XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 XJ Deferred Technology

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 2011 XJ Deferred Technology

When I ordered the car, I had to sign a document that stated that I was aware that a few features would not work upon delivery until a software upgrade was performed later this year. These features were voice command capability, Ipod integration, and traffic on the nav system. This was no big deal, however, I wonder why Jaguar is having problems figuring these things out--seems to be pretty basic stuff that other manufacturers have sorted out.

Has everyone that has taken delivery on a 2011 XJ been told the same thing?

Old 07-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

All these components are made by external vendors, not Jaguar themselves. Maybe said components are working for EU and other parts fo the world, and it's the US version that is delayed.

Embarasing - sure, but they decided it's not worth delaying the car. You got the car anyway, which is proof they made the correct choice.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i was told the same thing that it would be available in august and need to bring car back to dealer, but they didnt have me sign anything

Old 07-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed yet?

Have they fixed the issues you mentioned yet? It would be very annoying to go months without phone, ipod and traffic. How do you like the car after a month?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:11 PM

No fixes yet, but they told me it would probably be the 4th quarter. The phone works fine--it's just the voice commands that aren't operational yet (for any of the systems). I don't use an Ipod and don't really care about the traffic, but I would like the voice command capability to reduce the amount of touch screen usage.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Red face Upgrades for 2011 XJ on the Way

In answer to an earlier comment made concerning the missing options on the XJ, I did not sign anything acknowledging the car was being sold to me without certain options, as mentioned. What they did tell me was said options should be available by October this year, and that the primary reason for the delay was to make refinements based on customer inputs. Some of you who were looking at the XJ's several months ago, may have noticed that certain dealerships were offering test drives in 2011 XJ's (they were not for sale), and collecting comments from prospective customers as to what they would like to see improved upon/changed/etc. The primary area of concern was the voice activation, but other things, evidently were evaluated (of course, nav traffic and ipod integration are pretty cut and dry). Jaguar called me a week after buying our car to inform us of the upcoming options, and to let us know they would keep us informed of the progress. My Jaguar sales agent (who I cant say enough good things about) stated the voice integration promises to be a huge improvement over other vehicle systems, and offer an array of commands, as well as much more flexibility with regards to interaction with the cars systems (climate, nav, stereo, etc.). Hopefully, reality will live up to the hype.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:27 PM

saber22,

I was led to believe by my dealer that the problem was in the ongoing development of these features, not that they had waited for input from prospective buyers (I did test drive the car a few months ago when Jaguar corporate was taking one by the dealers and was not told anything about the non-functioning features or asked for any feedback--I only found out about this when I put down a deposit around the first week of May to buy a particular car that the dealer had pre-ordered that was due at the dealership in early June). For instance, the voice command feature is listed in their brochure from September, 2009 when the car was supposed to be released as a 2010 model. I understand that the car was delayed due to a number of technical glitches and that they finally decided to release the cars recently as 2011 models even though they had not fixed all of the problems with the promise that everything will work by the 4th quarter. I'm surprised that your dealer did not have you sign the same document that I did--it was a Jaguar form for this specific purpose so that the buyer could not say later that they were not informed of the non-functioning features.

I am confident that they will get everything working, just surprised that it is taking them so long.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Default Awaiting Options...

Although new to Jaguar HouTexJag, I agree that all indications are the options will be delivered as promised, and any "issues" will be corrected ASAP. For example, had to bring our XJ into the dealership a week after picking it up to correct some minor issues (sun shade would not close all the way, one touch window not working correctly). While at the dealership, Jaguar home office called me, apologized for the inconvience of having to come by the dealership so soon after picking up the car (we live 90 minutes from the dealership), and offered a $300 voucher to buy Jaguar accessories. I know money cant buy happiness, but it certainly put a smile on my face...and I wasnt really that peeved about coming by the dealership in the first place.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:11 PM

yes they told me but the ipod does work on mine perfectly.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by saber22
While at the dealership, Jaguar home office called me, apologized for the inconvience of having to come by the dealership so soon after picking up the car (we live 90 minutes from the dealership), and offered a $300 voucher to buy Jaguar accessories. I know money cant buy happiness, but it certainly put a smile on my face...and I wasnt really that peeved about coming by the dealership in the first place.
Now that's what I call excellent customer service after the sale. Good to hear that.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went through a similar scenario which started with a glitch that impeded sat. radio activation. After replacing the sat. radio component and getting activation the problem you described showed up. After a couple hard (cold) reboots and replacement of a fuse the system works fine sans voice command. My take on the issue from my contact with the dealership and other inputs is mixed. First the 2011 cars were released with known issues related to the audio/media computer systems and second there were known impending software upgrades. The software "upgrades" sound more like software maturation, bug fixes and stabilization code fixes which they did not have time to do prior to releasing the cars. I personally think that sucks but it seems the software industry is releasing not ready for prime time software and then fixing things on the fly at a ever increasing rate. Perhaps soon we'll be expected to write a little of our own code to help them out ....

