XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

1st issues with XJL supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy 1st issues with XJL supercharged

Ok, after 1800 miles of driving my 2011 XJL supercharged Nieman Marcus edition what issues have surfaced ? First, let say those have been some glorious driving miles ....

issues:

1) Front passenger side lighted door sill stopped illuminating.
I'm told Jag received a large batch of defective sills from its supplier. They halted the production until problem was fixed and now I wait a week or so for the new one.

2) Sirius sat radio is not able to be activated.
The sat radio when chosen shows up in the main touch screen on channel 184 correctly but none of the preset or other touchscreen buttons appear. The subscription activation fails. The service department says they are researching the problem.

3) I have heard a faint "knock" in the sunroof a couple of times when the car is turned quickly up a short incline like a driveway.
the service manager says this is a known problem with a few cars that were delivered with what sounds like a broken grummet in the sunroof. It will be fixed when the car is delivered for fixing issue number 1) .

Okay, not elated about the issues but still very upbeat about the car. If these are the only issues that arise I'm cool....

Old 08-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

What a coincidence--I've got that same knocking in my roof when I turn into my inclined driveway. At first I thought it was an acorn falling on my roof from a tree next to the driveway, but then determined that it was something in the roof. It also occurs occasionally when I just make a sharp turn. Good to know that Jaguar is aware of this and is, hopefully, an easy fix.

I also have a very slight rattle coming from somewhere near the front passenger side dash that is driving me a little crazy. My wife's solution is to turn up the radio, but I think I'll have the dealer try to figure it out!

I have not activated my satellite radio yet and probably will not--I wonder if this is just another glitch in the electronics package.

I'm running neck and neck with you--I've got about 1,700 miles so far and still generally very pleased.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock in sunroof

I have the same knocking sound in the back sunroof on the passenger side when I make a hard turn or hit a bump. Let me know what your dealer says. I've only got about 200 miles on the XJL supercharged. Extremely fun driving.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 PM

I thought so .... I believe the issue with the sunroof will be pervasive as will be the issue with the illuminating door sills. My appointment is next week on thursday and I will post how things go. I heard a little rattling in the front also like something tapping. I adjusted the seat belt height level at the doorpost and ta da! No more rattles. The roof thing is going to require placement of new spacing grummets. The Sirius radio issue sounds like it will take a cold reboot of the computers.

XJinLA, have you activated your Sirius radio?

Old 08-04-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Celestial
I thought so .... I believe the issue with the sunroof will be pervasive as will be the issue with the illuminating door sills. My appointment is next week on thursday and I will post how things go. I heard a little rattling in the front also like something tapping. I adjusted the seat belt height level at the doorpost and ta da! No more rattles. The roof thing is going to require placement of new spacing grummets. The Sirius radio issue sounds like it will take a cold reboot of the computers.

My knocking is in several different places, but all in the rear--I suspect it has to do with the way the glass panels are mounted to the roof. I asked my dealer about it and they are not aware of any bulletins from Jaguar about this. It will be interesting to hear what your dealer does to fix this.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 PM

my service manager says that they are in the process of working on the roof knock issue today and by the time I get there next week they will be able to handle this. I can only be thankful that I will be following the first attempt at fix rather than being the first.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

have that same "knock" coming from the sunroof as well. i have sirius activated with no issues. still waiting for the voice activation to be uploaded...was told it would be august. ive got 1500 miles so far.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 AM

I was able to activate the Sirius radio by calling the # on the screen. I had to have the Sirius radio turned on as the radio was activated remotely. All magic to me. It's working well.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:13 PM

XJinLA , just out of curiosity, when you first turned on your Sirius radio (BEFORE YOU ACTIVATED IT) were there any buttons on the touch screen that were visible on the touchscreen itself? If so, which buttons were available?

Old 08-08-2010, 11:39 AM

I think that the screen showed the telephone number to call Sirius to activate the system. I also think that there were six rectangular "buttons" on the touch screen, and each of them was labeled "weather."

Old 08-08-2010, 01:59 PM

Thanks XJinLA that is exactly the info I need .... Thursday back to dealer for "fixes"...

Old 08-15-2010, 12:45 AM

The knock in the roof is repaired and Jag has posted a bulletin on it. The issue with sat radio was fixed by changing module out but .... Car still at dealership until I'm comfortable with computer stability ...

Old 08-15-2010, 06:11 PM

The knock in the roof is repaired and Jag has posted a bulletin on it. The issue with sat radio was fixed by changing module out but .... Car still at dealership until I'm comfortable with computer stability ...
What was the fix for the roof?

Old 08-16-2010, 01:33 AM

I'm not sure cause the mechanic that did the repair was not there when I went by. I'll ask tomorrow. I am driving a "loaner" 2010 XF for now while they finishing debugging.... The XF is pretty nice I might add .

Old 08-17-2010, 11:02 AM

I'm not sure cause the mechanic that did the repair was not there when I went by. I'll ask tomorrow. I am driving a "loaner" 2010 XF for now while they finishing debugging.... The XF is pretty nice I might add .
Any feedback you can give me on your roof problem repair would be appreciated. My dealer says they have not had any of their new XJ's sold so far come back for this and that Jaguar does not have a bulletin out on it. I would like to talk to your dealer if, in fact, they have determined what causes the problem and how to fix it. The knocking is definitely getting worse and now it occurs almost every time I go over a bump in the road--still coming from the rear, but sometimes passenger side and sometimes driver side.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:52 PM

I am told that the roof knock is definitely a known issue. You can call Jim Tackett, service manager at Jaguar of Tampa (813) 579-2302 and chat with him. My suggestion is to take your dealer for a ride and let them here the noise and then let them tell you how it is not an issue. I am convinced that left unfixed the problem will propagate and could even become a safety issue because the roof integrity may get compromised. The issue with the sat radio wasn't a deal breaker. The issue with the roof knock would have been a deal breaker........

Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the integrity of the roof. I had one the other day that I resolved by adjusting the glass. Simple as that. I am not aware of any TSB, nothing comes up when I check GTR. Noises are usually just that, noises....nothing to lose sleep over.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:14 PM

noises are just noises except when they occur in a $90,000+ vehicle ... popping and thudding noises in the roof when you turn a corner or go over a small bump are not considered okay in my estimation .... I don't get anything like that off-road over tough terrain in my LR discovery!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:18 PM

Celestial,

Yeah, it's really irritating. My dealer has not tried to get out of fixing it, they just say that they have not seen any bulletins on it or had anyone else complain, including the GM of the dealership that is driving one. They want me to bring it in and have me take one of their mechanics out for a test drive to show him the problem (won't be too difficult since it is happening pretty frequently now). I just want to get as much information for them as I can before they tear into it--I'm going to try and contact your service manager tomorrow. Thanks for the contact info.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:17 PM

He told m that he discovered that 2 bolts in the roof had backed out (loosened) and had to be adjusted/secured. No knocking at this point. Hope you get it taken care of, especially since the problem will progress as you described.....

Quick Reply: 1st issues with XJL supercharged