XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

1st issues with XJL supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat. Got my car in June and heard the popping noise in the roof on the way home. Dealer has had it a couple of times to try and repair. They still haven't gotten it completely right, anyone know what the Technical Service Bulletin reference number is? Want to get this one fixed. FYI, my Sirius activated without issue. Though, I can't get my clock to set off of military time.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:58 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Got my car back today after being at the dealer for a week for the roof knocking noise and it's still not fixed! Here's what they wrote on the work order:

"Tech removed headliner to gain access to inspect sunroof cassette. Tech removed cassette mounting nuts and centered the cassette studs. Tech also torqued casting torx screws. Tech performed road test with service advisor and can't hear popping noise after repair was done."

I'm taking it back later this week and going for a drive with their tech. It seems a little improved, but still occurs. Sure would like to get to the bottom of this. Bummer!

Old 08-31-2010, 06:23 PM

Here is what my tech wrote:

A: Have a popping type noise at rear of car around roof.
Cause: Tightened Bolts
766400 Dropped headlining tightened bolts and tested
1476 - Found that popping noise coming from center of roof area, dropped headliner down and test drove at slight inclines and found popping at center support at both center brackets on side. Loose bolts and rubbing against metal, installed felt and tightened bolts and tested for noise, no other noise heard. Complete.

Still have the issue, though not as bad as it was before.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the same noise on inclines in my drivewat and on bumps. jaguar in nj said it may be a recall

Old 09-03-2010, 01:54 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with the poster who said this should not happen on a $90,000+ car. And one tech fixed by "taking the roof liner" out !...tightening bolts and putting "felt" on them. You have got to be kidding me. Felt? Basically, they are not really fixing the flaw, they are masking it you can cannot hear it, but very likely any safety issue could still exist. And why ar these techs just stumbling/bumbling with trial/error approach...this is how Jaguar solves it's problems? Why isn't Jaguar itself looking directly into this, instead of just relying on dealers to try to figure things out.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What makes you think that Jaguar itself isn't looking into the issue and proper resolution? I fully agree that one should expect more from a $90k car, and that band-aids are not the solution, but it is possible that both the band-aid and actual fix are simultaneous efforts. Certainly had me concerned about my baby, but glad it's two months away on the delivery date.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:35 PM
pwl

I don't think they have timely looked into these based, among other things, on my converations with Jaguar NA. Look at all the posts through various threads. Some techs saying one thing, some techs something else. Jaguar should be in control of these quality issues and all dealers s/b on the page. They dealyed the car for months with the reasoning being to ensure no quality issues would arise (so long they had to rebadge it). What were they doing during all this time?Hopefully by the time you get yours, these problems will be solved. But if I were in your shoes now, I might think twice. This is always a risk with a new model, but given the delay ostensibly for quality control, the signficance of the problems, and the cost of the car, these quality defects are actionable. It's a shame, becuase it's a nice looking car and drives very nice, when it's working. Good luck with your car.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:40 PM

No, you're absolutely right. I guess I'm just giving a little more wiggle room to them because it is such a new vehicle. Of course my car isn't here, and I'm not living with the issues at this point, so maybe I'd feel differently if I were in your shoes. I just remember all of the problems I had with my M5 and my S55...took a good 6 months of visits to the dealer with both cars to work all of the bugs out. I'm expecting the Jag to be the same, but with a 5yr / 50k mile everything warranty, I'm not as concerned as I might be otherwise. I does beg the question of what the Jaguar testers were doing to miss all of this stuff, and if they didn't, was it really worth it to come to market early with an unfinished product? I'm just glad you guys are all being proactive with getting these issues fixed right away...betters my chances of a quick fix when mine arrives.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

It's hard for me to believe that Jaguar did not experience this roof knocking problem before they released the cars since it is so prevalent. There should already be numerous bulletins out on this, yet some dealers say they are not even aware of the problem. I was impressed that Celestial's service manager in Tampa that I spoke with offerred to talk to my dealer's service manager to discuss the various issues that they have experienced so far with this problem, but, unfortunately, to no avail.

I also feared problems with all of the new electronic wizardry, but moved forward anyway because I was so drawn to the car's design. I violated my cardinal rule--never buy a car in its first year of production!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ultimately Jaguar will have to step up to the plate and give an account of their short comings with regards to the XJ and a clear and concise plan to rectify the problems. They really need to do that very soon . Silence is deadly with regards to public perception of corporate negligence. Its so bizarre to me that every company seems to have to learn the same lesson repeatedly......

