers!

Old 02-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

The x300's used a small speaker inside the steering column -- very easy to get to as all you had to do is remove the lower cover. I believe the x308 uses the same system -- although the sound is different.

I have an x308 but I have never had any problems with the "sounder" but I replaced the one in my x300 with a small speaker from Radio Shack. I was not able to get the exact ohm or size -- went with a slightly smaller speaker and an ohm that I was told on an electronic board would work -- I forget now if you want to go higher or lower. Speaker was less than $5. The OE replacement module was not all that expensive at something like $50.00 -- but it was backordered - so I fixed it myself.

I do not know what makes the back up sound -- I will take a listen next time I drive it.

I was not clear above: The speaker in the steering column is very small and it was common for it to burn out -- you can not tell it is defective just by looking at it. I had a small speaker in my workshop so I was able to attach it to the module to test if the module was OK -- Then I went and purchased a speaker that was small enough to fit. The speaker is the size of a quarter!

Last edited by yeldogt; 02-08-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: add info
The following users liked this post:
dsetter (03-01-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,057 Posts

the reverse warning sounder is a small speaker under the rear parcel shelf cover. You may have faulty detectors on the bumper....I think they click if they fail?? Someone might know more, never had them fail on me.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks guys for your help. It's to COLD outside to take a look at fixing those issues today. The weather around here should warm up next week.
I'll give it a shot then.
Looks like this is going to become one of my new favorite places on the Web.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED.. at least the turn signal auditable alarm issue.
Damn the cold.. turned on the heater and replaced the speaker.
Found an old stereo speaker tucked in the back of a closet.
Before I took it out of it's housing I connected the leads to the leads in the car.
Oh yeah baby.. stereo turn signals.. LOL!!!!

Love this place!!!!
Thanks for your help.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

Good job

Old 02-10-2011, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Thanks for the update, lovely to hear it's fixed
Have many happy driving

Old 02-10-2011, 05:29 AM
Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
the reverse warning sounder is a small speaker under the rear parcel shelf cover. You may have faulty detectors on the bumper....I think they click if they fail?? Someone might know more, never had them fail on me.
Are you sure about the reverse sounder?
The beeping in my 99 XJ8 comes somewhere from the front left of the car.
Definitely not from the parcel shelf in the back.

David

Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by DavidN
Are you sure about the reverse sounder?
The beeping in my 99 XJ8 comes somewhere from the front left of the car.
Definitely not from the parcel shelf in the back.

David

Reverse issue not fixed just yet.

I still get the 6 to 8 sec fault sound when I place the shifter in R. I'll get my ear close to the bumper for a listen next week when the temp really does warm up. Right now I'm afraid my ear would stick to the sensors like a wet tongue to cold metal pole.. :-)

The turn signal sounder/speaker is in the steering colum. I replaced the speaker to fix that problem.

My R sounder seems to come from the passenger side rear deck. It's fine... I'm sure I have a sensor issue.

Last winter I hit my sensors with a high pressure washer while I was blasting off the salt. I'm sure that's what killed it.

I've lived without it for a year... but I'm bored and want to fix those little things that mean a lot.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
The x300's used a small speaker inside the steering column -- very easy to get to as all you had to do is remove the lower cover. I believe the x308 uses the same system -- although the sound is different.

I have an x308 but I have never had any problems with the "sounder" but I replaced the one in my x300 with a small speaker from Radio Shack. I was not able to get the exact ohm or size -- went with a slightly smaller speaker and an ohm that I was told on an electronic board would work -- I forget now if you want to go higher or lower. Speaker was less than $5. The OE replacement module was not all that expensive at something like $50.00 -- but it was backordered - so I fixed it myself.

I do not know what makes the back up sound -- I will take a listen next time I drive it.

I was not clear above: The speaker in the steering column is very small and it was common for it to burn out -- you can not tell it is defective just by looking at it. I had a small speaker in my workshop so I was able to attach it to the module to test if the module was OK -- Then I went and purchased a speaker that was small enough to fit. The speaker is the size of a quarter!
Have to thank you again for this. I had read the post but mine was working fine. Not long after and it went intermittent and then went silent. Changed it out to a 1" from Radio shack - was all they had and it works better than before.

Moral of the story: Do not go reading posts about things that are not broken, it may make them that way.

Old 07-16-2022, 02:46 PM
jry
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny.... Mine just started to sound sick, then died, then went intermittent. My formal training is in Electricity and Electronics. It's odd that a simple speaker would go intermittent.... I'm thinking it's just a loose wire OR the actual synth or amp that makes the sounds.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:29 PM
Received 7,900 Likes on 4,772 Posts

The loudspeaker is a 64 Ohm .5 or .7 Watt unit (66mm?) so you can check it with a meter.
I bought 5 from somewhere at $5 each but Jaguar sells them for an awful lot of money. ($25 ?)

Old 07-18-2022, 01:19 PM
jry
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Odd impedance, but we're dealing with such low power....

Thanks much!!