XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Fuel pump bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump bad?

I replaced my fuel pump last September in my 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas. Today when I went to start my car it wouldnt start. There definatley is gas in the car but when I turn the key it sounds like im out of gas. I checked the fuel pump fueses in the trunk and none of them are blown. Also when I turn the key I hear a faint sound in the back like the fuel pump wants to kick on but from what I can remember it doesnt sound like it usually does. What could be the problem and is my new fuel pump shot???

Old 08-31-2012, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,350 Likes on 1,063 Posts

There's a schrader valve on the fuel injection rail that you can connect a fuel pressure tester to and read off the pressure. You can do a rough test by having someone crank the engine as you depress the valve, making sure there's plenty of rags around the valve. If it dribbles out, pump bad, if it squirts out pump ok - if you put a tester on it, it should read 40psi. Another one is to open the boot and listen as the ignition is turned on, there should be a whine from the pump.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Angry

I have simmilar problem?
Parked my 1998 Vanden Plas, went to the store, came back, inserted key into ignition
engine turned over ( I am getting a spark, and starter turns) engine fires, stutters, and does not run. For some reason I am unable to post this question on forums.
Does anyone have simmilar experience with this problem?

Old 10-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

if you don't hear the whine either the lead wires are burnt that are in the tank or the pump is gone again...either way you're pulling the tank...if your relays are good and fuses are good and again you don't hear the whine...time to pull that tank.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:28 AM

Run power to the fuel pump wire at fuel pump relay location (Red/Blue wire on '93 XJ6). I'm not sure if wire colors are the same on your xj8. I found that, after changing fuel pump, I was not getting power to the pump because of a bad connection at back of fuse box for fuel pump. On '93 xj6, Brown/yellow wire leads from fuse box to fuel pump relay in trunk, then blue/red wire leads to fuel pump. You should hear whirring of fuel pump when you give blue/red wire 12 volts at the relay harness.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:49 AM

VDP started this morning without hesitation. It is beyond my understanding what is going on. I don't think scannig codes shows any problems relating to fuel pump?
Could it be loose connection for one of the fuel pump wires?
Thank you for your suggestions

Old 10-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Default Fuel pump

Originally Posted by burza
VDP started this morning without hesitation. It is beyond my understanding what is going on. I don't think scannig codes shows any problems relating to fuel pump?
Could it be loose connection for one of the fuel pump wires?
Thank you for your suggestions
It could be a loose connection. I would test voltage on wire that goes to fuel pump at fuel pump relay location and at fuel pump lead that you can access behind trunk panel. In my case, I wasn't getting power to my fuel pump relay which should always have power. To test fuel pump is working, I ran a wire from battery positive terminal to red/blue lead that leads from fuel pump relay to fuel pump. Once the fuel pump gets power, you'll hear the whirring of the fuel pump.
If you do hear fuel pump, keep the power to fuel pump on for about 10 to 15 seconds and this will be enough time to pressurize fuel system to get the car to start.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 AM

Thank you for your suggestion.
I had my Jag towed to an honest mechanic(really!)
I need new pump and harness ($1100 worth of work)
What a shame that Jaguar did not design access for the pump in the trunk.
As expensive as this car was in 1998 ($68,000 plus) one would think Jaguar would do much better design on it if one considers timing chain tensioners, engine cylinders, plastic water pump, plastic thermostat cover, etc. I had above issues fixed.
I am fed up with pumping money into my Jag, It is now for sale.

Last edited by burza; 10-23-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

I understand your frustration but it isn't just Jaguar that uses infernally inaccessible in-tank pumps.
I've been looking at the possibility of installing an external pump and you'd be amazed how many different car forums have a thread on this.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Jag is NOT alone. I have S430 Benz, that I can not believe how stupidly they designed some components. From the placment of the electronics, to inferior materials,...you name it. They are just slapped together, and some systems look like they were designed by a highschool dropouts.

I firmly believe that this is done in order to maximize the profits. "They" (the manufacturers) don't want you to have a car that will last trouble free for a long time. The money needs to be flowing at all times. I owned FIAT's in the 70s that were better designed. When I say "better", I mean according to their price tag. They were made better than the price would indicate.

In these times we live in,.....the price doesn't mean ANYTHING. Unless you are buying RR, or something custom made and assembled by hand,....forget it.

