XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 XJ Deferred Technology

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what its worth...picked my XJ up about two months ago and no issues with any "popping" of the roof, no matter what sort of incline or tilt the car experiences. I am going to ask my dealer (Annapolis, MD) if they have heard of it on other XJ's they have sold (so far..only seven), and will pass on any new info. Have to say I have had my share of issues with the car, most of them electronic. Biggest problem was rear turn signals intermittently failing. Current issue is right rear window will only roll up half way when using the "one-touch" UP. But...I love the car...I know that sounds hard to believe (traded a BMW 7), I had my share of problems with BMW, and I realized I was buying a new model, so there is risk....after all...it is built by humans. I am hopeful no more major "issues".

Old 09-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good way of looking at things, man made anything will have flaws .... I am wondering if the roof problem is more related to XJL such as mine. Although no more roof popping since service call I hold a wait and see outlook.... Still great vehicle!

Old 09-11-2010, 05:32 PM

I'm a SWB and had the popping the day I picked up my car, so it doesn't seem to be isolated to the LWB.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:03 AM
Default Other delays

In addition to the delay on the nav system - I had asked to have some options added and was advised that they are not yet available due to a redesign.
I had asked for
Illuminated Sill Tread Plates Front and Rear
Illuminated Boot Tread Strip
Tailpipe Finisher – (02C2Z11723)
Intaglio Finisher - Ian Callum signature (02C2D17977)
I was surprised to find even the Intaglio is delayed due to redesign and that Jaguar cannot give an estimated ship date therefore the dealer cannot even place the order.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by hunterjah
I'm a SWB and had the popping the day I picked up my car, so it doesn't seem to be isolated to the LWB.
SWB here too and popping roof since delivery.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 AM

Jaguar/Tata have a lot of time/money invested in this car....and I mean "A LOT".... The new XJ has received glowing comments overall in the past several months on it's new design from auto critics all over the world. With that said, there have been several vehicles in history (and currently) which were introduced to the consumer with much fan fare and excitement...only to be deflated by horrible reliability and poor customer service. Jaguar was already on the road to changing its historical "lows" with introduction of the XF, and now the XJ. Does it suck spending over $80K on a new car, only to bring it back to the dealership after a few days on the road....YOU BET!!! Unless your budget for a new car falls in line with what you pay your gardner (if you had a gardner...), then you are like me...and this is a BIG DEAL. We saved over years to get the car of our "dreams", only to realize that OWNING our dream car, no matter what it is, usually comes with a price we had not fully appreciated (a co-worker has a porsche...and he is more excited about what type of loaner car they are going to give him on his "um-teenth" service visit). Jaguar brags about its "platinum" service as if it were a landmark benefit of owning one of their cars. But my point is....you can give me a 20 year warranty....but save for oil/fluid changes and routine maintenance...I DON'T want to have to bring the car in for repairs.....I want to enjoy it. With all that said, let me say I am still somewhat optimistic things will work out. The dealership here in Annapolis has been outstanding (how many car companies have given you $300 just because you had to bring your car in for a repair.....), and although I have less confidence in the car compared to when I first drove it off the lot...I still hope things will work out (I probably just jinxed myself....). Jaguar isnt stupid...they know if the reliability ratings drop on the XJ faster than the housing prices, the XJ will become just one more symbol for the rich and famous who can afford to have the car sit in their six stall garage and only drive it once a year. Lets keep our fingers crossed.....

Old 09-12-2010, 11:07 AM

well said saber22 ! I too hope Jag understands there is a clock ticking down times before this dazzling new XJ experience fizzles .

Old 09-12-2010, 03:44 PM

I think as a token for all the frustration the first owners have experienced, Jag should give us a Bremont clock to finish out the car...similar to the clock that was displayed in the Pebble Beach Concourse show car!

Old 09-12-2010, 05:45 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Regarding the comments here about service, reliability, satisfaction, etc. I'm not sure I believe any of these ratings anymore that get doled out. I have actually been "bribed" by JAG Dealer to give them all "outstandings" when I get some survey in the mail from JDPowers, despite all the issues I'm having. I have the emails to prove it. They even asked if I would pass it to them to fill out. If this is indicative of surveys by JDPowers, how can they be given any credence?

Any issue that requires they disassemble a factory installed part and have some kid (relatively speaking in my case) fish around for a fix (hopefully) and manually reinstall the suede headliner, is simply not a good omen. For all those who have had no popping noise, you are very lucky (or hard of hearing). Or maybe it's just a matter of time.

