XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2014 XJ Battery Problems or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 12:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2014 XJ Battery Problems or Not?

We currently have a 2007 XK convertible that experienced most if not all the battery problems described here in forums.com. We followed recommendations to purchase and use a CTEK 3300 with excellent results. My question now is it also common to experience battery problems with newer XJ models? We are looking at a 2014 XJ to purchase?

Thanks.

Jagjeep

Old 04-30-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

If you intend to drive the car on a daily basis and with decent mileage, with a correctly functioning car, you should have no problems whatsoever.

The following users liked this post:
jagjeep (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 01:27 PM

Thanks Jim...
I've gotten into the habit of using the CTEK3300 every time I parked the XK in the garage but having to hook up another one for a 2014 XJ seemed like a lot of work, especially since it will most likely be used daily.
Jagjeep (Wally)

Old 04-30-2017, 04:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

jagjeep, the battery tender (CTEK) is really only needed if the car sits for say 3+ days. The reason for this is that the computers in the car are always drawing a small amount of power (up to 100mA or 0.1 amp). Over time, this discharges the battery to the point that the starter does not have enough power to roll the engine. This is where the CTEK unit will maintain the battery and make up these losses.

Older cars this was not a problem as the car was turned off 100% when the key was rolled to the OFF position. So, the battery would remain at full charge for a long, long time.

jagjeep (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

I always connect a ctek to my 2011 if it is to be parked up for a week or more, it is now 6 years old and I believe the constant conditioning of the battery helps to prolong battery life.

jagjeep (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 04:48 PM

With our 2007 XK, as I understand it, you should always lock the Jag when it's parked, even in the garage and use the CTEK tender. I try to do this even if's less than a couple of days. In fact, I lock it even if it will be parked only for a couple of hours. This seems to work well.

With the 2014 XJ, I plan to use it as a daily driver. As a practice, I would think locking it when parked shouldn't be a problem and I would think this should shut down enough computers to help maintain the battery even without using a CTEK 3300.

Would this be a recommended practice?

Jagjeep

Old 04-30-2017, 06:15 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

As long as you're driving every day, then you should be ok. Just don't leave the keys in the car with it unlocked. Lock it, and place keys at least 10ft away. If you plan to go on vacation, then I would put the trickle charger on unless you're taking it to the airport, etc.

jagjeep (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

The 4.2L X150 (XK/XKR) and 5.0L X351 (XJ) use different battery technologies. 4.2L XK/XKR models use a conventional wet-cell ("flooded") battery and 5.0L XJ models use the newer-type Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM") battery, which holds a charge longer than its predecessor. 2013-up XJ models have Intelligent Stop-Start, which includes an additional, smaller auxiliary battery for that purpose.

As indicated in my signature, I have both - a 2009 XKR and a 2013 XJ. Is it necessary to use a battery maintainer for either car? As mentioned above, that depends on how often you drive it and for how long. If it's your daily driver and you drive it long enough to keep the battery fully charged, a battery maintainer isn't necessary.

I use a CTEK MUS4.3 battery maintainer on my XK and XJ because I don't drive both of them every day. I want to keep the batteries fully charged to prevent the random electrical gremlins that are known to happen when a battery starts to lose voltage. Very quick and easy to plug and unplug.

jagjeep (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 06:06 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

My 2014 XJ has a perpetually low battery to the point that my ECO rarely ever works anymore. Jaguar tested the battery and said it was fine, but was reading low. Solution? Not sure. I drive mine almost every day with no more than a day between driving it.

Does locking the car preserve battery? I leave mine unlocked when it is in the garage so maybe I will start locking it.

If you have a tender, do you have one for each battery? Which battery tends to be the one that needs charging/maintaining?

Old 05-01-2017, 06:23 AM

For those that use a maintainer, do you plug it in to the under hood-taps or direct to the battery in the trunk? If I use the under-hood taps, will it charge both batteries?

Old 05-01-2017, 09:55 AM

Stuart S,
Thanks for the information. I wouldn't think it matters a great deal but the 2014 XJ is a V6 short wheel base. Is this correct?

Jagjeep

Old 05-01-2017, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

See this thread for how I installed my CTEK, including photos. I'm not sure if connecting it to the primary battery also charges the secondary stop-start battery, but I haven't had any problems with either battery or any electrical gremlins. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-130801/

jagjeep - I doubt that it makes any difference what engine or wheelbase you have since the goal of using a CTEK is to keep your battery fully charged at all times.