Old 08-27-2010, 06:52 PM

My car has been at the dealer since Wednesday at 7:00 am for the roof knocking problem. The evening before I took it in, my audio, phone, and nav systems stopped working when I made a gas stop--they did not come back on when I restarted the car. The audio system icon on the touch screen was grayed out, the phone system icon didn't do anything and would not bluetooth connect to my phone, and when I hit the nav system icon it said "initiallizing" and never changed. Later that evening I started the car again and everything worked. I mentioned this to the service advisor when I took the car in and he said this was a known problem that they had a software download fix for and also said something about replacing a fuse first. I had hoped to get my car back yesterday or today, but it won't be until Monday or Tuesday because Jaguar wants the dealer to heavily document everything since the car model is so new per my service advisor. Still not sure why this will take 4 to 5 days and am not real happy about it, but they did put me in a new XF as a loaner so I can't complain too much. I hope that every time I have to take the car in for something minor they don't have to keep it a week--that reminds me of the kind of service I got on the Maserati QP I traded in!

By the way, I'm pretty impressed with the XF--it is very well appointed with nice fit and finish, good performance, and a giant leap forward from the X Type I had for a loaner several years ago in my opinion.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes i heard about some software issues but my system has gone down twice now and I lost navigation and tunes. I was told by another dealer that the phone is the main cause of the malfunction and that by October 1st. there should be a fix. Lets hope so as JAG will be buying back a lot of these cars.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:31 PM

I bought my XJ SC in June and was not required to sign anything about deferred technology. I am excited to hear about the traffic monitoring. Does anyone know when the software is going to be available?

Old 08-31-2010, 03:09 PM
Default 2011 XJ Supercharged Interior Poll

Wanted to take a quick pulse to see if anyone else with a new 2011 XJ has the Carbon Fiber interior option. I was luckily enough to find mine with the Carbon package.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Please post a couple of pictures of your carbon dash, I have not seen it yet.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:28 AM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I swear, we (Microsoft) did not write the software.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The software is due out the end of September and will be available to the public October 1. at least that is what i am told.
they also have issues with the vanity mirrors; the fold down trays in the rear; sun roof rolling up properly; cover in rear window falling off. all is supposed to be ready for fixing in October. we shall see.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
My car has been at the dealer since Wednesday at 7:00 am for the roof knocking problem. The evening before I took it in, my audio, phone, and nav systems stopped working when I made a gas stop--they did not come back on when I restarted the car. The audio system icon on the touch screen was grayed out, the phone system icon didn't do anything and would not bluetooth connect to my phone, and when I hit the nav system icon it said "initiallizing" and never changed. Later that evening I started the car again and everything worked. I mentioned this to the service advisor when I took the car in and he said this was a known problem that they had a software download fix for and also said something about replacing a fuse first. I had hoped to get my car back yesterday or today, but it won't be until Monday or Tuesday because Jaguar wants the dealer to heavily document everything since the car model is so new per my service advisor. Still not sure why this will take 4 to 5 days and am not real happy about it, but they did put me in a new XF as a loaner so I can't complain too much. I hope that every time I have to take the car in for something minor they don't have to keep it a week--that reminds me of the kind of service I got on the Maserati QP I traded in!

By the way, I'm pretty impressed with the XF--it is very well appointed with nice fit and finish, good performance, and a giant leap forward from the X Type I had for a loaner several years ago in my opinion.
The same exact thing happened to me to a T. Except mine did not come back on.
I got it at Ray Catena & my service manager told me he can't give me another Jag loaner because I have Geico insurance, & they won't cover the loaner if I have a accident, but they will give me a rent a car from Enterprise.
i am pissed. The roof rattle is driving me crazy I can't even play a cd.

Quick Reply: 2011 XJ Deferred Technology