XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2012 XJL Button Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 XJL Button Lights

I have a 2012 XJL The buttons stop lighting up

Yje fuses seem to be all good. All functions work . Not lighting AC button ,Radio station advance meau button . No back lighting on buttons. Buttons opearting as they should

So far only checked fuse box in rear arm rest.

Not sure what that panel is call. Under screen Hope someone knows the proper terminology.

Jaguar stated might need to replace whole panel

Thanks

Old 07-22-2018, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

The panel with the AC and radio controls is known as the AC control panel.

Please can you answer these questions?
1) At night (as it is easier to spot) and with the lighting stalk in the Auto position, do any of the interior lights work? I think from your description the AC control panel (with radio buttons) does not light up anywhere. How about the door handles, roof console, gear selector surround, coin holder, etc?
2) By your right knee is a switch panel with buttons for the trunk release and rear fog lights. There is a wheel there. If you move the wheel does that change your answer to Q1 above?
3) If Q1 was "none of the interior lights work", with the light stalk in the Auto position and at night (or with the exterior part of the windscreen where the mirror attaches covered with a blanket) do the front and rear headlamps actually come on? Does the instrument panel say the headlamps are on?
4) Have they ever worked since the vehicle has been in your possession?

That should help narrow down where to look (fuse, lighting switch, sensor.)

Old 07-22-2018, 08:21 PM

Thanks
Yes these lights did work when brought the car.Was still under warranty at the time with 25 k on it

All the lights on the AC panel do not work , However the Hazard button does light up and dims

All other lights door handles ., gear selector all work

Old 07-22-2018, 08:26 PM

Do you think I need a whole new AC panel.
Do you know if there lamps behind that can be replaced. Was not sure if it was LED

Old 07-23-2018, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

As it is just the AC control panel then I would remove the panel (still connected to the wiring) and with the interior switch lighting on check you have a voltage between pin 5 of the C2ME14A connector and ground (pin 1, or nearest body stud). You should also see about 500 ohms resistance between those two pins. If you have no voltage then suspect the wiring. If it is open circuit you likely have an LED failure. Note that the panel is a critical module on the car's MS-CAN network and if disconnected it can cause the car to shutdown so leave it connected and probe from behind.

If you suspect an LED failure you can open up the panel. It's been a while but I recall a mostly clips, a couple of screws, and some cloth tape around the CD slot opening. Once opened be careful not to lose any of the button inserts. You could then use a multi-meter with a diode test function to check each LED until you find the one that is not working, then either replace, or swap with with a 0 ohm resistor or otherwise bridge it to remove entirely.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
C2ME14A.pdf (371.5 KB, 199 views)
Old 07-24-2018, 08:20 PM

Thanks

The good thing is I understand everything you mention to check and how
To remove the panel Just pry from the sides to pop out