XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

12 XJL SC Drive Shaft flex plate and center support/bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 09:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 12 XJL SC Drive Shaft flex plate and center support/bearing

I need the drive shaft flex plate for my car as there is loud thud when letting off the gas under load as well as clunk/thud when putting it in gear. I've tried looking for SGF GAP01-003, and cannot find it being sold anywhere. Does anyone know of any alternatives available currently for that? If so where can I buy them?

Old 06-29-2019, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,762 Posts

Are you sure it's not engine and/or transmission mounts?
Just something to check.

Does the coupling have play in it under the car?

Old 06-29-2019, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Are you sure it's not engine and/or transmission mounts?
Just something to check.

Does the coupling have play in it under the car?
Im replacing those as well. I’m actually getting my trans fluid and filter changed and thought the clunking and the thuds I’m hearing are related to the transmission. I did some searching last night and found a couple people reporting the drive shaft flex plate causing this issue. And since I’m replacing the flex plate might as well do the transmission mount as well. I thought of just replacing those because these things are rubber and they are pretty much wear and tear. And no I haven’t checked for play. Do you suggest I start with the mounts first and maybe rule those out?

Old 06-29-2019, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

No but we have had more reports of engine/trans mounts than the flex disc.
The motor mounts are fluid filled so look for stains and leakage.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:42 PM

No but we have had more reports of engine/trans mounts than the flex disc.
The motor mounts are fluid filled so look for stains and leakage.
Thanks for the help, I will report back when my issue is fixed.
i was looking at the mounts, seems like the mounts itself cost more than labor. Lol

Old 07-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

FYI, the transmission mount is not fluid filled, only the engine mounts. It is also MUCH easier to replace than the engine mounts.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:39 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Does this thread sound like the same issue you are having?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-clunk-172536/

Old 07-01-2019, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by NvmyJag
Does this thread sound like the same issue you are having?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-clunk-172536/
Yes that is the exact same issue, he stated it was the prop shaft. Would someone happen to know if it was U-joint or maybe even the flex plate? Because Jaguar is known to replace in whole assemblies rather than replacing the part. If so I’m pretty sure it would be cheaper to replaced a U-joint or a flex plate, rather than a whole drive shaft. Let me add though this only happens when I let off the gas and the car up shifts. It doesn’t thud or clunk when i let off the gas and the car stays in the same gear

Last edited by Supercharged Jag; 07-01-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:07 PM

Well I have an appointment on Friday with my tech to take a look at what the issue is. Just in case it is the drive shaft flex, I found the alternative part to it. It’s a Porsche Cayenne/VW Touareg/Audi Q7 part, Part # 7l0521403. Some even have GAP01-003 written on them. Just thought I’d put it out there in case any one needs one and can’t find the SGF part.

The following 3 users liked this post by Supercharged Jag:
dmchao (07-02-2019), Panthro (07-27-2019), XJ8JR (07-02-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for that and I will look for what the shop finds out.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:41 AM

Thanks for that and I will look for what the shop finds out.
Well I got my Transmission fluid and filter/pan replaced yesterday by another shop. And I have to say the clunk is still there, but it is way smoother and happens on and off now. Before it was every single time. Now it’s sometimes. It’s more of a thud now rather than clunk. He did a quick inspection and said he didn’t see anything wrong with anything. My guess now is, it’s a transmission mount rather than a flex plate. But I will confirm what the issue is, IF there is any tomorrow.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:08 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Although it is probably not your issue, there is a TSB for 2010-2013 models that make a clunk when going into park. The solution is to update the software on the transmission control module. So you may want to check if you are updated to the latest version.

The TSB is JTB00395NAS1 and can be found here:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...96571-1020.pdf

Old 07-04-2019, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
Although it is probably not your issue, there is a TSB for 2010-2013 models that make a clunk when going into park. The solution is to update the software on the transmission control module. So you may want to check if you are updated to the latest version.