JagGate - is your 2014 XJ still under warranty? If so, I'd ask your dealer to replace both batteries under warranty. A battery that is reading low is NOT fine! That's the reason your stop-start isn't working, and is a precursor to more electrical problems. Unless you replace those batteries, your electrical problems will only continue to get worse. Using a CTEK might help to restore and extend the life of those batteries.

jagjeep (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
JagGate - is your 2014 XJ still under warranty? If so, I'd ask your dealer to replace both batteries under warranty. A battery that is reading low is NOT fine! That's the reason your stop-start isn't working, and is a precursor to more electrical problems. Unless you replace those batteries, your electrical problems will only continue to get worse. Using a CTEK might help to restore and extend the life of those batteries.
It is. I am going to take it in next week most likely for another issue and I will simply tell them ECO does not work and to fix it. My guess is they will charge me for the batteries I doubt they will cover under warranty. If so, I'll just get some DieHards since I am sure whatever they have is 2-3x what I can get it for. If i did use the CTEK would I plug it in under the hood or direct to the batteries?

My other issue is strange. The car sometimes feels like I am driving over bricks. Steering wheel even vibrates. Alignment and balancing have been done with no change. It is not always consistent. Sometimes it is fine. I am wondering if the wheel bearings are bad. It does this even at highway speeds or low speeds.

Also my oil shows as over-filled. I don't think by much it is right at the top of the meter. When I got the car it also showed as over-filled (I removed a little then). I had Jag do it a few weeks ago. Is it normal for them to overfill it a bit?

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-02-2017, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

I connected my CTEK directly to the primary battery in the trunk. See my previous post for the link detailing how I did it. I'm not sure if connecting to the auxiliary power point is preferred or makes any difference.

I suspect your intermittent harsh ride may be due to a malfunctioning rear air suspension. Tell your dealer about the intermittent harsh ride, but don't tell him anything about what you suspect might be the cause. Let them do the diagnosis and see what they conclude.

Engine oil should not be overfilled.

Last edited by Stuart S; 05-02-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:03 PM

Today the ECO was working annoyingly well. AND, the car ran smooth too. Is it possible the two are related? Low battery so something else is also not working correctly that would cause the car to run rough/vibrate?

Old 05-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagGate
Today the ECO was working annoyingly well. AND, the car ran smooth too. Is it possible the two are related? Low battery so something else is also not working correctly that would cause the car to run rough/vibrate?
When you say it ran smooth, did you mean the car rode smooth and not like a brick as you previously described? If so, then there appears to be an intermittent fault with your rear air suspension. Any warning messages? A low battery could be the cause of both problems, stop-start and rough ride.

If the engine is running rough, there are a multitude of possible causes and usually you'll get a CEL or other warning message. The dealer's diagnostic process should be able to quickly find the cause.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:23 AM

When you say it ran smooth, did you mean the car rode smooth and not like a brick as you previously described? If so, then there appears to be an intermittent fault with your rear air suspension. Any warning messages? A low battery could be the cause of both problems, stop-start and rough ride.

If the engine is running rough, there are a multitude of possible causes and usually you'll get a CEL or other warning message. The dealer's diagnostic process should be able to quickly find the cause.
Smooth as in not like driving over bricks. I did get a message that a blind spot sensor was blocked but it went away.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

The 4.2L X150 (XK/XKR) and 5.0L X351 (XJ) use different battery technologies. 4.2L XK/XKR models use a conventional wet-cell ("flooded") battery and 5.0L XJ models use the newer-type Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM") battery, which holds a charge longer than its predecessor. 2013-up XJ models have Intelligent Stop-Start, which includes an additional, smaller auxiliary battery for that purpose.

As indicated in my signature, I have both - a 2009 XKR and a 2013 XJ. Is it necessary to use a battery maintainer for either car? As mentioned above, that depends on how often you drive it and for how long. If it's your daily driver and you drive it long enough to keep the battery fully charged, a battery maintainer isn't necessary.

I use a CTEK MUS4.3 battery maintainer on my XK and XJ because I don't drive both of them every day. I want to keep the batteries fully charged to prevent the random electrical gremlins that are known to happen when a battery starts to lose voltage. Very quick and easy to plug and unplug.
I may have to eat my words about 5.0L XJ models using AGM batteries. I thought I read that somewhere, but can't find the source. Jaguar Merriam Parts online lookup says "Battery -Wet", but that might not be accurate.

To be continued ...

jagjeep (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 292 Posts

I may have to eat my words about 5.0L XJ models using AGM batteries. I thought I read that somewhere, but can't find the source. Jaguar Merriam Parts online lookup says "Battery -Wet", but that might not be accurate.

To be continued ...

IIRC, my local Jag dealer uses Interstate batteries as replacements. Last year, I was going to replace the battery in our '09 XF, and I was "shopping" on the internet, and checked out the Interstate Battery website. There was a different battery listed, for the '09 XF, and the '10 XF, with the primary difference being a higher CCA rating for the '10. I believe that difference in rating was because one was a regular wet cell, and one was an AGM......

jagjeep (05-25-2017)
Old 08-28-2019, 09:28 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JagGate
Smooth as in not like driving over bricks. I did get a message that a blind spot sensor was blocked but it went away.
Did you ever resolve the harsh ride issue? What was the diagnosis? Thanks