XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Audio buttons on steering wheel not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audio buttons on steering wheel not working

Hello,
Background: 2013 XJL, Portfolio 3.0 AWD

On the front- left steering wheel, the audio buttons do not work. Mode, volume (up & down) and next song/radio station do not respond when pressed. Everything else works on the steering wheel.

I did buy this based on someone else's post that had a similar problem with buttons issues: Hosa D5S-6 CAIG DeoxIT 5% Spray Contact Cleaner, 5 oz. (coming in a few days). Not sure if this will fix it, or if I should use it on the buttons.

Any hints, or tips would be appreciated on what might be the cause and a possible fix.

Thank You.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X351 forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

It is possible that cleaning may resolve the issue but with a total failure like that, I would suspect a switchpack or harness fault (item 4):

As you can see, there are several types depending on VIN range.

Graham

Old 11-28-2018, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

As all the switches in the audio switch pack are affected, suspect a common cause. There is just one wire carrying the signal from them all to the touch screen which interprets the button presses by the resistance to ground. It loops through the speed control switch pack on its way so if those switches are all working correctly then it could be a bad wire connection linking them on the signal or ground. If the speed switch pack is also affected then it could be the clock spring which transfers the signals from the wheel to the steering column and can get dirty with age. I've attached the schematic so you can see what is involved.

I would start by removing the airbag (steering wheel at 90 degrees each way to release the sprung wire clip on each side at the rear, then disconnect the vehicle battery for 2 mins before lifting the airbag out and storing in the trunk or under the car so it can't detonate and fly around if it malfunctions). Then check for any obvious loose connectors. Then disconnect the link between the two switch packs and check the resistance between that connector and the one at the audio switch pack. If that all looks ok then with the battery still disconnected remove the touch screen (the trim just pops off, check the touch screen link in my signature for details). Check the resistance between the speed control switch pack pin 4 and a ground point behind the screen. If ok then check pin 1 at the speed control switch pack and pin 14 at the touch screen. Both should be low resistance. If either isn't then suspect the clock spring needs cleaning. If that still all looks ok then maybe an internal failure in the switch pack.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
x351 steering switches.pdf (59.9 KB, 342 views)
Old 11-28-2018, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

y

Last edited by peterpenfly; 11-28-2018 at 08:52 AM. Reason: wrong anser