The TSB is JTB00395NAS1 and can be found here:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...96571-1020.pdf
I actually was having this issue, but it got fixed by changing the fluid and filter. It’s smooth like butter. Also my VIN isn’t affected. Thank you for the info though, I never even knew about this.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:01 PM

I got my car looked at today, and apparently it’s the center bearing support for the drive shaft. I got to find out along with that expensive quote that my timing chains, guides, and tensioners need to be replaced, as well as my rear lower control arm bushing are starting to go. Drive shaft is $1500 while labor is $200. The timing chains and stuff I anticipate to be somewhere between $2000 and $3000. Majority of it being labor and the parts being $500-$700. And control arms I can do myself. I was wondering if anyone knows if it’s possible to buy just the center bearing support for the drive shaft rather than the whole assembly (i doubt it)? I’ve looked and saw a company makes them just for the X-type and the good old XJ6, but not for a X351. One other question, 2 weeks ago I got all 3 of my front upper and lower control arms replace. Ride has became much better, but now there is clunk from the front right side only. It’s happens only when pulling into a driveway, tapping on the brake pedal while reversing and when the steering wheel is turned. Other than that driving, going over harsh bumps it’s super quiet. I got my alignment done today again as well, and the noise seems not worse, but just louder. It happens in the same instances, just a tad bit louder after the alignment. My sway bar bushings are shot and I can tell they are by the sound being similar to a softball in a wooden box. Two shops checked and said everything visibly and physically looks in great shape. My only other guess would be, the sway bar link is loose, or it wasn’t tightened with the weight on the wheels.

Last edited by Supercharged Jag; 07-08-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

It's almost impossible to gauge the condition of the sway bar bushings just by looking at them. That would be my first suspect. Other than that, just double-check that all the new control arms are bolted down tight.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
It's almost impossible to gauge the condition of the sway bar bushings just by looking at them. That would be my first suspect. Other than that, just double-check that all the new control arms are bolted down tight.
It might be the bolts because I forgot to mention, the car has been pulling to the right ever since I got it back. After 3 alignments in 2 weeks (the third one being a different shop), the steering wheel was now finally straight and for the most part goes straight but starts pulling to the right. My guess like you said is probably the bolts are not tight and if they are they weren’t tightened with the wheels on the ground. I will try to find a new shop tomorrow and take it to them to get all the bolts and nuts re torqued properly

Old 07-11-2019, 05:29 PM

A quick little update, I got the fluid and filter/pan replaced about 2 weeks ago. The thud got a tad bit better but barely noticeably better. Fast forward to today, when going from park to drive the jerks really really bad. It doesn’t move but just jerks. When going from D to R it will thud and jerk just a little bit, not bad at all but nonetheless it does. I’m hoping this is the transmission mount causing this whole fiasco. Also 2 shops confirmed the flex plate/guibo is in great shape. I looked myself as well and it’s looks fine. When driving around town the transmission shifts normal and smoothly. I personally think it’s the mount and nothing physically wrong with the internals of the trans. I could be wrong though. Will update back soon

Old 07-11-2019, 10:13 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

I don’t know if this helps, but here is an informative thread about your and my transmission, the ZF 6HP28 linked below. The transmission changed in 2013 to an 8-speed variant. Maybe this thread can give you some ideas.

I heard that clunking and jerking could be a sign of a bad universal joint with other cars, but I haven’t looked into it with our car model.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ooting-191976/

All the best.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
I don’t know if this helps, but here is an informative thread about your and my transmission, the ZF 6HP28 linked below. The transmission changed in 2013 to an 8-speed variant. Maybe this thread can give you some ideas.

I heard that clunking and jerking could be a sign of a bad universal joint with other cars, but I haven’t looked into it with our car model.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ooting-191976/

All the best.
Yeah I’ve seen that thread before. As you know I’m getting the timing issue figured out which is a couple grand. Let’s hope this isn’t an internal transmission issue. I will see if my buddy is free tomorrow, he has a lift. I will try to see what happens from under neath when shifting through P R N D. I’m still hoping it’s just a trans mount because it’s cheaper lol. Thanks for the help

Old 07-22-2019, 05:19 PM
Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Check and make sure your mechanical vacuum pump isn’t leaking oil. This little gremlin can cause rough shifting and poor idle quality due to low vacuum. Plus a drop in oil level. Simple to see leak. It is located on the front of the engine down low. There will be an oil stain right below the pump on you lower splash covers. Just open the hood and look down with a flashlight. It will be on the sound deadening material.

Quick Reply: 12 XJL SC Drive Shaft flex plate and center support/bearing