XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 XJ V6 Diesel Cold start

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 05:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 XJ V6 Diesel Cold start

Hey all,

Sorry for the new thread , but I couldn't find any specific info on this one in relation to the XJ.
So with all the cold weather and snow past few days (in Dublin we've had like metre of snow in some places), my car has been pretty much buried in the compound in work since Wednesday afternoon. I haven't started it since (mainly because I've been working day and night since), and am jsut wondering am I likely to have trouble getting it going? The snow is starting to thaw since last night as the temperature rises, so I reckon by tomorrow once I shovel away the snow in front and from doors I'll be able to drive it out.
I've only had the car a couple.of weeks, so I don't even knwo what would be normal behaviour for a cold start in this engine, let alone after being buried in snow for a couple days.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance guys

Old 03-03-2018, 05:14 AM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Cash,
It shouldn’t be problem. The weather has been just bad here in Yorkshire. The only thing different with starting a diesel in cold weather is the delay in it firing up after you push the starter button. The injectors have built in heaters and it may take a few seconds before it ready. Just press the button in and wait a few seconds an£ then off you go.
If you select the Winter drive mode it will help in slippy conditions

Old 03-03-2018, 05:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Langstraat
Cash,
It shouldn’t be problem. The weather has been just bad here in Yorkshire. The only thing different with starting a diesel in cold weather is the delay in it firing up after you push the starter button. The injectors have built in heaters and it may take a few seconds before it ready. Just press the button in and wait a few seconds an£ then off you go.
If you select the Winter drive mode it will help in slippy conditions
​​​​​​Ok that's good to hear then, i know the diesels use glow plugs rather than sparks so could certainly take some time to heat up after being cold for so long. I've heard the story about pressing the button and waiting longer than usual for it to kick in, do you press and hold (with on pedal obviously), or press and release then just wait for the cycle to kick in?
im hoping the cold hasn't affected the battery either :-(

Old 03-03-2018, 11:43 AM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Just press the starter button with the pedal depressed until it ‘Purrs’ as only a Jaguar can.
Activate the heated seat and steering wheel the front and rear screens should come on automatically.
Close both the shades on the glass moon roof panels.

Toasty!

Old 03-03-2018, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Must be a 100 year event to have snow like that in Ireland !! We went there for many years in the Summer, and always loved going, (apart from the crossing of St Georges Channel !!). I was always told that the weather in Ireland was one of two conditions - "it's raining", or "it's going to rain". We always had pretty good weather although it was Summer, of course. I took my Jaguar Series 3 a couple of times.