Old 09-17-2010, 10:02 PM
pwl

Interesting....did any of you know the Corvette was recalled late last year for roof issues. Look at nhsta.gov recall RCDNN 09V4941000 (2005-2007). I'm not saying it's the same, but look at some of what is says on the website:

"concerns the way the roofs panels attach to the frame. Under certain circumstances that adhesive can come apart and the roof can fall off the vehicle at speed.....The adhesive between the roof panel and the frame may separate. If there is a partial separation, the driver may notice one or more symptoms, such as a snapping noise when driving over bumps... in a worst-case scenario, the roof may detach from the car altogether and could hit another vehicle or cause property damage."

Now, the corvette has a removable roof, but basically the XJ is all glass, panorama roof that basically lifts out and back. Anyhow, the symptom with the Corvett is what caught my eye, as it's the same with the XJ.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:23 AM

Celestial
did the roof popping come back?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:56 PM
pwl

Got mine back just recently so haven't tested it extensively yet. They basically told me they put bolts, spacers, blocks, cushions, and anything else one might find at the local hardware store to "rig" it (I bet they even used WD-40). Nice job jaguar on all the fancy "riveting" construction you extolled so much. I now have a $90,000 car with a roof courtesy your local "jim bob". I had a 65 falcon once that had problems with the throttle valve in the carburetor, and I fixed it by wedging a nickel down in there to hold it open all the time - it worked great, though I was at full throttle all the time. In any event, their "fix" to the roof brought back fond memories of my youth. Maybe I should have kept that car. Not nearly as nice, but the roof never made any knocking/popping.

Salt in the wound - they stracthed the underside of the roof glass.

Anyhow, even if it is fixed, the experience in dealing with this was horrific. Jaguar NA and the selling dealer taking a "sit and not respond" attitude to most of my inquiries.

My first and last Jaguar. I can't return to a car, no matter how good, at this price where they treat clients this way. It's not the problems a manufacturer might experience, it's how they respond to them. And Jaguar's response (and silence) was unacceptable. Ta ta Tata! Enjoy your temporary sales blip until the first time buyers go back to Benz and BMW.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:22 PM

Pal,

No offense meant, but do you have post the same message in every thread?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jcamp, so far no popping or noise. So far the electronics are holding up as well. I still await official word from Jag. i understand soon. I am willing to give what ever time they need rather than push for haste and something short of what we all want. I am still positive about the vehicle overall. Jag went out a bit on the the limb and was very aggressive with this cars design, that's probably captured my attention. I think that with a bit of patience, Jag will de-flaw this rather impressive automobile.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:30 PM

Very disappointing to hear about these problems, and I appreciate all of you taking the time to post in these forums. It will certainly serve to benefit all of us who take later delivery of our XJ's.

PWL, I don't find your experience to be unique to Jaguar, though I understand your frustration. I can tell you as a former BMW 328, 330, M5, and Mercedes S55 (current vehicle) owner, those manufacturers are equally likely to turn a deaf ear on complaints. At least that's been my experience. It happened on wheel replacement for my M5, when there was a well known and posted about flaw with the powder coating, and it happened on my S55 with some of the well known electronics issues that the dealer couldn't fix time after time. The more complex these cars become, the worse things get. IMHO, your local dealer is the problem. Corporate is abhorrent for every car manufacturer I've ever dealt with...it's their job to be difficult. If they weren't, they'd lose money by the fistfull. The onus is always on the local dealer to make things happen...never corporate, even if it's really a corporate problem. Just my 2 cents worth, but I wouldn't give up on the brand because of your experience.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I can see pwl's deeply disgruntled but repeating messages in threads won't help you sort out just problems .
Those problems surely should have been fixed early but I think by the time 3rd years since XJ is in its production time those issues will be fixed but early buyers will be the ones to suffer from those culprits

Old 09-23-2010, 08:16 AM

I believe PWL is repeating messages in an effort to ensure that 2011 XJ owners have the opportunity to see what he's written. This is because there is no clear place on this website for 2011 XJ's. Chime in if I'm wrong PWL, but that seems like the logical reasoning. Is a new subforum for 2011 XJ/L going to happen??? It's been talked about quite a bit...not sure what could possibly prevent it from being added.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:31 AM

yes too have been posting in multiple forums for the same subject, please create a 2011 xj8 forum.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Celestial
Jcamp, so far no popping or noise. So far the electronics are holding up as well. I still await official word from Jag. i understand soon. I am willing to give what ever time they need rather than push for haste and something short of what we all want. I am still positive about the vehicle overall. Jag went out a bit on the the limb and was very aggressive with this cars design, that's probably captured my attention. I think that with a bit of patience, Jag will de-flaw this rather impressive automobile.
I'm glad yours went away.
Mine came back after 1 week, I told my dealer to contact Jim Takett twice they told me they don't have to speak to anyone they are going directly to Jaguar.
I was taken back I said he works for Jaguar at another dealer it can't hurt to talk to the guy.They said no. Can you believe that?

Quick Reply: 1st issues with XJL supercharged