Sure, it's a nice car (when all systems work), but this is a major flaw for $90,000. Are we forgetting this was supposed to be a 2010 model car!? And was tested/tested/tested and delayed so it would have no major flaws. If this isn't resolved to my complete satisfaction, it will be back to Benz for me - let me remind Jag, that I am one of the coveted, younger buyers they wanted to take away from Benz/BMW in hopes of changing/saving Jag. I don't have time to waste with brand new cars being in the shop, or having major flaws (shifting glass, nav/radio not working, possessed windows, stuttering engines, vanishing displays, etc.).

Old 09-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pwl
Regarding the comments here about service, reliability, satisfaction, etc. I'm not sure I believe any of these ratings anymore that get doled out. I have actually been "bribed" by JAG Dealer to give them all "outstandings" when I get some survey in the mail from JDPowers, despite all the issues I'm having. I have the emails to prove it. They even asked if I would pass it to them to fill out. If this is indicative of surveys by JDPowers, how can they be given any credence?

Any issue that requires they disassemble a factory installed part and have some kid (relatively speaking in my case) fish around for a fix (hopefully) and manually reinstall the suede headliner, is simply not a good omen. For all those who have had no popping noise, you are very lucky (or hard of hearing). Or maybe it's just a matter of time.

Sure, it's a nice car (when all systems work), but this is a major flaw for $90,000. Are we forgetting this was supposed to be a 2010 model car!? And was tested/tested/tested and delayed so it would have no major flaws. If this isn't resolved to my complete satisfaction, it will be back to Benz for me - let me remind Jag, that I am one of the coveted, younger buyers they wanted to take away from Benz/BMW in hopes of changing/saving Jag. I don't have time to waste with brand new cars being in the shop, or having major flaws (shifting glass, nav/radio not working, possessed windows, stuttering engines, vanishing displays, etc.).

Well never compare a German car with a British car, one is a machine and the other one is a living creature, and of course anything with soul is more fragile than a machine. I ve had 2 mercedeses before my Jag and one was an AMG, I still love MBs, and I'd love to own an SLR one day, but I think British people make good cars, yes I know they are not as good as German cars but still they have souls. We are sorry that you ve had problems with your XJ but that is why you don't buy 1st year cars and if you do you face it's problems, and believe me its not just Jaguar even if you buy a 1st year Lexus or whatever you'd still have problems, anyway like my father always tells me; follow the star you won't be sorry, so i think S class will be a better car for you

Old 09-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I really don't think Tata is going to be satisfied with building cars with soul rather than world class competitors of Mercedes, BMW, and Audi! The XJ must be able to go head-to-head with the S Class and others.

I have to admit, though, your comment about 1st year cars is spot on.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Monday 9/12 my car should be ready hope they fix it. I will contact Jaguar to get a refund

Old 09-14-2010, 05:26 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
I really don't think Tata is going to be satisfied with building cars with soul rather than world class competitors of Mercedes, BMW, and Audi! The XJ must be able to go head-to-head with the S Class and others.

I have to admit, though, your comment about 1st year cars is spot on.
And I have to admit that the NEW AUDI A8 KICKS ***! OMG that thing is awesome I just saw one today and I was like woah! its a land jet

Old 09-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer didn't offer me anything.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Default Newset updates installed

Just received all the latest updates to software (including Voice Command for Nav system) and all mechanical updates for sunroof, rear seat trays and vanity mirrors. All are working well.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great! Can you elaborate on what new functionality the software upgrade brings? Thanks.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Default good news

Originally Posted by ukbusiness
Just received all the latest updates to software (including Voice Command for Nav system) and all mechanical updates for sunroof, rear seat trays and vanity mirrors. All are working well.
Good news, Let us know how it goes from here.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ngregson
Great! Can you elaborate on what new functionality the software upgrade brings? Thanks.
Voice Command for Nav system
Voice command for Audio Control for USB and Ipod (iphone)
And stabilizing of software related problems that we have all been experiencing. My problems had to do with the satellite radio losing access and an occasional left turn signal failure which was intermittent.
I have found one quirk in the nav control - if you sav "go to address" and you have the settings of the voice as UK English - the system responds with "That function is not available in this Language" - If you are set to American English the request is recognized easily - I can only assume that they are still working on the update for the UK and didn't think any of us in the US would want to use the UK voice.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

took our xj to the dealership today for the system update and got an Infiniti for a loaner...will give feedback when i get our car back next week

Quick Reply: 2011 XJ Deferred Technology