When you go shopping for a car, you need to figure out what will go wrong with it at any point in the future, and be prepared. Transportation costs money, period. And the cost of the car and gasoline is not it. All repairs need to be figured in the cost, and if that cost makes sense to you, go for it. Thinking along these lines will make you realize that leasing a new car (whatever brand) might be a viable option. You can lease pretty much ANYTHING (high end) for about 1200-1300 a month. No headaches, no worries, full warranty, AND maintenance. That's about 15K a year. Now figure out the cost of the car that you purchased used (for cash hopefully!), plus maintenance, repairs, aggravation, frustration, and your time,.......you might be paying more than for the lease!

My "problem" is,.....I DON"T LIKE modern cars! They are all starting to look alike, and I don't like it. I have a four year old X5 (among other cars) in the garage with 25K on the clock and not a single issue (as a reliable transportation). I bought a Jag to play with it, to learn to wrench on it, and I am sure I'm it's last owner. I didn't buy it for transportation, and the cost of repairs is minimal, because I LIKE to work on vehicles. I drive my VDP the most (the new toy), and I don't care if it leaves me stranded somewhere (it will not, because I go over EVERYTHING with a fine tooth comb), there is AAA towing, garage full of tools, and forums like this one, where all the info is at your fingertips.

So,.....I fully understand your statement of "done with pumping money into it", but that's what we all do. Some don't mind to learn and get greasy, and some pay some other "grease monkey" to do it for them, it's all the same. Instead of watching the tube, or play video games (I don't even watch sports!), I relax in my garage, and on the forums like this to solve the "puzzle" the vehicle is throwing at me. And I cheat! I read EVERYTHING ever posted on the model I have (and I have photografic memory), and if I am presented by a "puzzle" in the future, I know there is a post in here with the same problem, and it's solution.

Don't be upset. Figure out if this car is a transportation for you, or a hobby (the two rarely mix!). If it's a transportation, you have better choices out there. If it's a hobby,.....money is not important.

The following users liked this post:
fredd60 (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 10:38 AM

I agree with your observations. Modern cars are junk, and all look alike.
I also agree that since about 1980's cars were made for car dealer's/maker's profits
with no sence for ease of repairs. I owned 1978 450 SEL with no issues and drove it 350,000 miles, doing maintenance myself. Health reasons and retirement disallow me working on cars. I have not much against older Jaguars, other then poor mechanical design, and so called repair shops which take advantage of it. In reality it is today's corporate entity which rips customers off.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Sorry to hear that you can't work on the cars. But there is a solution to that too. I owned several businesses here in SoCal, and most of my employees were Hispanics (I am fluent in Spanish, but I am blond, blue eyed German). By working with them for about 15 years, I learned that they have different ways of taking care of things,.....all kinds of things. Car repair is one of them.

If you can diagnose (or pay somebody to diagnose) the problem, you can take the car to a "mechanic" that is VERY GOOD in wrenching, and can replace ANYTHING (with a little experience any mechanically inclined person can swap parts). Someone like that can spend a day in the trunk wrestling the fuel pump out of the tank with ease, and they charge PEANUTS in comparison to "white people's mechanics" (all cash with no receipt). They can even get you the parts from Mexico, where the parts are ten times cheaper than over here (OEM parts, not junk!).

I do all diagnosing myself (forums, scanners, experience, etc.), and work on MY cars (and my wife's),..... my daughter's car gets done by the "mechanic", and the parts are procured from Mexico. I supervised him on the initial work he did for us, and now I have a full confidence in his abilities (three years working for us). My kid goes through oil pans on her Audi like candy. Getting one down in Tijuana sure helps a lot. By the time I pay for the parts (Mexico retail), and pay for the labor, I am into it for less than the part would cost me (wholesale!) in the US.

If you are going into a shop that "specializes" in Jaguars (even Indy shops!), you ARE getting robbed. Jaguar's are NOT space shuttles. They are just cars, like any other car out there. If one can change the brakes (example) on the Chevy, one can change the brakes on ANY other make. Anyway,.....this is MY way, and anyone out there can do it the way they like. Just wanted to help.

And for all others out there,......if a non Spanish person approaches any of the "Hispanic Network" (my term) shops, they WILL get treated with suspicion, and taken advantage of. If you don't speak Spanish, take a friend with you that does, and can "vouch" for you.